Outdoors
Sponsored by

Myron Mixons Brisket Recipe

87,615 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by TXAGFAN
YogiBeers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tried a "new" method of making a brisket, Myron Mixon's method of power cooking,350 degrees at 2.5 hrs unwrapped, 1.5 wrapped in foil and 4 hrs in the ice chest. He injects the brisket with a beef broth/boullion, the rub is not my cup of tea so I used salt,pepper, and garlic salt. It turned out pretty dang good. I'm sure I'll be chastised but it came out super damn moist and it tasted darn good. I would put it up against any of my other briskest that I have cooked low and slow. The drippings make a damn good BBQ sauce. Linked to a copy of the recipe. The book has some really good recipes and I would highly recommend the book.

ziplist.com/recipes/563046-Myron_Mixon_Brisket
agrams
AG
I won't judge, but looks interesting. Will have to give it a go sometime.
CrossBowAg99
AG
I'd try injecting it for a competition, but not for regular personal consumption.
rather be fishing
AG
I had some injected brisket one time. It was injected with some crap that contained teriyaki. It was awful.
chilidogfood
AG
I can't access that link at behind this proxy. Can someone copy and post the contents?
CrossBowAg99
AG
The link above doesn't work.

http://www.ziplist.com/recipes/563046-Myron_Mixon_Brisket

Ingredients ( Edit )
For the beef injection and marinade:
1 quart water
3 tablespoons beef base (preferably Minor's brand) or beef bouillon powder
3 tablespoons au jus concentrate (preferably Minor's brand) or one 15-ounce can strong beef broth
For the beef rub:
½ cup kosher salt
2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon chipotle pepper powder
½ teaspoon chile powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon granulated dried onion
For the meat:
One 15-20 pound whole untrimmed brisket, preferably Wagyu
Tools:
2 aluminum pans
Injector
Blanket

Instructions ( Edit )
For the beef injection and marinade:
In a large stockpot over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the beef base and the beef au jus to the water, and stir until dissolved. Remove from the heat. If reserving for a later use, let the liquid cool then pour it into a jug or bottle. This can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
For the beef rub:
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients thoroughly. You can store this rub in an airtight container indefinitely.
For the meat:
Trim your brisket. Place the brisket, fat side up, in an aluminum baking pan. Inject it by eyeballing 1-inch squares all over the brisket and injecting half of the beef injection in those squares. Flip the brisket over, fat side down, and pour the remaining injection/marinade over the meat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight. 30 minutes before you are ready to cook the brisket, heat a smoker to 350 degrees, keeping it an average of 300 degrees. (You can also use a gas grill, but you’ll need to prepare it for smoking.)
Remove the brisket from the marinade and discard the marinade. Using your hands, apply the beef rub all over the meat. Place the brisket in a clean aluminum baking pan, place the pan in the smoker, and cook for 2 ½ hours. Remove the pan from the smoker and cover it with aluminum foil. Put it back into the smoker and cook for another 1 ½ hours or until the temperature in the point end of the meat reaches 205 degrees. Remove the pan from the smoker and wrap the pan, still covered with aluminum foil, in a thick blanket. Let it rest at room temperature for 3-4 hours. Unwrap the pan, discard the foil, and remove the brisket, taking care to save the the accumulated juices. Set the brisket aside. Strain the juices of all grease, and pour the juices into a medium saucepan. Warm the juices over medium heat, and allow them to come to a simmer.
Meanwhile, slice the brisket against the grain; try to make the slices as consistently sized as possible. Place the slices on a warm platter and pour the juices over them. Serve immediately.

YogiBeers
AG
No teriyaki injection here. I liked the fact that this didn't add any new flavors, it just brought out what was already there. Left the brisket moist and there was enough smoke time to give it a nice smoke ring and a taste bark. Just thought I would share. It's definitely a lazy man's way of making a brisket, without drying out the meat.
YogiBeers
AG
Dp

[This message has been edited by yogibeers (edited 8/12/2013 8:37a).]
ORAggieFan
I'm always amazed how hot and fast he cooks everything but he's had amazing results.
crag
AG
Would it still work if you did not inject it? Just thinking about the moisture.

Because this would work a lot better for me using my 55 gallon drum smoker I built (upright).

I can maintain a 3-4 hour cook at 300-350 before changing the coals, so this would work well.
tx4guns
AG
I injected my last brisket, and it does make a difference. Cooks faster and had more flavor.
RCR06
AG
I've been really wanting to try the hot and fast method. Why cook something for 8 hours plus if four is all you need?
Texas 1836
AG
I wouldn't try it.

Since it is his recipe, I'd be afraid it would taste like butthole.

I can't stand that guy.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.
YogiBeers
AG
He is kind of *****, but he has a crap load of trophies to back up his arrogance. His banana pudding recipe is awesome as well. I really liked his recipe, but I pulled the brisket at 200 instead of 205 and I didn't use his rub. It was better than anything else's I have ever made. Its all about his methods. Going to try his other recipes very soon.
Signel
AG
You shouldn't have to inject meat to make it moist. Sounds like a crutch to me. As Franklin puts it, the meat should speak for itself if you cook it right.
JWayne
AG
Does the brisket get a bark on it using this method? I would think it would be soggier if the juices collect in a pan while smoking it.
ORAggieFan
quote:
You shouldn't have to inject meat to make it moist. Sounds like a crutch to me
Competition BBQ is different than back yard or even restaurant. People that compete inject because it works to bring home the awards. If they own a restaurant they may not inject there. I know Franklin has mentioned he'd do things differently competing than serving at his restaurant.
YogiBeers
AG
It's a crutch, a mighty fine tasting one at that. I'm new to smoking briskets. My dad always worked so when we had brisket, my mom would make it in the oven, and it tastes not so great and it was usually dry. Now that I have time I am learning. Is it a crutch? Sure, but I would much rather learn to make something good that my family will enjoy than something that they won't. It's not the traditional method by any means, But it taste pretty good.

It still makes a nice bark and it doesn't come out soggy either. Cuts and tastes like a regular brisket.
Hamburger Dan
I've been using his method for almost two years, with these exceptions.
I Use my rub
I don't put it in a pan ( I don't like the lack of bark)
I smoke it unwrapped quite a bit longer
I only inject beef broth

I run a small barbecue catering group and I don't have the time to smoke 10-12 briskets for 16 hours.
crag
AG
quote:
I've been using his method for almost two years, with these exceptions.
I Use my rub
I don't put it in a pan ( I don't like the lack of bark)
I smoke it unwrapped quite a bit longer
I only inject beef broth

so in other words, you don't really use his method.
DTrain
AG
Thanks Hamburger Dan. Seems simpler.
YogiBeers
AG
I didn't do the pan until I wrapped the brisket, i guess i should have said that in my OP. Next time I do this I'm going to find a way to elevate the brisket, the bottom of the brisket did not have much bark, I stand corrected on my earlier comment about the bark. I place the brisket in an ice chest an place a blanket on top.

Dan- how do you do multiple briskets during the 4 hr resting period? Do you wrap them in a blankets or do you put multiple briskets in a cooler? I've thought about multiple briskets in the cool but I worried that it might be to much heat and dry out the briskets. I'm thinking about do this for a buddy who's asking for 10 briskets.
DayAg!
S
That rub aint far off from mine.

Here's what I use for a bulk rub.

6 Tbs. Salt
8 Tbs. Medium black pepper
2 Tbs. Paprika
3 Tbs. Garlic powder
3 Tbs. Cayenne powder
10 Tbs. Fine brown sugar
3 Tbs. Chipotle powder

Sugar is optional if you dont want it Caramelized to much.

5 hrs. on the heat I use every time. Dont know how high it is. I just do it the same way every time. 3 hrs. in foil. That seems to tender it up just right. Let sit for at least 30-40 minutes with the foil open to cool. Sorry I didnt get any sliced pics.Forgot all about it with the company around.

tx4guns
AG
Try adding some onion powder to that rub.
DayAg!
S
Probably could add a bunch of stuff just never included onion before but seems it would be good.
Good suggestion.
Hamburger Dan
I have 6 of the large coolers that you can buy at SAMs. Four of them we use just for briskest or ribs ( because no matter how well we wrap them - they always leak a little and the bottom of the coolers are stained some) I use an old blanket to put on the bottom, then the briskest, then cover with another blanket. I would say we wouldn't put more than 6-8 briskest in a cooler at one time. Not so much about the heat, but because the coolers get damn heavy. I have tried to use more foil pans when cooking or when wrapped, but the pans don't stack well, I don't think cooking the brisket in the pan makes a good crust, and they cost a lot. I have been cooking for almost four years and we have finally gotten to the point where we can make some money. Foil pans, along with everything else you "sometimes" use will use cut into your profit faster than you can imagine. I'm a high school coach -
and I cook on the side ( approximately 25-30 jobs a year. I have one other guy that helps me. I don't know all of the answers but we have a pretty good reputation, we can efficiently feed quite a bit of people, we are fair, and by word of mouth my business has grown into something I can do full time when I retire in a few years.
Mathguy64
AG
I happened to be watching a show with Johnny Trigg last night and he made a comment that he had never injected any piece of meat his entire life.
Martin Cash
AG
Never understood the 250 cooking temp. I smoke my briskets at 400, as do many very good BBQ places.
TXAGFAN
AG
Call me crazy...I enjoy these BBQ shows, but a lot of the competition BBQ looks a little nasty to me. Greens? Perfectly formed chicken? Weird.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.