Outdoors
Sponsored by

A&M Law School prof says ditch the 2nd Amendment

14,323 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by SECeded
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/ctnj.php/archives/entry/law_professor_calls_for_repealing_2nd_amendment_leaving_gun_rights_up_to_st/

A law professor from Texas called for repealing and replacing the Second Amendment during a symposium Friday on constitutional gun rights at the University of Connecticut’s School of Law.

Texas A&M University Law Professor Mary Margaret Penrose spoke as part of a panel discussion on tragedy and gun control. Penrose cited several high-profile shootings, including the Newtown murders and a 2011 shooting in Arizona that left six people dead and U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords critically wounded. She said she was shocked that the country has not yet reached a threshold for gun violence.
More at the link...
SECeded
rhtexfish
AG
Apparently in all her learnings, common sense wasn't one of them...
aggiesq
AG
quote:
Penrose said she advocates redrafting the entire U.S. Constitution when she teaches constitutional law courses. She said American life has changed drastically since the 18th Century when the constitution was adopted.

Ok. Let's divorce the Union, go our separate ways, and go from there. Call a Constitutional Convention and let's get the ball rolling

Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Then she's not teaching constitutional law, and should be fired.

Nothing is more useless in a law school, than a prof who wants to pontificate, rather than teach the $*%( trade.
CanyonAg77
AG
So she sounds like a typical anti-gun nut. But then she says
quote:
Rather than applying the amendment to all states, Penrose recommended striking the provision to enable individual states greater discretion in determining their own gun policies.

“The beauty of a ‘states’ rights model’ solution, is it allows those of you who want to live in a state with strong restrictions to do so and those who want to live in a state with very loose restrictions to do so,” she said.
I kind of like that idea. The northeast can ban everything, we allow everything up to crew served automatic weapons. Win-win!

Seriously, it's weird to see an apparent liberal trot out "states rights".
AggieDruggist89
AG
Bring back public stoning.
Texas 1836
AG
Kramer
AG
Let's do it.

Throw out the 2nd. Replace it with a balanced budget amendment. Add a states' rights amendment that says if any state or states don't like the way things are going, they can call a formal hearing to leave the union.

We can also get term limits for ALL elected leaders.

[This message has been edited by Kramer (edited 11/15/2013 10:02p).]
chosin
AG
quote:

Without question. Immediately.
WildAg08
AG
Let's buy a law school, they said. It'll be fun, they said.
RossG_2
AG
Nice, Wildag. I laughed.
Bregxit
AG
As I said in another thread on this...

Repeal the 2nd and the feds really put the kabosh on firearms. There would be no limitation and they would trump all states via the supremacy clause. This is a flaming liberal trying to bait conservatives with the "give it to the states" stance.
Signel
AG
Laughable.... that would go over like a turd in a punchbowl.
The Anchor
AG
quote:
Dr.Pete
Get a rope
tx4guns
AG
She's entitled to her opinion, but if she is not teaching what she's being paid to teach, she should be fired. Best way to deal with these Libs is to either laugh at them or ignore them. I have a theory that most of them didn't get enough attention as children, so they try to make up for it in adulthood by being obnoxious twits.
MarineVet
I swore an oath to defend the Constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic. This female is supposed to be teaching "Constitutional Law" Not her opinion. To me this places her in the light as an enemy of the Constitution and all the freedoms it stands for. As a Veteran her behavior is repugnant. She should immediately be terminated and banned from teaching Constitutional Law ever again in the United States educational system. The one right the Constitution does not provide is the right to disparage others from exercising their rights under the Constitution. NO ONE HAS THAT RIGHT!! Don't not believe me? Read the Constitution!!

People receive their freedoms from the Tenacity and Blood of Patriots, Not the grace of the politician.
RoseRichAg01
This y'all's first brush with academia (if TX Weslyan Law can be called that)?
secretswan
Professor Penrose should be FIRED IMMEDIATELY
WildAg08
AG
I'd really like to meet a top tier law professor who teaches "black letter law"

These profs draw value because of their unique perspectives. I foresee more of this.

Just check how well Lino Graglia fits in down in Austin. He has them throwing fits on the reg.
Buck Turgidson
Hopefully they'll find an excuse to fire the POS.
OlArmy
AG
When will she be a former professor? That's an embarrassment to TAMU.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Most "top tier law professors" are too mentally incompetent to manage a mop and bucket. (Intelligent lawyers usually go to work, and make far more money - often, they retire, and teach later - where they are invaluable - but not well-thought of by academic idiots.)

Law School is a trade school - Actual Constitutional law is a vast, and complex subject - there's a very large volume of material to cover, w.o. wasting time on nonsense.

[This message has been edited by Bradley.Kohr.II (edited 11/16/2013 7:30p).]
tmaggies
AG
Flood her phone lines with negative commits!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
More than half of professors at A&M and every other university in the country probably agree with her. Why is this even news?
WildAg08
AG
Bradley, we're going to have to agree to disagree. Most top tier law profs are considerably more capable than 80-90% of all current law school students/grads. (Our law school is far from top tier)

However, I will concede that your top performing law school students end up being considerably more successful than their professors.

Law school is a trade school and unfortunately the amount of idiots running around with law degrees is down right scary.
76Ag
AG
We started losing our country when we gave women the vote.
Rledbetter
Professor Primrose has no place at TAMU. She is teaching opinions instead of facts. She clearly does not have the vision that our founding fathers had and does not understand the spirit of the Bill of Rights. I call for her termination.
RoseRichAg01
Yes, law profs should just teach facts.
MROD92
Should be fired
schmellba99
AG
Welcome to the bubble of academia folks. Libs run the show, and generally weild their power like the run their little fiefdoms with an iron fist.

Nobody ever made it a requirement to actually be smart to be a prof. Kind of an oversight in my opinion.
Lungblood
quote:
Let's buy a law school, they said. It'll be fun, they said.

lmao
FBG_Ag78
AG
Progressives don't realize that the 2nd Amendment is the only thing outside of integrity that prevents lawless autocratic tyrants from riding roughshod over the other Amendments..... or then again maybe they do.

quote:
"This being a legal symposium, I’m quite certain the constitution will be thrown around quite a bit,” he said. “We support in our state the constitutional right to have arms. But no right is without its limitations.”
Limitations? The right to keep and bear arms doesn't give a citizen the right to kill kids or Congressmen. That's not a limit of a right. These pukes are changing the argument based on emotion. The Second Amendment does not give us the right to use firearms illegally.

/rant
preachin' to the choir
RoseRichAg01
Correct, the second amendment addresses the right to keep and bear arms. In other words, the right to own/possess and carry arms. Shooting people is tied to the use of a gun not the ownership or possession of the arm.

That's a pretty weak argument on their part. Possibly up there with the retort from brainwashed liberal students questioning whether or not the 2nd Amendment gives someone the right to own a missile. Obviously not, as a missile is not an arm.

With that said, yall're over reacting to what a prof at a this law school said. For one thing, calling for an amendment to the Constitution, as I understand the article, isn't exactly unconstitutional. Given all of the liberals that claim we should just ignore the Constitution, her argument to follow the process for change set out in it are kind of refreshing.

[This message has been edited by RoseRichAg01 (edited 11/18/2013 9:43a).]
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.