Outdoors
Sponsored by

Sometimes the Outdoors is closer than you think (TLDR/Pic warning)

5,598 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by CharlieBrown17
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There used to be a spot in town a lot of guys would fish in high school, the fishing was never great and the gar were there some (though a few took care of that for the rest of us with bows every now and then) but it was our place to hang. The best part was it only was a few minutes from the school and only took driving into an empty lot in the back of a neighborhood and a short hike down hill. Once there you would be greeted by an old railroad bridge over the water, a dam with a spillway in the middle and usually quiet nature unless another group (that you most likely knew) was already down there.

Much to my dismay, when I got home from college this summer there were houses in that empty lot and it appeared basically inaccessible now. Fast forward 2 months and I had a kayak and a plan on how to get there again. My plan was pretty straight forward, I would put in the water in a park not all that far away and float down to it.

Since I knew it was very likely many people didn't go there anymore and nobody new was learning about it, I thought the fishing would be good and I would have my own honey hole more or less. I loaded up the yak, grabbed my gear and started early one morning to spend the morning down there. The trek in was rougher than I thought it would be and I found a few places I had to get out and pull my yak through or carry it around rocks in the way.Eventually, after a few breaks to swear and lament the death of one of my shoes, I made it to the spot where I knew it started to get deep and remembered the reason I was here.

From here it gets about 6-7 foot deep and goes on like that for about 200 yards, the bridge is halfway down and the dam is the end of the deep section. It was just one of those places where you get the feeling no other human has been there in a long, long time. It was quiet and peaceful, as I started to paddle in, a huge bass broke the water and I began to get excited.my excitement didn't last long however because I glanced over to the side of my yak and got a glimpse of this guy.

This shifted my attention from bass to gar and I started to look around a little more. I guess I hadn't realized before how many gar really were shot here when everyone came down here all the time. Before I got to the bridge I counted 30 gar, ranging from a foot to 2 and a half foot mostly with some a little bigger and one(in the picture) 4-5 foot long based on him next to my 12' yak. Being relatively new to kayaking and not exactly an expert angler I decided what looked like a good meal to a bass probably appealed to gar as well and I pushed on to the dam to fish from more solid footing.After a while spent on the dam casting everywhere I could reach I sat and just enjoyed the view for a while and thought about how crazy it was that an entire subdivision in the middle of town was just beyond the trees on the bank to my right. I snapped a picture of the bridge from the dam and the water flowing down the spillway and went on my way.

The whole time I was down there, plenty of fish were active on the other side of the bridge from the dam but I shut down the fishing side of my brain by this point was just in the for scenery by now. I slowly and almost silently paddled back towards home, passing gar and bass living side by side at least for now. Probably the coolest thing was pulling up past a spotted fawn very clumsy crashing through brush on the bank, blissfully unaware I was there.

I got to the point where I had to get out and pull again and decided my yak had earned itself a "cool car pic" on the river so I got out, took one then pulled, carried, and paddled my way home.

All in all it was great to see an old haunt of mine get returned to a much more natural state but part of me will miss the trips down there with the guys plus a few hours spent with a girl here and there and wishes that others would still get that chance.

SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Thanks. That reminds me of something I need to do.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
HuntingGMan
Centerpole90
Aggielandma12
AG
Nice photos. What part of the state is this?
Thunder18
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I'm going to guess Trinity River. There are a crap ton of gar on it.

Great photos!
Spinnaker96
AG
Thanks for this.
ccard257
Moon Shadow
Reminds me of summer days (early 1950's) in elementary school of hanging around with some of my siblings and a male cousin & his friends, on, around, and under an old (but actively used) MN & S (Minneapolis, Northfield & Southern) railroad bridge in southern Minnesota.
Bridge was over a creek that could really flood with spring snow melt and/or heavy spring and summer rains. Flooded worse with mid 50's ditching of upstream swamps and marsh lands. Before the ditching it flowed all summer and seldom flooded!
No real fish but lots of minnows, frogs and crawfish.
CharlieBrown17
AG
quote:

Great photos!

You would think it was, but its actually the San Gabriel
Strongwind86
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
quote:

Great photos!

You would think it was, but its actually the San Gabriel

Doh! I grew up in Georgetown and have been on it many times for white bass above Granger.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I put in below the dam at San Gabriel park to get here
Sean98
AG
Well done, sir.
AggieRain
GatorAg03
AG
I grew up on that stretch of river. I hve floated the entire stretch from San Gabriel Park to Roe Valley Bridge. I have pulled a ton of fish out of it. It is world class gar and carp fishing haha, but there are actually some decent bass and catfish once you find the holes. It is also phenomenal fly fishing for Rio grande cichlids and other sunfish if that appeals to you.
Bighamp03
AG
We had a spot like that. Not nearly as beautiful, but we loved it. It was a couple of miles from my grandparent's house. We had inflatable rafts that we could stuff in a duffel bag, along with a foot pump and tackle. We would bungee our rods to the frame of our bikes, put the bags on our backs, and ride out there.

We had to go down railroad tracks for a half of a mile, and crawl under a barbed wire fence. We were trespassing, but i think it was a set of reservoirs owned by Texaco. We never saw anyone else out there. We would paddle the reservoirs and catch lots of 1-3lb bass. Always caught and released, and always left the place cleaner than we found it. I don't advocate trespassing as an adult, but 10-12 year old boys don't really care about that.

Once we got trucks and drivers licenses, we started going to the beach and surf fishing.
CharlieBrown17
AG
There were carp a plenty as well

Where is roe valley bridge at?
water turkey
Nice pics and story. Well done.
GatorAg03
AG
Its a bit up river from circleville. It gets pretty shallow from the 29 bridge (Maikon's crossing not sure on spelling ) to there. I wouldn't try to float that stretch if the river isn't high.

From san gabriel park to berry creek is a good days float, but I'm not sure you can legally take out at berry creek anymore.
CharlieBrown17
AG
OK, I have a pretty good idea where you're talking about.

I'm going tejas camp to the lake one morning next week.

I'll dig around to see if I can find out anything about berry creek, sounds like a good float
GatorAg03
AG
Tejas to the lake is not too bad a stretch, but you will be paddling a lot, especially as the lake backs up the river. The water is very clear there though. The white bass fishing in the Spring can be excellent at Tejas. The whie bass are much bigger than you typically get at circleville/above granger since Georgetown lake has a higher size limit.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I've heard that about the white Bass that way, hoping to be able to get home for a fishing weekend this spring semester
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.