Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dog got popped by scorpion

6,251 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Aries
atmhockey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Wife's dog got popped by this scorpion just a few minutes ago? Next steps? Watch for swelling or go to emeergency vet?

Thanks for your help...
fightingfarmer09
Benadryl would be a good start.
wheelz
AG
Amounts to a bee sting. Wouldn't worry much.
Fountain
First step is to kill that little mother f***er and set it on fire...then worry about the dog.
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
quote:
Amounts to a bee sting. Wouldn't worry much.
Next step -- start counting down the hours/days until one of the more dominant inhabitants of the household gets popped . Gonna hurt like heck for a very short while, then everything back to normal . . . until the next time.

Me - hit on top of bare foot.
Wife - lower leg.
Daughter (around 5) - wrist.
Others - biding there time.

I've learned to pay really close attention to those small shadows and inconsistencies on the floor, carpet, stairs, etc. We pay for exterminator every year or so, not sure if works. I do think the spray around the foundation perimeter does though.
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
I'm just happy this didn't happen to you while you were on the can during an Aggie Football game!
Stormchaser
AG
My doberman bites and kills wasps for fun when we are in the yard. He gets stung, of course, but it does not seem to bother him much, or he would not keep doing it. Tough dog. But after one time being hit by a scorpion, he stares at it similar to the look a pointer gives to a bird in cover. I know the look and turn on the den light and sure enough there will be a scorpion crawling across the tile floor. I assume he can smell them. We live in the country and have have several throughout the year get inside. He has much respect for them now. He doesn't swell up or have any problems with them, but I am sure they hurt him as much as they do us.
hillcountryag86
AG
Hate those things. Been stung more times than I can count. Part of life in the Hill Country, I suppose. About two years ago, I found a pest control service that comes every three months. I have not seen a scorpion in two years. The guy said they developed a spray and everyone seems to be happy with it. I am.

Probably got stuff in it I don't want to know about. But it works.
jrbaggie
Their appearance makes them seem a lot more potent than they are. We live in the county with lots of post oak trees around (lots of sand). They have always been a pest, especially when the house was new in 2001. Demon is a tremendous product for scorpions. Spray around the edge of your foundation about every 90 days and you will soon rid yourself of the biggest threat of scorpions. Pay close attention to the weep holes in your brick.
AgEng06
AG
Demon is what my guy uses as well. We have had 2 treatments of it now and our scorpion numbers in the house have all but gone away.

That said, I got stung about a month ago at my parents' house. I was standing up and it crawled up my pants leg and stung me right above my sock on my calf. I'm sure my dance to get him out was a sight to see...
Kenneth_2003
AG
Don't know if it works for scorpions, but I recently started doing my own perimeter defense with a 38% Permethrin product and it's cut down/eliminated everything else that was getting into my home. I've also seen fewer spiders hiding in the blinds and along the baseboards. A lot cheaper than hiring a pest guy and application takes me about 15 minutes from start to finish.
BigGameAg07
AG
"Next step"? You kidding? Next step is go on about your day.
AgsMnn
AG
4 yo got popped this last weekend. Cried for a minute and suddenly stopped when we put a bandaid on it.

Still waiting my turn.
malenurse
AG
quote:
Don't know if it works for scorpions, but I recently started doing my own perimeter defense with a 38% Permethrin product and it's cut down/eliminated everything else that was getting into my home. I've also seen fewer spiders hiding in the blinds and along the baseboards. A lot cheaper than hiring a pest guy and application takes me about 15 minutes from start to finish.

For the most part, most insecticides don't work on spiders because arachnids do not put their feet in their mouths to eat. Therefore, residual poison is ineffective. You have to spray them directly. Or, use a broom.
water turkey
I was talking on the phone the other day (barefoot), when I realized that I was standing on a scorpion (after he stung me). Guy on the other end of the line got a earful.
hillcountryag86
AG
I've been stung more times than I can count. I hate those thing.

The worst though, was when I was a kid. I stepped out of the shower and grabbed a towel. I had my eyes closed because I had soap in my eyes and was too lazy and dumb to simply rinse a little longer.

So I grab the towel and press it to my face to dry and get the soap off. Sure enough, there was a scorpion on the towel and it got me twice on the upper lip.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
quote:

For the most part, most insecticides don't work on spiders because arachnids do not put their feet in their mouths to eat. Therefore, residual poison is ineffective. You have to spray them directly. Or, use a broom.
yes but like most pests the solution is to destroy wither the habitat or the food they are seeking. A good pest control regime will limit the food that the damn devils are after. I had some in the acreage house we bought in Brazos country and have kept a near radioactive perimeter barrier around the house and see damn near NADA critters. The devils are gone also.
However in some parts of Texas they are just a fact of life ..kinda like skeeters on the coast.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Man, these stories are giving me the willies. I grew up in the burbs of Houston and never had to worry about them. I don't think I ever saw one on my family's land in Brenham, either, although I've ran into several around College Station.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Agreed. I think in my case, I had spiders because the spiders had food. My lawn in biologically rich and diverse. I attribute this to a relatively healthy lawn that is mowed/mulched regularly and therefore provides ample woody material for those insects whose role in life is to breakdown and consume organic matter. I'm fine with them outside and in my lawn doing their thing. I'm less than thrilled when they move their activities indoors.
I don't know if this product will control scorpions directly or not. However if it controls the food source of the scorpions they will be more likely to move on as well in their search for food. At least that was my case with the spiders.
rab79
AG
Ice is your friend if you wind up on the wrong end of a scorpion, the sooner you get it on the sting the faster it will stop hurting.
Allen76
AG
I have seen my dog, while walking across the lawn, begin squealing in pain and continue squealing for maybe 30 seconds. The only thing I can figure is it was a scorpion as we could not find anything in the area and she did not have any injuries.

We have lots of scorpions outside the house, and use Demon to keep them out of the house. I would wager that our dogs get stung pretty often because they cover a lot of ground in the yard each day. There are always a few dead scorpions in the bottom of the pool.
Antifederalist
AG
Whatever you do don't nuke them. You'll be buying a new microwave.
atmhockey
AG
update. Dog was fine 5 minutes later. I caught the ******* put it in some glass tuperware and keeping it as a pet.

Actually I did keep it until morning to show my daughters. BAD IDEA. They now refuse to walk on the floor!
CactusThomas
AG
I thought we were talking about a CZ.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Then what exactly are the daughters walking on?
harrierdoc
AG
Do you live in the Richardson area. Double dip trapping them and the bobcats that are decimating the dog population.
SquawkITag
AG
Demon from Ace Hardware will kill the heck out of them. Safe for pets, people, etc....

BurnetAggie99
Onslaught FastCap Spider and Scorpion Insecticide, Will last for 12 months and active ingredients are Esfenvalerate and Prallethrin.

LambdaStar UltraCap 9.7 has a higher mortality rate after 12 weeks. It is a micro-encapsulated lambda-cyhalothrin formulation.

Cyper WP is a wetable powder with 40.0% Cypermethrin.

BrownDeerAggie
AG
Exterminator friend back home in Thorndale, Texas solved our problem. If you have an ongoing infestation it is usually in the attic/crawl space above the ceiling. Scorpions prefer to drop out of trees onto the roof and find their way in around the eaves. He sprayed the attic and I cut any branches that hung over the roof. People are often stung in bed at night--the scorpion most likely drops into the bed from a crack around a light fixture or ceiling fan over the bed. Attic spraying and limb trimming and no more scorpions; spraying around the foundation failed to do anything for us.
Aries
Was pulling out Christmas decorations & got to the bottom of the container to find this mother f&#$er.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.