Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gun Rest for Blind? (for kids)

10,288 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by ironmanag
HowdyTexasAggies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am having trouble getting my kids stable when shooting in the blind. The main issue is figuring out a way for them to brace their elbow to be more stable. In some of our blinds they are able to get close enough to the end of the front opening thus allowing them to brace against the wall. Some of our blinds this is not possible.

Any suggestions from the great OB?
ironmanag
AG
I have drilled in a shooting stick with a plywood lip for the elbow. cost 45 bucks and works great.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
hmm...that's sounds interesting. Can you share a picture?
TommyGun
AG
I hunted with an old man who would hang a rope sling from the ceiling of the blind. It was a very stable platform for him.
highvelocity
AG
my grandpa used a 2x4 that he cut about 14-16 inches long and screwed in 2 equal pieces onto each side to where it would fit nicely over the lip of the stand. he also added some old carpet on the top to keep it from scratching your rifle during kickback.

he screwed in the two pieces to where they were snug with the blind so it wouldn't rock back and forth as well.

thats the best way i can explain it without a picture. it looked a rectangular prism with the bottom missing.
LewisChilds
AG

http://www.xshot.us/

I've never used one of these so I can't comment on how well it works
TwoMarksHand
AG
Like a shooting stick?

I picked one of these up from Di cks Sporting Goods and it works pretty well, plus its small and lightweight. It's also completely adjustable for height.
MAROON
AG
rest the fore-end stock on the window of the blind and put an adjustable shooting stick under the rear of the stock right behind the grip.

Super steady.

My son uses a Primos adjustable bipod trigger stick and it works very well.
Kolache007
AG
quote:
rest the fore-end stock on the window of the blind and put an adjustable shooting stick under the rear of the stock right behind the grip.

Super steady.

My son uses a Primos adjustable bipod trigger stick and it works very well.
This is exactly what my buddy does with his kids (13 & 8) on our place.
RangerCrew
AG
I purchased a Deadshot FieldPod Max for my boys a couple of years ago and we use it all the time. They use it in the blinds and sighting rifles if the sled isn't handy. It really cleaned up their shooting and is very easy to setup. I'm an old school archery guy and not a fan of shooting aids but this is a very good tool for young and/or inexperienced shooters. I found it on sale for around $70.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/caldwell-174-deadshot-174-fieldpod-max/1947900.uts?searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D0%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DShooting%252Bstick%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTpageType%3Dsearch%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26nl%3Dtrue%26recordsPerPage%3D18%26search%3DSearch%26searchTypeByFilter%3DTopRated%26infiniteScrollType%3Dproduct&No=0&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=Shooting%2Bstick
Chetos
AG
this is one of the hardest things to deal with. I've used a 2x2 cross brace before (bridged from one wall to the other). Whatever you do, make sure they have the rifle secure in their shoulder pocket before they pull the trigger. A scope blackeye can ruin a first hunting experience...seat height is critical too.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Thanks for all the replies...much appreciated. My 9 year old clean missed a cull buck. He was pretty upset. He could not get comfortable and shot anyway due to me rushing him. The buck was walking into trees after dad (me) studied it too damn long.
springbranchparrothead
ironmanag
AG
quote:
hmm...that's sounds interesting. Can you share a picture?
Sure. When I get out there I will take a pic and post it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.