Outdoors
Sponsored by

People hunt watusi cattle?

14,642 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by SanAntoneAg
angryocotillo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found this picture while perusing Brushy Creek Outdoor's website. Has anybody heard of this or done it before? Are these cattle elusive and weary or would be similar to hunting a brangus?

Sean98
AG
Don't know what/where that outfitter's website is, but it's big business in Australia to hunt wild cattle.
B-1 83
AG
Some in South Africa. They can be mean bastages.
Furlock Bones
AG
if a man wants a side of beef, he wants a side of beef.
Dr. Maturin
I've always wanted a set of Watusi horns for the wall. Would rather shoot it then not I guess.
schmellba99
AG
Wild cattle hunting is big in South America as well - and from what I can understand, can be extremely dangerous because you are typically pushing through very thick brush and these cattle are wild and aggressive.
44mAG
AG
Very common on high fence ranches even in Texas. I don't think it would interest me much.

plowboy1065
S
A buddy had some already wild cattle get into the woods once and it took us almost a year to finally get them all out. The thought of selling wild cow hunts certainly was brought up a few times
harge57
AG
Taxidermist I know was asked to do "Lurch" after he died (from natural causes I think). You never know what you will find when you walk out behind his house.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I know there is a breed of cattle in Africa that had horns similar to a Watusi
MasterAggie
AG
You're right. They are called Watusi. They originated in Africa.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I heard they are commonly hunted in Hawaii, but that's as much about meat and population control as anything else
Centerpole90
AG
I did not believe that was real. Upon google searching I guess it is, or someone has gone to some great lengths to fabricate a hoax. Wow.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
My bad, when I saw them at the Houston zoo the plaque had a different name on it

Upon googling, it is the ankole Watusi cow
MasterAggie
AG
just busting your chops a little.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
a good chop busting every now and then is a good thing
FSGuide
A few years ago I had an idea to cross Watusi with Bison and let them go on a ranch and then sell Watuffalo hunts. (I know, I know. Bison =\= buffalo). I couldn't get anyone to partner with me though. I'd sure like to see what they look like!
tdm89
I thought Watusi was Shirley Q.'s friend?
JYDog90
AG
You know as the GoGo's sang: "Do the Watusi, just give us a chance. That's when they fall in line."
plowboy1065
S
And Beverly Berkwinder
SWCBonfire
AG
I can think of several wild cows I would have liked to shot over the years. Gotten rid of them over the years. High-headed, tail's out snakey b*tches.
tx4guns
AG
That black and white one in the OP is probably an Nguni breed of cattle bred in Africa. Watusi has much bigger horns, as the subsequent photos show. Wtusi cannot be dehorned, as they have so much vascularization in the horn, they will bleed to death. Learned that at Bayou Wildlife park.
duddleysdraw88
AG
quote:
I can think of several wild cows I would have liked to shot over the years. Gotten rid of them over the years. High-headed, tail's out snakey b*tches.
and those are just the ones you drug out of the Hall of Fame....
Allen76
AG
My family had to hunt down some wild ones before. They get pretty darn wild and hunting is pretty similar to hunting anything else.

This happened because my grandfather and his brother owned and ran a ranch together. As they got older, they could not keep up the place as well. Their large cedar log corral developed weak spots. Every time we would herd them in, the wildest ones would find a hole and jump back out and haul azz. Over the years, these got wilder and wilder. Then when my grandfather died, and a few years later his brother died, we were splitting up the ranch and decided to wipe out the few wild ones that were left. We would get together and butcher the ones we killed.... talk about some dark red lean strong tasting beef! There was no fat at all that I can remember. It was best to mix it with other fatty beef.
Sean98
AG
I'm pretty sure I'd rather hunt wild ass Texas cattle in the mesquite flats of South Texas than I would a pen raised elk in the hill country. Some of the places I've been on down South the cattle will wind you, blow, and run like hell just like a native whitetail will.
CanyonAg77
AG
Sign me up for a high-fence hunt!

AggieDruggist89
AG
What Canyon said
DayAg!
S
quote:
Sign me up for a high-fence hunt!
Ah yes the elusive sedated bovine species.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Say, off a horse, with a rope, and then drive them to Kansas...
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
If shooting feral pigs is hunting, no reason shooting feral cattle wouldn't be.
Walter Kovacs
AG
hmm, fighting bulls. sign me up.

http://www.denniserskinesafaris.com/fighting-bulls.htm
giddings_ag_06
AG
Several ranches in Giddings have them. A banker in town has about ten or so acres high fenced that he raises some on and sells to ranches. Some of them suckers can get huge.
SWCBonfire
AG
quote:
quote:
and those are just the ones you drug out of the Hall of Fame....

Nothing but fancy #1's for me now.
SanAntoneAg
AG
quote:
You know as the GoGo's sang: "Do the Watusi, just give us a chance. That's when they fall in line."

There's the Joe Walsh song in Fast Times at Ridgemont High that has a similar lyric.

Do the Watusi
Watch I Love Lucy
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.