Outdoors
Sponsored by

Is it time to rethink your EDC? terror attack in GARLAND

10,857 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TheEyeGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/03/police-shooting-at-muhammad-cartoon-contest-in-texas/

Poeag
AG
Play stupid games won stupid prizes
Ag for Life
AG
Officer shot in leg, but OK.

2 terrorists dead. They believe their car is loaded up with explosives of some sort.

I call that a win!
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Up here for a wedding. Drove right by it on George Bush parkway. Freaking nuts... Police cars, flares, and helicopters everywhere. Jade Helm guys are going to go nuts over this
JYDog90
AG
I'm really surprised that Garland ISD and the City of Garland would host something like this. Or probably more accurately, rent to them. That shows some balls on their part. But if there is one thing in the world that would put a gigantic neon, "bomb here" sign on your roof, it would be to host a Muhammed cartoon contest.
LawCC
AG
They hosted an event for Muslim leaders not soon after the attack on Paris. Schools can either let all rent or none.
TEXAS A and M
I think I'll be rolling with my AR in my truck.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
No balls about it. They have to let anyone use it.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Didnt mean to use the thumbs down there
JYDog90
AG
I hear you, EyeGuy, but this is pretty high up there in terms of offensive to Muslims given Paris. I'm surprised they wouldn't say, "Eh, I think we'll let this one go to court. We'll just ask for forgiveness." That takes courage to know that you've seemingly got a better than even money chance to get bombed or shot

Edit: No worries, thanks for the clarification.
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
I hear you, EyeGuy, but this is pretty high up there in terms of offensive to Muslims given Paris. I'm surprised they wouldn't say, "Eh, I think we'll let this one go to court. We'll just ask for forgiveness." That takes courage to know that you've seemingly got a better than even money chance to get bombed or shot

Edit: No worries, thanks for the clarification.
There were a lot of people that were protesting when the Muslim event was held, saying the school shouldn't rent it out to them for a multitude of reasons (ranging from because they're Muslim, to because they're anti-American, to because religious events shouldn't be held on public property). Garland ISD responded with - as long as they aren't breaking the law, there's no reason why they can't use the facility. So, regardless of what event was going to be held there, saying no to anyone that "wasn't breaking the law" could've stirred up controversy.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Good thing hunting over bait isn't illegal here.
TEXAS A and M
They should do this monthly and TPWD should raffle off hunts.
OnlyForNow
AG
I see what you did there.
FSGuide
This morning the news is reporting that one of the gunmen had been the focus of an FBI terror investigation in the past. And live video of their car looks like the bomb squad definitely set off something in it. And 20 minutes before the attack, it was announced on a jihadist tweeter account.
Hoss
AG
Read the story, but what's special about it that requires us to reconsider our EDC? Did I miss something?
Magic Mike
I think he's asking if a micro gun with 5/6/7 shots is a good enough?
DBSwooper
Every Day Carry, serious business and should be undertaken with a certain amount of thought (which most of have done):

http://winchesterundead.com/main/every-day-carry/
Hoss
AG
quote:
Every Day Carry, serious business and should be undertaken with a certain amount of thought (which most of have done):

I know what EDC is. I just didn't see anything about this particular story that makes me think, "Oh, I really need to reconsider what I carry." Hence my question. I thought maybe there were details in the story that I missed.
OnlyForNow
AG
Open carrying a 5.56 with 30 round mag is what my preferred would be in this situation.
CanyonAg77
AG
The event was at a school, was it not? So concealed carry would not be an option?
Tom Doniphon
quote:
They should do this monthly and TPWD should raffle off hunts.
cplatt
From a law enforcement perspective, this is a good example of why complacency cannot be tolerated no matter how many "idle" threats you receive for events that come and go. Good on Garland PD for not only having their SWAT on location but for them taking care of business.

I will now edit this to say good on the officer working in the parking lot, be it a side job or not, for being prepared.
DBSwooper
quote:
quote:

I know what EDC is. I just didn't see anything about this particular story that makes me think, "Oh, I really need to reconsider what I carry." Hence my question. I thought maybe there were details in the story that I missed.
No, just the last part of what I posted: training. *Real* training, when is the last time all of us spent time with it. Not just range time, but scenario based training, first aid, etc.
HalifaxAg
AG
quote:

Just for the record, when we start changing how we live our lives, the terrorists have won...

I see this as proof positive of an armed society dealing with a threat in 15 seconds or less with no civilians killed.
aggielostinETX
AG
quote:
The event was at a school, was it not? So concealed carry would not be an option?

GISD owned, but not a school per se.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
I'm really surprised that Garland ISD and the City of Garland would host something like this. Or probably more accurately, rent to them. That shows some balls on their part. But if there is one thing in the world that would put a gigantic neon, "bomb here" sign on your roof, it would be to host a Muhammed cartoon contest.

But Islam is the religion of peace, the 1% that do these things are all over in the Middle East, so I don't see how you could say that this was an invitation to get bombed.....
CrossBowAg99
AG
F the Muslims
Tom Doniphon
quote:
F the Muslims

The religion of peace...

And beheading, bombing, and torture if you disagree with them.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
GISD owned, but not a school per se.
Thanks. News reports are unclear.. (surprise)
fixer
thought provoking article about this very subject...written not too long ago.

www.fpftraining.com/concealed-carry-in-the-era-of-terror-part-one
EMY92
AG
Unfortunately, if you base your EDC on the worst case scenario you'd have to go everywhere in an M1A1 Abrams tank.
I Like Mike
AG
quote:
Unfortunately, if you base your EDC on the worst case scenario you'd have to go everywhere in an M1A1 Abrams tank.
I'd be cool with that but TxDOT might have a problem with it....
Hoss
AG
quote:
No, just the last part of what I posted: training. *Real* training, when is the last time all of us spent time with it. Not just range time, but scenario based training, first aid, etc.
It's funny you should mention that. Just a couple of weeks ago I signed up for a couple of classes at this place...

http://tacticalfirearmstrainingaustin.com

I've never taken classes there before but I've heard good things about them.

Your comments on training are spot on though. Shortly after I got my CHL I took some beginner and intermediate "Combat Handgun" classes at this place: http://www.weaponsacademy.com. Prior to that I thought I knew a lot, but those classes made me realize I didn't know much of anything. The two days of training I took there completely changed how I train. I very rarely just stand at a firing line and and shoot at paper anymore. It just doesn't prepare you for real life. Unfortunately, I still don't train as much or as often as I should.
I Like Mike
AG
The would-be terrorists in Garland fell for one of the classic blunders: Never assume that you've outgunned an art show in Texas.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.