Outdoors
Sponsored by

Using gas or diesel to kill weeds?

91,533 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by Tex Aggie
MackeyPatch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've read about people doing this, and I have been thinking of doing the same. However, I have a few questions. How long will the weeds be flammable for? Are there any concerns pressurizing gas or diesel? Any other concerns or advice? Thanks.
mustang6tee8
AG
Diesel is better for this. It doesn't give off as many vapors as gasoline, but it still can be flammable.
DVM97
AG
Why are we not using roundup?? At over $3 a gallon, that's expensive weed killer.

DVM
MackeyPatch
quote:
Why are we not using roundup?? At over $3 a gallon, that's expensive weed killer.

I have used four applications of Round Up, and it sucks.
Max06
AG
Most people use diesel in combination with a true herbicide.

I wouldn't play with gasoline, but that's just me. Knowing my luck I'd be out spraying the fence line as some jackass flicked a cigarette out the window.

quote:
quote:

I have used four applications of Round Up, and it sucks.

What are you trying to kill?

[This message has been edited by Max06 (edited 7/26/2012 11:25a).]
MackeyPatch
quote:
Diesel is better for this. It doesn't give off as many vapors as gasoline, but it still can be flammable.

Thanks. How long before the diesel will wear off?
MackeyPatch
quote:
I wouldn't play with gasoline, but that's just me. Knowing my luck I'd be out spraying the fence line as some jackass flicked a cigarette out the window.

This is what I am worried about. I don't want to burn up my land. Is this risk much more minimal with diesel?
SWCBonfire
AG
Try the Tordon RTU herbicide, you can get it without a pesticide license and it will kill woody and hard to kill weeds.
Max06
AG
Yes, diesel is MUCH less flammable than gasoline.
cledus6150
AG
I would put that used motor oil to work, and apply it.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
What are you trying to kill?
MackeyPatch
I don't know what most of the weeds even are. The worst is the rapid growing, tree like weeds:

SWCBonfire
AG
Look like careless weeds. 2,4-D will kill them if they are growing. Wait until they put on new growth and spray them.
Max06
AG
1. determine what you are trying to kill
2. find out what kills that plant/weed. There is not a one-herbicide-kills-all.

If it is hot and dry in your area and you have not had rain for a while, don't bother spraying. Your weeds aren't going to be taking up the chemical anyway.
CenterHillAg
AG
That's Roundup resistant waterhemp, all you'll do is piss it off with Roundup. Try using Dicamba with diesel, that might work. All the fields on the coast have them. Sucks to suck.
AGaddy
Looks like Rumex crispus L. or curly dock
CanyonAg77
AG
Also, read the directions. Roundup is a foliar herbicide. If you spray the ground, it does nothing.

Careless weeds are darn easy to kill. Hit them with 2,4-D when they are an inch or two high. Waiting until they are mature and making seed, no herbicide will work worth a darn. As said above, young and actively growing weeds are the ones to spray.

Besides, you've now waited until they made seed, and you've got another crop coming soon.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
2,4-D will work, Dicamba will work better. Shred weeds now, wait for next rain for it to start growing again. Treat with .5Lbs of Dicamba/A. You can use diesel as a surfactant, but you will likely have better results using an actual surfactant. Diesel is expensive. You could even use dish soap if you want to.

Agronomist/Weed Scientist

ETA: Sorry to steal your sig AgResearch...We have very similar credentials though.

[This message has been edited by Seven (edited 7/26/2012 5:59p).]
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Also, check the Texas Department of Agriculture website for spray restrictions. You might not be able to treat until after the cotton has been harvested.
Tex Aggie
AG
where are you located?

also it is against the law to broadcast spray with diesel or gasoline

Above recommendations are correct about timing and products.

Roundup or 24D has no residual
Dicamba does

CCA/chemical sales
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.