Outdoors
Sponsored by

Geckos around the house

12,292 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by aggiedent
AUAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any of y'all have these ugly ass gecko's around your house? We are starting to see a lot of these & last year seemed to be inundated with them. I'm sure they're useful & eat bugs & stuff but I don't like opening the back door & have a big fat one land on my head. Plus if they get in the house they're lightning fast. How can I get rid of them?
CrossBowAg99
AG
My two year old is scared of them too. He will not even go outside if he sees one.
Kenneth_2003
AG
The white bumpy ones? Cool as heck on s window, you can see their heartbeat and watch bugs go into their stomachs.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Really dude, you're scared of geckos?
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Really dude, you're scared of geckos?

OP probably wets his bed when the thought of being in Australia crosses his mind.
AUAg92
AG
Hilarious..... No, not scared. They just seem to be taking over & I didn't know if others were having the same problem. More of a nuisance than anything.
CrossBowAg99
AG
I have had a similar problem and looked into it. I think it is the plants. They like some way more than others.

Although, we built a new house last year and literally have nothing but St Augustine and we have a decent amount of them hanging around.

The neighbors may harbor them though.
techno-ag
AG
Sticky traps, the ones designed for scorpions & other bugs. Put against the wall. If they get in the house they'll find the trap.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
They eat bugs. Plus, they are cute. If you do want to take one from inside to outside, don't grab it by the tail.
rather be fishing
AG
They're invasive, but they do cut down on the number of bugs. We seem to have lost all of the ones around our house. Probably a combination of spraying for bugs and the drought. Haven't seen one in over a year that I can remember.
harge57
AG
I have tons of them. Strangely they always hide in the crack of my door next to the hinges when I open it. I have tons of perfectly smooshed gecko bodies imprinted by my door hinges. They are cool to watch on the windows catching bugs.
The Fife
They're invasive but they don't seem to be displacing anything. I don't see what the problem is...
el aggie
AG
If you don't have anything for them to eat in your house, they wouldn't be there so much. I would imagine the more you try to eliminate them, the bigger pest problem you could potentially end up with.
CrottyKid
AG
You could get some guineas. They'll eat the geckos or at least run them off. On second thought, you could probably just put out a couple of bird feeders and a squirrel feeder. The geckos would maybe be scared of the birds and squirrel. I think the main predator of the gecko is snakes. I'd rather have geckos than snakes.
AggieChemist
AG
Y'all seriously need to cowboy up. I'm in Africa and there is a 12" lizard living in the roof of my hut. I drink whiskey and converse with him before bed.

My gawd. Get some skirts for the OB.
benchmark
AG
There's this wonderful new thing they call Google you may want to check out.

Geckos - Texas A&M AgriLife
tx4guns
AG
I'm with Chemist. It's just a lizard. They're cute and beneficial.
EMY92
AG
I like bugs less than geckos, so the geckos get a pass from me. Last week, I made a rare trip into the storage closet in my garage, I heard a strange sound and then saw the biggest gecko that I'd ever seen. I left him alone figuring that he was eating a lot of bugs to get that huge.
Caladan
Turn off all your household lights, and leave them off. The geckos are attracted to the bugs that are attracted by your lights. No bugs -- no geckos.

Of course, living without lights might be problematic. If I were you, I would find something more worthwhile to worry about, like mold in your grout or something, and let them be.......
MK PhD2014
If you really want to get rid of them use sticky traps. I put some out for mice and have caught about 20 Gekos.
Aggie Infantry
AG
My two Doxies are very good killers of reptiles.
schmellba99
AG
We have a metric crap ton of them. Never thought much one way or another of them being good or bad; they pose zero danger and zero nuisance. Same for the green tree frogs that seem to have come out of nowhere.

I just assumed they eat bugs, and eating bugs is a good thing. Especially since we are in the middle of the second coming of Noah's flood and the mosquitos will soon look like Roman legions conguering the known world.
88jrt06
AG
quote:
If you really want to get rid of them use sticky traps. I put some out for mice and have caught about 20 Gekos.
But....why?

They do no harm and eat insects.
I've had em around for about 10 years; they seem to get along w/the anoles, who also eat bugs.

REALLY strange thread, this one.
Hamburger Dan
We have a crap ton of them in the Wichita Falls area. I've lived here forever, but just started noticing them a few years ago. An exterminator guy told me they have become more common because of the drought. Who knows?
Max06
AG
I have TONS of them in various species, around my place. I also have a ton of brown earth snakes, racers, etc. around the place as well. I think it's pretty neat. I'd rather have them than tons of bugs.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
My two year old is scared of them too. He will not even go outside if he sees one.

I would add this to the list of things I wouldn't say out loud.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They freak my wife out, but I'm all for the bug-eating they provide. The only ones we find in the house typically scrambled through an open door. I go with the "catch and release" program and just put them back outside, although to the point above, they do require some gentle handling so not to tear them apart or squish the **** out of them.
agent-maroon
AG
Glue traps will work but be aware that you might discover a previously unknown rodent and/or other vermin infestation. A few years ago I put out some glue traps out on the roof trying to figure out where the rats were getting in to the attic. A few days later I'm sitting in our sunroom and hear this "whomp" sound followed by a jazz drum brush sound. I go outside with the flashlight to find a rat and a half eaten gecko caught in the trap & resting on the hot tub cover. The "whomp" was when the trap & passengers sledded off the roof onto the cover and the drum brush was the rats tail whipping across the cover.

That rat was pissed off. He tail whipped me the whole time I was carrying him out into the yard for the head shot.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
NW80
AG
Live trap them and give them to me!
STX Ag
AG
quote:

I got a little female one that has a serious vendetta against geckos and lizards.

Shall I send her over OP?
Caladan
quote:
quote:

I got a little female one that has a serious vendetta against geckos and lizards.

Shall I send her over OP?

Hunting dog's gotta hunt. We had two long-haired mini-dachels. They were hell on anything that moved, except for the cat. The cat was the sherrif in our little town.......
Tagguy
AG
quote:
Y'all seriously need to cowboy up. I'm in Africa and there is a 12" lizard living in the roof of my hut. I drink whiskey and converse with him before bed.

My gawd. Get some skirts for the OB.

And that's exactly what we're gonna do to 'em Ags!!!

Op needs to grow a pair
BCO07
AG
horrific

tx4guns
AG
This should give you nightmares.

Buck O Five
AG
Ours has done wonders for our car insurance.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.