Outdoors
Sponsored by

OB Ruling, should I be worried/go to the doctor??

4,052 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by PhiAggie
AgySkeet06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was triming trees in the front yard yesterday after work and as I picked up some limbs to throw over the fence something stung me on the top of my hand. Not sure if it was a bee or yellow jacket just saw something yellow fly off quickly after the sting.

Well my hand hurt the rest of the evening figured it was just the sting doing its thing. I woke up this morning and my hand is really swollen. I can even get my aggie ring on my finger. the hand is really hot and i can feel the blood pumping in my hand its so swollen.

Here are pics comparing the 2 hands
Stung hand

other hand

side views
stung hand

other hand

i put some cortisone cream on it this morning cause it kind of itched. Never had this happen and just curious if i should go to the doctor at lunch or let it run its course and hopefully go down in swelling soon.

ShotgunAg
It's what Doctors are for. Go.
Tree Hugger
AG
take a benadryl then amputate
CrossBowAg99
AG
You will be fine
ShotgunAg
Okay, I've given it more thought.

Take TWO Benadryl and repost in the morning.

Gun safety is no accident
always gig em
AG
If you saw something yellow fly off, I'm gonna go with yellow jacket. Same thing happened to me a month ago---preparing the backyard for a party and rolled over some chicken wire weeds had grown through and bam: yellow jacket to the right knuckle. Was swollen for about a week (think the stinger stayed in there and then disintegrated), and never been to the doc for a sting.

I will say that since I was little I have ALWAYS put a little mud on the sting if I've ever gotten one as soon as I get stung (Mexican grandmother remedies). Takes the edge off the sting big time.
maverick12
AG
I got stung in the hand by a red wasp and it did the same thing. The swelling was followed by intense itching. It eventually ran it's course. Funny, it was a much bigger reaction than getting stung elsewhere.
shiftyandquick
I am a beekeeper and have been stung many times. I'm not giving you medical advice, that's up to you. Some stings are worse than others. Mild swelling and warm skin are typical reactions that last past 24 hours, sometimes 48-72. My worst sting was on my bicep and my arm swelled to the point that I did not have full range of motion. I think the bee may have mainlined a vein that time.

Most people that die of stings do so because they experience an anaphylactic shock. Meaning their whole body goes into shock, and they can experience significant respiratory shock and of course even death. That's a medical emergency and why people that know they have this reaction may carry an epi-pen. Gives them time to get to the hospital and survive. So if I were experiencing shortness of breath or the feeling that my body was going into shock, it would be 911. Also any signs of local infection, like a bacterial infection. Pus and stuff.
NW80
AG
At least you've finally got your ring on the correct hand!!!!
You'll be alright. Take some Benadryl and Advil. It'll go down later. Probably a Yellow Jacket as Bees usually get stuck to you and can't fly away.
Centerpole90
AG
Is it numb?

Can you do "The Stranger"?
hellapark
AG
Quick!, cut an X on top of the bite and suck that poison out ASAP.

Seriously though, some benedryl and I would imagine you'll be fine.
mongey donk
AG
antiqued ring
FirefightAg
AG
I'd get some Diphenhydramine now!

you'll be fine, Im sure youll sleep well after 2 benadryl
DayAg!
S
Chewing tobacco applied at the initial sting will neutralize the venom enzymes and you wont feel a thing after a bit. Had one hit me on the neck one day,almost knocked me down. Took out the chaw (Redman Golden Blend) and applied it to the sting. Gone within 30min and never hurt. Moral of this story, always chew when outside in the summer.
Sean98
AG
GDamnit. CP90 beat me to it, the dirty perv.

[This message has been edited by Sean98 (edited 6/12/2014 11:30a).]
Bob_Ag
AG
quote:

Laugh cry
ComeAndTakeIt
Put some vagisil on it.
RMC91
AG

[This message has been edited by RMC91 (edited 7/1/2014 9:35a).]
Mr. Dubi
Go to the doctor! It looks pretty sick, the sooner you start treatment, the faster you'll recover.
MouthBQ98
AG
2 benadryll. Allergic reaction, but it is localized, not systemic.
CSTXAg92
AG
quote:
Put some vagisil on it.

OB delivers!
ShaggyAggie01
AG
quote:

AgySkeet06
AG
Thanks guys, I'm on my second dose of Benedryl today. I'm guessing typing a paper at work isnt helping. I was more concerned about it being hot as i've never had a sting feel so warm. I have a ziploc of ice i keep icing it with every 15 min or so. Updated Pick really shows the swelling.

Girlfriend was saying its a good thing it didnt sting my peen, no way she could take that much swelling....
AggieRob93
AG
She's just breaking the ice, and wasn't sure if you wanted to know she COULD take that much swelling.

Better find another yellow flying thing for your dingus.
GeronimoAg
AG
quote:
Put some vagisil on it.

Texags gold right there!

Don't worry Skeet, I had the same thing happen to me as a kid when a red wasp stung me in the same place. Should back to normal in no time.
shiftyandquick
A bee sting often feels like you have applied icy-hot. That's why some people do apitherapy--get stung on purpose to help with chronic pain.
Tagguy
AG
quote:
Put some vagisil on it.

Damn I was too slow today.

This is what I was going to suggest
AgEng06
ColoradoMooseHerd
Don't worry about your hand, you are being a *****.

quote:
Girlfriend was saying its a good thing it didnt sting my peen, no way she could take that much swelling....

You probably believed her when she said that, didn't you? That is what is funny.
AgySkeet06
AG
^
|
|
|
I'm 6'7" buddy, no short man syndrome going on here.
ursusguy
AG
If I get popped on the back of the hand, I'll get swelling half way up to my elbow, you're good to go.
NW80
AG
Just keep the ring on your left hand!
Mr. Dubi
Hot is bad
BCO07
AG
quote:
2 benadryll. Allergic reaction, but it is localized, not systemic.

this is correct. no need to go to the doc, there is nothing he could do. it's typically the inability to breath that warrants a trip to seek help in the case of bee/wasp stings. the thing with hypersensitivity reactions is that now all your cells that hold the histamine (which causes the reaction) are primed and ready to go for the next time you encounter the same antigen (read: toxin from whatever bug that was). there will be a faster and possibly worse reaction next time. how much worse would be a guess, but it could be a systemic reaction leading to an obstructed airway and/or anaphylactic shock.

not saying to hide under a rock or wear a bee suit around, just be careful. though the chances of a serious response are reasonably small, it's not something to play around with.
BCO07
AG
quote:
Hot is bad

in this case it's probably a normal part of the inflammatory response
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.