Outdoors
Sponsored by

Using a drill to actuate a winch on a deer feeder?

10,377 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by skelso
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can you put a nut driver on the nut on a winch handle on a feeder to move it up and down? A coworker asked me if I knew how to retrofit a a feeder with a hang em high type mechanism. Her husband is trying to avoid a ladder since his recent back surgery.
AgySkeet06
AG
If the drill was powerful enough i would think its possible. I think to be successful you want want to install a double pully system to eleviate tension/pressure on the wenching mechanism.

If i remember my physics correctly you reduce you effort by the number of pullys in place. Such as 2 pullys reduce effort by half, 4 pullys would reduce effort by quarter.

like this
confucius_ag
AG
A cordless 1/2 impact would work.
lexofer
AG
Something like this? I think my dad has something similar for his winches.

Drill Drive Socket Adapter
sunchaser
AG
I have used them to raise the drop down basketball goals in high school gyms. A small drill won't do it.
BrazosDog02
AG
He has a bad back? SO...once we overthink how to get the feeder down....what's he gonna do with those 50lb bags of corn?
AZAG08
AG
quote:
He has a bad back? SO...once we overthink how to get the feeder down....what's he gonna do with those 50lb bags of corn?
One scoop at a time
ttha_aggie_09
AG
quote:

Exactly what I was thinking. Although he can then technically scoop out 5-10lbs at a time, but the increase workload by repitition will probably pose the same amount of stress as just loading one half or full bag.
skelso
AG

Make a leaf blower driven grain lift. If he can get the sacks to the tailgate, he can open the bag and let it pour into the hopper
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.