Outdoors
Sponsored by

Be careful with Freedom Munitions Reman...

18,300 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Pooh Ah
atmhockey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shot out of three separate rifles today. Have had good results with the ammo until today.

bedofbrass33
AG
Wow, how many total rounds were fired to get that sample size? All blown primers? Hope no one was injured or equipment damaged.

ETA: was this 5.56 or 223? 55 or 62 grain?

[This message has been edited by bedofbrass33 (edited 6/7/2014 10:09p).]
atmhockey
AG
About 50-60 rounds total from several boxes from the same order. No equipment or personal damage. Brought rifles home gave a good inspection and everything looks good on the bolt. Should I be looking for anything else for damage?

This was from 223 Rem 55 gr. FMJ REMAN
# on side of boxes was 5001600439

[This message has been edited by atmhockey (edited 6/7/2014 10:19p).]
DiskoTroop
That doesn't necessarily mean there was over pressure. If they used Magtec primers, they are notorious for not being seated well in previously reamed primer pockets. Even regular pressure causes them to pop sometimes.

Also, I know the machines they load on, it's not likely they loaded them incorrectly. My bet is Magtec primers.

[This message has been edited by phideaux_2003 (edited 6/7/2014 11:19p).]
Mr. Dubi
Contact Freedom
atmhockey
AG
quote:
Contact Freedom

Already sent an email with the pics and lot number and will call on Monday.
Fountain
Are you sure 5001600439 is the lot number and not the product code? If you look on the other end of the box inside the top flap, there is a stamped number...example 22Jb09 with a 32 below it. I'm asking for clarification because I bought 1000rds a few months ago and have not fired any of it. Please let me know what Freedom Munitions' response is. Thanks
bedofbrass33
AG
Please do let us know update atmhockey. I was going to pick some up from 556 from their store for a training class but am hesitant now. Thanks!
atmhockey
AG
Haven't seen the return shipping label yet, but customer service chick said she would send me a return label for the bad ammo and ship out replacement ammo. I mentioned that I would like NEW and not REMAN and she seemed fine with that request.

Radio silence speaking to her.
HDeathstar
Question?

I know nothing about reloading, but if the issue is the primers, wouldn't that be an issue for their NEW and REMAN ammo?

I am just assuming they use the same for both.
MouthBQ98
AG
They ream out the primer cavity to deal with any minor deformation, and this can make the seating of the new primer a little less reliable than the new manufacture if greater care is not taken.
farmer2010
AG
Had the first malfunction (stuck case) of my XDS9 last time I went to the range using Freedom Munitions reman. It looked like the round didn't chamber completely, likely because the case was bulged to begin with. I'll have to inspect my remaining reman a little more closely than before.
DiskoTroop
It's an unfortunate reality when dealing with reman ammo. That being said, the very vast majority of ammo coming out of reman shops today is really quite good. If we're cognisent of our shooting and paying attention to how the gun is running and looking at our ammo as we load our mags, it should prevent and mitigate 99% of possibilities.
Dunbar
AG
Apologies for the late bump. Was searching for reloading and this thread popped up. Has anyone had any issues with Freedoms reman in either 9mm or 223 not cycling? I have had some issues with 9mm in my glock albeit by mags were dirty. I have cleaned them since. I heard this from a gunsmith who said they had some 9mm handguns where the freedom stuff didn't have enough powder to cycle through the weapon.
agfan2013
AG
Have some 62 grain .223 that shoots just fine.
Mr. Dubi
I haven't had issues with either, in fact my picky M&P likes Freedom better than any other brand (had FTE's occasionally with PMC, Blazer, Winchester, Remington). But have witnessed a couple squibs in a buddy's 9, he says they were same lot number, I have none of that lot.
The Wonderer
AG
I have 500 rounds of 9mm reman awaiting firing and 200 rounds of .38 SPL. Planning on sending through my Sig P290RS and a Hi-Point 995 Carbine if I can get it on the range. I'll update after my next range day if I can remember to do so.
jobu93
AG
had a primer on a 5.5.6 reman from them with a backwards seated primer. I caught it and it was a non issue.

Things happen with reman.
FiTxAg04
AG
I just ran 100 rounds of .223 55 and 60 gr vmax reman on Wednesday without issue. This was a recent order.
EconAg05
AG
I've got some 300blk from them that has a few bad rounds here or there. The problem rounds will not chamber fully due to sizing issues and will not allow the bolt to go into full battery. If you line the round up with an in-spec 300 round you can see that the shoulder is just a bit higher and the case isn't trimmed properly.

Other than that all of the other ammo I've shot from them has been ok.
CharlieBrown17
AG
How did the vmax shoot?
FiTxAg04
AG
My performance might not be the best metric by which to judge the performance of these rounds, but I shot 1.2 moa with the 55 gr at 100 yds. The 60 gr were closer to 1.5 moa. These were the first rounds through a brand new rifle and my bench shooting technique needs some work.
texas.aggie.2010
Any updates on quality of freedom remanufactured .45 or 223? I thought freedom was decent and had good qc.

I just bought about a bunch but am now reading all the negative stories of freedom and am thinking of canceling before they ship.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I've shot about 200 rounds of the 60Gr VMAX. My AR groups it well and doesn't have issues running it.
Mr. Dubi
I don't have a .45. I shoot about a couple thousand 9mm per year of FM, as does Dubi. Neither of us have experienced an issue with mostly reman. I haven't used much of their .223/5.56 since then because I have found other stuff that meets my needs better, but no problems with what I've used of that ammo either.
fire09
AG
I've shot about 600 rds of 300 blk, 500 rds of 9mm and about 1000 rounds of 556 reman freedom munition ammo over the past year from a bulk purchase I made in 2014 and not had a single misfire due to the cartridge.
Post removed:
by user
lexofer
AG
quote:
Any updates on quality of freedom remanufactured .45 or 223? I thought freedom was decent and had good qc.

I just bought about a bunch but am now reading all the negative stories of freedom and am thinking of canceling before they ship.

Freedom is good to go now. During the last rush they outsourced a fair bit of manufacturing as they could not keep up with it in house. That's where most of these stories come from poor QC as Freedom wasn't actually producing it. I had a case of ammo that was not so great from them 2 years ago.

Since then they've added more production, started making their own brass, and seem to be making most everything themselves again. I shot 200 rounds of reman 223 just today no issues. Also little known fact, much of their reman 45 is actually in new bras. They are now able to make new 45 cases for less than they can usually find them secondhand much of the time.
Pooh Ah
AG
...and this is why I load my own ammo.

Quality issues in ammo are not acceptable.

Blown primers, backwards primers, squibs....

I hope they don't load a rifle round with pistol powder or throw a double charge...
76Ag
AG
Some years ago I took my tax refund and purchased a Remington 700 BDL in .223 Remington. Not fully understanding that there was a difference I picked up some Winchester white box 5.56 ammo. I went to the range with my new rifle and just a few shots in, first one and then two primers perforated. It wouldn't shoot after that. I had to take the bolt apart and clean it thoroughly because something must have blown back into it. I have never put 5.56 ammo in it since then.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I completely understand the desire to control the process.

You do realize that those problems happen in all factory ammo from time to time and the problems you are worried about usually are more prevalent in home reloads than any other segment.
Pooh Ah
AG
Not my hand loads.

There are simple quality checks they can perform to prevent all of these issues.

Bregxit
AG
quote:
Not my hand loads.

There are simple quality checks they can perform to prevent all of these issues.

You can never get failures to zero whether that is new factory ammo or hand loads. There are too many variables. Now you may never experience a failure with your handloads but that is a matter of volume over time. Load enough and eventually you will get a bad primer, a primer pocket being off by a 10000th, a case with an non-visible weakness.

The attitude "not in my hand loads" is arrogant and dangerous.
texas.aggie.2010
ThanKS for your responses. I'll let you know how it looks when it arrives
OE_Ag11
AG
I had a new one a couple weeks ago. The case on a round of 5.7x28 had a primer but the hole from the primer into the powder area was not drilled. So when the round was fired the primer went off but the explosion couldn't go anywhere since there was no path to the main powder chamber and blew the bolt back. Luckily this was in my ar57 not my pistol so no harm done.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.