Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

553,248 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
Throwout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Dog found it next to the house about 15' from where we both would have taken our 1am pee break.

It's the 2nd one we have found and the reason we tell the kids to pay attention.
More importantly, it appears you've discovered that rattlesnakes are attracted to male urine and dog urine. Good to know! I'm going to start having my 1 am pee in the neighbor's yard...
cuz-i-can
AG
What is that growth looking thing towards the tail end of the rattler? Skin shed? Leaf?
Post removed:
by user
dodger02
AG
quote:
its guts
This. What you don't see is a similar growth right between its eyes.

.22 LR

We have a family of cotton tail rabbits behind our back fence and the occasional field mouse running around the back porch. There's also a rat snake (I believe) living under my air conditioner. I've only seen about 4" of its tail slithering under the outside unit.

We're going to have a thorough cleanup of the back yard this afternoon. Maybe I'll have more pictures later this evening that 12f mane can tell me to take somewhere else.

cuz-i-can
AG
Oops...I should've had a more keen eye.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
quote:
C'mon

The OP said to post pictures of your finds. I wasn't deliberately trying to troll - just made a bad joke. Don't take it personally or so seriously. I'll back away and enjoy the thread as it develops from here on.

If I get popped by the mamba living under my A/C this evening, I'll ask my wife to post pics once she reaches the fifth stage of grief (or the celebration dies down).

Ask her to please include pics of the affected limb! (That's a joke in case someone is looking to get butt hurt)
But tell her to have the decency to post in a separate thread pertaining to damaged arms/legs.
Sean98
AG
I love all that is TA today, particularly considering I know some of these people in real life.

I'm just surprised he had time to kill the poor little snake between softball practices/games.
RockinU
quote:
I love all that is TA today, particularly considering I know some of these people in real life.

I'm just surprised he had time to kill the poor little snake between softball practices/games.

That post belongs on the softball board!!! Or something...
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I don't see any sea snakes... Take that picture somewhere else
ttha_aggie_09
AG
His personal thread? This thread exists because of the contributions of many, not just 12fmane. This has also been enjoyed by many on here and has helped people identify snakes they encounter in the outdoors.

The whole point of this thread was to share encounters with snakes, whether they resulted in release, decapitation, or relocation, with the rest of the OB. If you want to derive that this is anyone's thread and there might be some underlying motivation (other than the education of snakes or helping people ID snakes) thats on you.

12f Mane
Finn Maccumhail
AG
JR69
AG
quote:
His personal thread? This thread exists because of the contributions of many, not just 12fmane. This has also been enjoyed by many on here and has helped people identify snakes they encounter in the outdoors.

The whole point of this thread was to share encounters with snakes, whether they resulted in release, decapitation, or relocation, with the rest of the OB. If you want to derive that this is anyone's thread and there might be some underlying motivation (other than the education of snakes or helping people ID snakes) thats on you.

Oh good grief! I "derive" a bit of attitude toward those that don't toe some unstated line. Don't let it bother you though.
Post removed:
by user
12f Mane
AG
Let's get it back on track with a find the snake picture:

Thisguy1
Garter snake?
Tree Hugger
AG
A couple from just outside East Bernard

Harmless garter snake:

Green Mamba:
Throwout
AG
quote:

This is a fun game. I play this all the time with the wife...
12f Mane
AG
Ribbon, but close enough
12f Mane
AG
I prefer hide the snake
BreNayPop
AG
quote:
A couple from just outside East Bernard

Harmless garter snake:

Green Mamba:

Please tell me my sarcasm meter is working right. I admittedly dont know snakes from worms, but this thread has been helpful to id common ones... (fat tail is cottonmouth and the second is obvious corral, right?)
Tree Hugger
AG
Correct sir!
Spotted Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

My wife has no issue at all finding the snake. It's almost not fair it's so easy for her to spot.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

My wife has no issue at all finding the snake. It's almost not fair it's so easy for her to spot.
Handling snakes her whole life, has she?
BreNayPop
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Username is obvious
Tursiops93
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Handling snakes her whole life, has she?
Only harmless little blind snakes????
ATX_AG_08
AG
Milk snakes
RockinU
This thread appears doomed to massive and constant drift...
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
This thread appears doomed to massive and constant drift...

A little levity is not a bad thing.
cwc07
AG
What say you? Bull snake?
CanyonAg77
AG
Yes, bull. Let it live. But if you have time, play with it a little and get it to do its rattlesnake imitation.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
beautiful snake.
cwc07
AG
Yes I let it live. Found in crossing the road around some circles between Dalhart and Cactus. And yes I did get out and play with it. It coiled up and was mimicking a rattlesnake perfectly, front part of body formed the "z" shape and started shaking it's tail. One of the prettier ones I've seen.
Tursiops93
AG

***Disclaimer - This is not my picture and I have no idea who took it, where it was, when it was etc.... I just thought it was very cool to show how beneficial so many snakes can be.
Stive
AG
Thats a cool pic.

So how long will it take a King snake to kill a copperhead like that?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.