Outdoors
Sponsored by

Ideas for my barndominium wall

35,639 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by FBG_Ag78
smackmac32
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Earlier this week my wife and I purchased a barndominium. The first thing I want to do is put our own touch on a few things. The first being the entry wall from the shop to the living quarters. As you can see from the picture below they just used plywood. I work out of town and will get my wife to get a full picture soon. But the entire length of the wall is 50'. Im estimating that the door is 35' from the left wall and 15' from the right wall.

My first idea was to trim out a 3' high corrugated steel panel wainscot and then use some type of horizontally staggered wood for the top wall.

Any ideas or pictures would be helpful. I can't seem to find something that I really like through google.

This is the picture of my barndominium wall minus the stuff. That was the previous buyers.

This is the wainscoting idea i had in mind, minus the overhangs.
LGAggie
AG
That looks like a very large barn.

The only advice I have is to paint a mural maybe?
Bennettag06
AG
I like the second pic. Maybe add family brand / block ATM / something on center peak.

Thanks and Gig'em
C/O '06

[This message has been edited by Bennettag06 (edited 10/28/2012 9:34a).]
Beckdiesel03
AG
What about feaux rock siding with some kind of wood looking siding on top to make it look more like an upscale home exterior?
smackmac32
AG
Here is the progress to date. We decided with pine wood top with a rustic tin wainscot. We will be adding the handrails to the stairs and the top storage.

Also underneath the stairs we will build two large cabinets to hold our washer/dryer. I will keep updating in the future.

mustang6tee8
AG
I like it.
USDA AG
Very nice, keep us updated on the progress.
ashleyschaeffer
I've never heard of this, looks pretty cool.

Are these typically much cheaper than a similarly sized traditional home?
Bobby Ewing
AG
I dwell in a barndominium also. I need to construct some stairs like that to access my upper level storage. Those are nicer than the ones I threw together with some leftover beams.
rjp
How tall is your barn at the center? We're trying to determine if we could build a smaller footprint and add a loft area for the kids bedroom.

Since it would be for the kids I'm not worried about having 8' ceilings, but I'd like it to be usable.
DeWrecking Crew
That looks about the same size of mine, I've got a 50x60 with 16 ft eaves on a 2:12 slope..what did it cost you for that spray insulation? And how do you like it? For some reason I thought you would have to spray it on much thicker to be effective...
duddleysdraw88
AG
Interested in your center height as well.
Still in design phase of a 40X60. I'm looking at 16' for clearance of equipment!

Also looking for garage door type openings instead of roll up doors or sliders! anybody have experience with heavy duty garage door openers?

smackmac32
AG
The barn is an area of 50x75, but 75x75 with the front overhang. I just recently bought a property with the barndominium on it. It is a 1 bed, 1 bath with a living room and kitchen. the living space is roughly 25x50. I would have to guess that the center is around 16-17' I havent actually measured it but I know the shop doors are 13' tall. When walking up top, I have to hunch down until around the 3rd cross beam before I can walk up-right.

Below are some pictures of the outside to show the design and size.

Todd 02
AG
This is awesome. It would take government intervention for my wife to live in a build-out in a barn. Congratulations!
drummer0415
AG
jealous of your property and barn. good job man.
Buck Turgidson
I went hunting last fall at a ranch where the lodging was a barndominium. I drove right by it looking for a traditional hunting cabin!

The inside was surprisingly nice, with stained concrete floors, 3 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, a big kitchen/living room, and deer heads everywhere.
rjp
Thank you much for the info and extra pictures. That helps a lot!
smackmac32
AG
I'm glad yall enjoyed the pics. I am currently working on the road pipelining, so we wanted a place to call home when we came back to Caldwell, instead of our parents. This is perfect for the time being until we decide to build a house out there.
drummer0415
AG
quote:
I am currently working on the road pipelining

So that's how you afford an escalade, an f-250, the barndominium, however many acres it sits on, and that pretty lady in the picture, all at just 2 years out of college?

seriously though, good job man.
munch74
AG
Question for those of y'all that live in or have built one of these...when you "register" it with the county for property taxes, do you just tell them that it is a metal building? Do they do any kind of follow up?

LGAggie
AG
A buddy worked for a cad and they can usually trek from the aerial sous if is finished inside. Vent pipes I guess?
LGAggie
AG
They will also drive out to a place and check it out if they are unsure. My buddy had some interesting stories about being met by property owners with guns. He only worked there about a year too.
FBG_Ag78
AG
Smack,
Congratulations on your acquisition!

The Mrs. and I just finished our barndominium. And Todd, I didn't ever think I could sell her on living in a barn but it happened. She is an Interior Designer from the other school. A word of warning for those of you that want to try this - we let it get way out of hand! I doesn't really qualify as a barn anymore.

In answer to your question about covering the wall, I'd recommend you use vertical wood entirely. You want to give it some height. Splitting it with wainscot and horizontal planks would accentuate the width instead.

Munch – it was registered for the septic system permit. Once that was in the works the cad made several trips out here.

Rule#1:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.