Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gun Safe... How bad have I screwed up?

13,476 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by trip
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ordered a Browning Safe from a store in Corpus right after the New Year. I live in Beeville so I inquired about having the safe delivered to my home direct from Browning rather than picking it up at the store. Well I just got a call from the freight company today. Yes, freight company... I thought it was going to be a safe moving/installation company. Nope, one 18-wheeler, one pallet jack, and one driver.

How do I get 700lbs of "well at least no one can steal it" out of my driveway and into my home?
PMD03
AG
Golf balls and 2 more people
Finn Maccumhail
AG
You live in Beeville, I'm sure there are plenty of guys standing around looking for work. If you catch my drift.
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of guys standing around looking for work. If you catch my drift.
I have a shoot them the moment they enter my property policy. The cops understand this, and at least one has vowed to park his unit down the street and remain there until the shooting slows. They will not be allowed inside my house, nor will they be invited.

I've heard of using golf balls before... Just have to muscle it up and over the threshold?

[This message has been edited by Kenneth_2003 (edited 3/12/2013 3:13p).]
AgEng06
AG
If the safe has exterior hinges (and I think the Brownings do), take the door off and move it in two pieces. With help from one or two people you should be able to easily move it if it only weighs ~700 lbs total.
AgySkeet06
AG
My BIL bought a safe from gander a couple of christmas' ago when we were visiting him. We got a new sched 40 pvc pipe and cut it in 5 4ft poles and rolled it into the house from the garage. Took us about an hour from the time we got it off the trailer to into its resting place. He said if he ever moves the safe stays with the house and he will just buy another and have it delivered.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
just use a dolly and another dude. i did it.
Texas 1836
AG
Go rent an appliance dolly with straps.

BUT, only if you are used to handling heavy things with a dolly. It can get out of balance pretty quick.
milkman00
AG
Hopefully the driver will put it in the garage until you can figure out the rest. Didn't I read on here that people put plywood on the floor first with the golf ball technique? 2 in pipe rollers might work too.

[This message has been edited by milkman00 (edited 3/12/2013 3:44p).]
schmellba99
AG
When I bought mine, I had a safe mover deliver and install it for me.

They simply put it on something similar to this:

And used some thick aluminum plate to get it over the thresholds.

I did the same when I moved from AZ to TX in getting it out of the house and into the moving trailer I pulled behind me. Both times it took 3 guys and about 15 minutes.

When I moved it into my house in TX, me and a buddy did it with a solid dolly like this:

I strapped the safe to the dolly with some ratchet straps, we moved carefully (and only had 1 threshold to go over) and it took about 20 minutes to get in place.

When my buddy bought his safe, he was in the same position you are - freight company tailgate dropped it at the end of his driveway. His safe went in his garage, so we implemented the PVC pipe trick above - took about 10 minutes and we had it positioned to start drilling the anchor holes.

My safe weighs in around 800 lbs empty, and his was probably 750. Both were really not all that hard to move.
EMY92
AG
Make sure the freight company sends it on a truck with a lift gate.

It's a lot easier trying to figure out what to do with it on the ground and not trying to think of how to get it off of the trailer.
tbone421998
AG
My son's was over 1000# and once three of us tipped it over a bit, we put 4' pieces of closet rod under it and it right over to the wall.
DriftwoodAg
AG
I would suggest looking for one of these. My BIL has one and it really helps to stop the load from squashing you
shalackin
AG
mexicans!
Caladan
Get a four-wheeled platform dolly like the one pictured above, along with a cargo strap. Once you get the safe on the ground, strap the dolly to the back. You and the delivery guy tip the safe over onto the dolly. Once the safe is horizontal, it is easy to move it around. When you get to a threshhold or similar, just push the leading wheels up to the obstacle, then push down on the face of the safe, at the bottom end. This will lever up the leading wheels, allowing you to push them over the obstacle. Once past the obstacle, let up on the bottom of the safe. Push it further until the trailing wheels are up against the obstacle, and then push down on the face of the safe, at the forward end. This will allow the rear-most wheels to clear the obstacle.

Once you are near where the safe needs to be, just tilt it back up. This isn't as hard as you think it might be, and if you can't do it by yourself, then certainly you and a 2nd person won't have any problems doing it. Then you can wobble-walk the safe into final position.

Make sure you check doorway clearances first. You might have to move it on it's side instead of it's back, depending on clearances........
BrazosDog02
AG
Whatever you do, get extra help. Anyone. Neighbor, neighbor's kid...if they can't help, at least they can call 911. Seriously. I helped a neighbor move his into his house and we had 3 people. You would think its too many, but its nice. Two handled the safe, the third moved the pipe from the rear back to the front continuously as we rolled along.
MASAXET
AG
quote:
I have a shoot them the moment they enter my property policy. The cops understand this, and at least one has vowed to park his unit down the street and remain there until the shooting slows. They will not be allowed inside my house, nor will they be invited.

Just curious, but is your policy limited to just "them" and not any others that enter your property?
Todd 02
AG
My grandparents moved a two story house seven miles on uneven ground using logs and mules. My wife and I moved a gun safe from the driveway into the house using a similar technique, only the logs were plunger handles and the mules were us.
Terk
AG
1/2" PVC works like a champ
Appliance dolly for the win as well.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Thanks for the tips. I was just having a bit of a freak out moment when I found out my delivery want what I thought it was.

Ass for the shoot em comment... I can't see myself ever hiring day laborers to work inside my home. Keep an honest man honest is my line if thinking. For someone inside my home I prefer to stick with bonded and insured contractors. So the sir Em was to be the assumption that they had broken in and were not invited.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Kenneth, I know a company in San Antonio that will come down and put the safe where you want it...probably aint cheap, but neither is a broken foot or a ruined back. Let me know and I will post their phone number for you...they delivered my Ft Knox and set it up where I wanted it.

On another note, I bought another from Tractor Supply for less "valuable" items and rolled it where I wanted with dowel rods...but it was on concrete and I was able to get it off my truck with a strap and front end loader !
gwellis
AG
BCA,

WW Specialties? They are Awesome. You shoul dhear some of the stuff they move. install for Banks, etc... WOW!

Gil '91
gwellis
AG
BCA,

WW Specialties? They are Awesome. You shoul dhear some of the stuff they move. install for Banks, etc... WOW!

Gil '91
Brush Country Ag
AG
Yes...good folks!
SO*TX*AG09
Are you from Beeville? I'll be down there this weekend
Old Sarge
AG
If a rectangular furniture moving dolly is used, best be darn sure the dolly is rated for a few hundred pounds more than the safe. 700lbs falling in ANY direction is going to cause a lot of damage, hurt, or worse.
Kenneth_2003
AG
So TX ag... Lived here for 4.5 years now
fireinthehole
You're just bragging about your safe. Congrats.
COSCAG00
AG
Kenneth - go over to Truxsaw Rentals and rent a pair if piano dollies. They strap to the sides and have wheels and handles that flip out. Makes moving very easy.
milkman00
AG
I guess we should have first asked you if you are a 125 kind of guy or a 250+ guy. I don't really think you will have a problem using many of the options above. Get some friends and just remember to protect your flooring too.
FullDraw
AG
Golf balls, heavy dolly and beer for buddies.
BrazosDog02
AG
He sure as hell isn't a 250+ kind of guy unless he grew up and out since 2003.
agent-maroon
AG
Anybody else think that inviting illegal aliens into your home to move a gun safe is a really bad idea? Saves a potential thief from the trouble of scouting your location on the sly...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BrazosDog02
AG
Inviting ANYONE in your home that you just found on the street is a horrible horrible idea. Illegal aliens is even worse.

They can easily scope it out. They know where you live and have a good idea of your income level. Plus, if they get 'hurt' moving it, Im sure there is some way they can get legal on you. Screw that. Leave them at the home depot. There are plenty of contractors that need help.
Buck Turgidson
A pallet jack works really well for that application. I'll bet you can rent one.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.