Outdoors
Sponsored by

Venomous Snakes of Texas

11,700 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by 12f Mane
12f Mane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How about a couple photos of the venomous snakes of Texas? People always talk about the "4" venomous snakes we have in Texas, but we actually have 11 species, including 8 species of rattlesnake. This came up on another thread so I thought I could consolidate it here. I don't have photos of everything, but maybe Robk can chime in with the west Texas Rattlesnakes I'm missing. Here's what I do have photos of:

We have three copperhead subspecies in the state.

Southern Copperhead. Present in the eastern third of the state, east of a line from DFW to CS to Matagorda. In much of their range in the east central and eastern portions of the state copperheads are the most abundant snake.

Young have a bright yellow tail

Broad-banded copperhead. Present in the central portion (oak prairies) and central portion of the state. Beautiful snakes.

Copperheads will sometimes climb unto small shrubs to hunt lizards or another of their favorite prey- cicadads

Probably some of yall's nightmare

We also have a third subspecies, the Trans-Pecos copperhead, but I don't have any shots of one.

Cottonmouth. Present in the eastern half of the state and west to place like Tom Green County in the Concho River. Young are colorful (see last picture) and reminiscent of copperheads, their sister taxon.

They can be near patternless

Or strikingly patterned

But are usually somewhere in between

young

Western Diamondback. Ubiquitous. Present in the wester 2/3 of the state but avoid the post oak prairies and piney woods. Up the coast to Galveston but not past Galveston Bay. Yall know this one.

Timber Rattlesnake. Eastern half of the state but the further you get west the more they stick to riparian corridors. Protected by law.

Massasauga. We have two subspecies of these small rattlers. They have diminutive rattles and don't get more that 20 inches or so. Prairie species that is spotty in distribution.

Pygmy Rattlesnake. Mostly eastern Texas but old records from the oak forests down the coast. Tiny.

Texas Coral Snake. Southern half of the state from Val Verde to Texarkana and Brownsville to Beaumont. Mostly snake eaters that are finicky, unpredictable, and sometimes common. Not a real threat to humans unless you're a dumbass.

Not pictured (and hoping Rob will chime in) are the Rock Rattlesnake, Prairie Rattlesnake, Mojave Rattlesnake, and Blacktail Rattlesnake, mostly of west Texas, that I don't have good photos of.
AgHunter02
This is worthy of a thumbs up. Nice post!
PharmD4
AG
That second copperhead pic is awesome.
agsalaska
AG
My neighborhood in Grapevine is covered in Copperheads. We have killed five this year and my neighbor has killed 10 since last summer. It is kind of ridiculous. I wish I could kill them all.

Great post by the way. This one should stay on the first page for a while.
FIDO 96
AG
Agalaska...are you north or south Grapevine. I'm in Southlake and so far snake free (except the occasional garter snake)
agsalaska
AG
Im just behind Grapevine High school towards 121.
bpick
I grew up south of Weatherford and we had lots of what locals called prairie rattlers. Are they the same as the Massasauga you have pictured? Also, how large do rock rattlers get to be. I have seen one of these in a side canyon off the Rio Grande in Big Bend. Actually face to face when climbing over some boulders. This one was 12 to 16 inches in length.

Our place was on the prairie and the only copper head ever spotted bit me. Have not seen another one in the sixty years since.
12f Mane
AG
The Weatherford area is known for having a strong, or at least historically strong, population of Massasaugas.

That's about as big as Rock Rattlesnakes get.
The Fall Guy
AG
Aglaska. Lived next to Grapevine High School from 84-92 and never even saw any snakes. Roamed the creeks and forests.

They were probably all around me but only had fishing on my mind.

Funny how when you look for snakes you find them.
wheelz
AG
I think the timber rattler is the beautiful-est.
909Ag2006
ursusguy
tx4guns
AG
Isn't there a sub species of rattler that lives in the sand dunes along beaches? Always called them sand rattlers.
End Of Message
MexiaAg86
AG
Watch listed
raidernarizona
Awesome Pics!
4stringAg
AG
Love the photography.

This is not from Texas but the Timber Rattler reminded me of this pic of one we saw in Pennsylvania. Coal black head on this one...

tx1c
AG
I have a picture of a rock rattler from last year in Big Bend.
If I remember later, I'll get it hosted and share.
tx1c
AG

12f Mane
AG
No coastal specialties but diamondbacks can be abundant in the dunes.

Nice rock rattlers pics!
Bird Poo
AG
I grew up playing on the dunes at Surfside almost every weekend in the summer. Never say a single rattler.
12f Mane
AG
Bump for educational purposes
Watchful Ag
AG
Can you create a post with non-venomous snakes listed as well?
rather be fishing
AG
Can staff just sticky this to the top? That way people can cross referecne and if snake in question is not depicted they can just leave it be alone?
Allen76
AG
What does the Trans-Pecos Copperhead look like? I know there is no picture. Copperheads are the least abundant around my house because the riparian corridor is very small, and the rest of the land is more desert-like, with an intermittent creek that is dry most of the time.

But we have the Broad Banded one, and there is another one that I do not know if it is a different sub-species or not. It is generally smaller and more plain brown than the beautiful copper on the Broad Banded. Markings seem the same as the Broad Banded though.
12f Mane
AG
quote:
Can you create a post with non-venomous snakes listed as well?

I made a post with some of the more common ones and the venomous snakes that look like them. I can add to it soon as well.

http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2073728/replies

12f Mane
AG
quote:
What does the Trans-Pecos Copperhead look like? I know there is no picture. Copperheads are the least abundant around my house because the riparian corridor is very small, and the rest of the land is more desert-like, with an intermittent creek that is dry most of the time.

But we have the Broad Banded one, and there is another one that I do not know if it is a different sub-species or not. It is generally smaller and more plain brown than the beautiful copper on the Broad Banded. Markings seem the same as the Broad Banded though.

It really isn't markedly different the a broadband. Generally speaking you don't have 2 subspecies in any given area, although snakes maybe show phenotypic characteristics of both.

Where are you? That will answer the question pretty easily.
Allen76
AG
I am in Medina County. My house is 100 yards west of the Medina River and 100 yards east of Water Creek, so creatively named by the German settlers.

We have a mix of Central and South Texas Flora and Fauna. The Medina River corridor is what has the most diversity on our property.
12f Mane
AG
Water Creek

That puts you in the range of the broadband. Trans Pecos copperheads are generally considered to start west of the Devils River, I think.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.