Outdoors
Sponsored by

The Alamo

23,733 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 1990Hullaballoo
ItsA&InotA&M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It was on this day 179 years ago that General Santa Anna laid siege to the Alamo after Texians inside answered a surrender demand with a canon shot. Long live Texas
AgEng06
TxLawDawg
AG
Long live Texas!
AggiePride07
AG
Liberty or Death!
cledus6150
AG

TEXAS A and M
In 1985 Pee Wee found out his bike was not in the basement.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Come and Take It
SouthparkKenny
Lungblood
I'd rather be a fence post in Texas than the king of Tennessee. No offense Davy.
Walter Kovacs
AG
great great great grandfather Andrew Kent
SouthparkKenny
The first cannon shot is fired....

SouthparkKenny
AgTDub
AG
quote:
Add another "Great" to that for me. Who knew? One of my cousins first and middle name is Andrew Kent.

SouthparkKenny
Physical Graffiti
AG
Descendant of Col. James C. Neill here! The same Neill that started the revolution:

quote:
Neill discharged the same cannon the dragoons had hoped to acquire. That shot ignited the Texas Revolution. At least two sources confirm that Neill personally touched off the "Come and Take It" cannon. "It is not recorded," stated John Holland Jenkins, "but it is nevertheless a fact the Colonel Neill fired the first gun for Texas at the beginning of the revolutionthe famous little brass cannon at Gonzales." Extolling Neill's performance at Gonzales, D. C. Barrett wrote Sam Houston: "He was the first in camp whose experience was sufficient to mount & point a cannon at the enemies of Texas, and of liberty in our land."
From TAMU Archives

Remember the Alamo!
SouthparkKenny
Walter Kovacs
AG
quote:
quote:
Add another "Great" to that for me. Who knew? What part of the state are you from Kovacs?

i just redid the tree (lesson learned. don't rely on grandma's math) and he was my great great great great grandfather. my family has been in the valley for maybe a century but before that it was kerr county. i think it goes something like this andrew kent -> mary ann kent -> william riley -> ??? Smith -> my grandmother -> my father -> me.
DiskoTroop
quote:
Fellow citizens and compatriots;

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna. I have sustained a continual Bombardment and cannonade for 24 hours and have not lost a man. The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken. I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, and our flag still waves proudly from the walls. I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism and everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch. The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily and will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible and die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor and that of his country. VICTORY or DEATH.

William Barret Travis Lt. Col. Comdt.

P.S. The Lord is on our side. When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn. We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels and got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

Travis
QuesoMuchacho
AG
Remember the Alamo!
76Ag
AG
My grandfather of many greats was at San Jacinto under Sterling Robertson. However, he was older than most and was assigned to guard the horses and infirm. When the rout started the Mexicans ran right past them and they got into the fight that way. I think we had one at the Alamo, too but that is less certain. I am certain of the San Jacinto participant.
mike073
AG
They are showing John Wayne's movie there in the courtyard Saturday night at 6. Free.

http://www.thealamo.org/calendar/events/2015/02-28-2015-history-vs-hollywood-movie.html
Gig 'em Aggies!

SouthparkKenny
CanyonAg77
AG
mfbarnes: Where are you getting those Diorama photos?
Centerpole90
AG
Those are awesome.
AgNColorado
My great great great great grandfather Thomas B. Huling shipped weapons for Sam Houston and was paid in land. He was one of the largest landowners ever in Texas and we still have a good bit to this day. He was responsible for donating the land for Georgetown and Beaumont along with several other smaller communities in Texas.
AgNColorado
To bad my family sold a big ranch out by Midland in the 40s
TxLawDawg
AG
CanyonLakeAg, what's the story with your name? I'm from Canyon Lake and wonder if I know you.
AgNColorado
My first job after college was in New Braunfels and I lived on canyon lake. Other than that I don't know of any connection to the area that my family has...at least not in the last couple generations.
SouthparkKenny
SouthparkKenny

SouthparkKenny

Deerdude
I lost three family that got caught by Mx Cavalry on the way to Goliad from Oakville. Historical marker in Oakville.

Had 5 at San Jacinto. 3 actually fought, and father and youngest brother of the three were detailed with supply. Winters family from......Winters, duh.
SouthparkKenny
The Demise of James Bowie on the chilly early morning of March 6-1836

As the defenders were driven back- rooms adjacent to the low barracks became exposed. One in particular was barred and locked which attracted a large group of soldados who were now more intent in looting-believing there to be a cache of loot within they frantically began smashing and chopping through the locked wooden door!

And behind that door, delirious with fever possibly typhoid lay James Bowie. Soaked in sweat and roused from a fretful sleep by the sounds of combat he struggled to sit up. Resting a pistol on his arched knee he watched as the wooden door slowly splintered and cracked.

Bowie's door finally gave way and a horde of screaming soldados rushed into the room. Bowie got off one pistol shot which toppled one of the assailants.

They quickly engulfed him in a wild frenzy of bayoneting and stabbing. Somehow the delirious Bowie managed to fire his second pistol-winging another soldado. But by the time a Mexican officer fired his pistol at Bowie's head splattering his brains across the wall-he was already dead.

SouthparkKenny
The Battle for the Flag

With the Mexican attack now on two fronts of the Convent the brave defenders were gradually beaten down one by one and annihilated by Torres and his remaining men. He had now fought his way to within grasping distance of the rebel banner.

On the lower level roof Torres was now supported by Lieutenant Damasco Martinez and his contingent of troops. Martinez wearing his distinctive red spotted bandana tied around his head urged his men forward to assist Torres now practically fighting by himself.

Only two defenders were now resisting the Mexican attackers the mortally wounded Squire Daymon and Jesse Bowman a giant of a man who was furiously tangling with two of the wall scalers-having no time to reload his guns Bowman picked up one of the Mexicans over his head to throw him off the roof to the plaza below whilst viciously kicking the other in his leg.

Torres calmly and coldly shot Bowman through the heart.

As Bowman fell to the ground Torres grabbed hold of the Alamo flag

But Daymon was not quite dead yet and with his final effort aimed his last loaded pistol and fired at the Mexican officer who was tearing down their flag.

Martinez saw Torres grab the flag and then fall

Quickly turning he shouted down to his color bearer

"Rapidamete mi amigo que necesito ahora neustros colores nacionales"

Martinez and his color bearer now placed their colors into position watched by the dying Torres who raised his sword in salute to his country's flag. For a brief moment no one now moved on the convent roof-but the flag that now flew in the early morning breeze was red, white and green-bearing the emblem of the angry eagle and serpent of Centralist Mexico.

Martinez having taken the rebel banner from the now dead Torres's hand passed it to his color bearer and told him to go and present it to His Excellency Santa Anna

OldArmy71
AG
mfbarnes, I had that same Disney playset!!! Your characters have a better paint job, though......
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.