Outdoors
Sponsored by

I absolutely despise

7,787 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by schmellba99
Michael Shumard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fisherman who drive full speed 100 yards from my decoys, then start fishing 175 yards away. There is a whole lake to fish. I fish the lake all the time - I wasn't in a hot spot. To top it off he didn't catch anything... It's not like he had Slayed them the day before. Come on!
txaggie02
AG
I would have shot up into the air into his direction and let the pellets come down into his boat. That's bull****.
Michael Shumard
I did. Was hoping blackcloud somehow screwed up his engine. *****
dodger02
AG
Where are you?

Not sure if you're "home"...but Stillhouse boaters seem to always be inconsiderate. Not sure why.

[This message has been edited by dodger02 (edited 1/22/2012 12:06p).]
CS78
fire up the boat and go do some laps around him at 1/4 throttle with the boat lugged down in the water causing as much wave as possible til he gets the hint and moves on.
txaggie02
AG
Shu, when are you coming back up to Dallas to visit?
Terk
AG
I wouldn't have gone Bobby Knight on him, but that's bullsh! Hunter harrassment is no joke... eff that guy.
bushman
AG
I had some numnuts do that on Cooper a few years ago. He shut off the motor and made a cast INTO my decoys before I could even stand up. I jumped up off of the log I was sitting on and gave him a few choice words, and the idiot almost jumped out of his boat. Like some drivers out there, many people just go through life with blinders on. How could you not see a decoy spread, and just avoid them.
aggielostinETX
AG
get boat numbers, call game warden for harassment...
Michael Shumard
02 - I know I'll be upthere this summer. I'm saving money for 4 - yes 4 consecutive batchelor parties - 2 in new Orleans one in rockport and one in shreveport... That along with 3 tuxes, and wedding gifts - I'm frying screwed

I was not in bell county - I was further south.

I just can't fathom what he was thinking. I woke up hours before he did and he ruins my time
Ol Jock 99
AG
"Not sure if you're "home"...but Stillhouse boaters seem to always be inconsiderate. Not sure why."

Because Stillhouse is just a freaking river these days. Amazing sad, especially near the long bridge.
dodger02
AG
^
It might be worse today. But, when I was fishing 3-4 times a week a few years ago, I'd get buzzed by bass boats all of the time. Rarely happened on Belton or Granger...but was common on Stillhouse. Not sure why.
schmellba99
AG
I feel your pain Mike. Used to happen at least 3-4 times a season when I hunted pretty hard core on East Matty. It usually happened more in the second half of the split than the first. I guess the fishermen just figured that once the split hits, the season is over.

The worst one was the only time I intentionally peppered somebody. We were that mad. While putting out spread out (45 mins or so before shooting light), we were spotlighted not once - but TWICE by the same fisherman. Both times we made ourselves and location very well known, and the big white boat next to us was also a pretty big clue. Both times the fisherman left, then came back 20 or so minutes later. The third time he came back, we had finished setting our spread up and were in the blind, and it was pushing shooting light. Both of us stood up and waved at him.

As dawn broke, lo and behold - the fisherman was camped about 150 yards off our spread, directly in front of us. We were not happy. Peppering shots were fired. Words were exchanged on the way out. Completely ruined a hunt.

Unfortunately, on any public land, you are going to just have idiots ruin a hunt on occasion. It happened to me a couple of times dove hunting in AZ - funny thing was I was ripped pretty hard on this very board for blowing off some steam after that hunt.
Trigger06
AG
I understand you were mad. But shooting in someone's direction is very very stupid.
DeBoss
AG
Oh come on Trigger, shooting a shotgun at someone 100 yards away will do absolutely nothing. I've been peppered from like 50 yards and could barely even feel it. It's a great way to get their attention without doing any damage or harm to them.
Michael Shumard
Go ahead and cuff me!
schmellba99
AG
quote:
But shooting in someone's direction is very very stupid.

How about looking at it from the proper perspective:

Camping out in the shooting lane of duck hunters when you arrived to a fishing spot an hour after they were already in place, thereby exposing yourself to being peppered, it's pretty farking stupid.

See, that sounds a hell of a lot better, and much more in line with whom the idiocy lies.
MouthBQ98
AG
Who hasn't had shot rain down on them at 100-150 yards from someone?
Sean98
AG
Rather than, "who hasn't had shot rain down on them" the better question is "who has purposefully shot someone?"

Because that is what you did. You tried to shoot someone.

I hunt public ground a ton. And fish on it too. Both people have the right to be there. Is there/should there be an unspoken code to not intrude on others? Sure, but it isn't the law.

I watched a guy shoot a pheasant dead at 80 yards 3 weeks ago, so to just pass off "it's okay to shoot someone at 100 yards because you can't hurt them" is just insane.

If you don't like the fact that someone might screw up your hunt them buy your own damn place. Or do like I do and hunt public and know that from time to time some jackhole is going to screw up your hunt.

People interrupt my bowhunts all the time (usually duck hunters walking creeks). Is it okay if I shoot them with a blunt tip because it'll hurt like hell but not injure them? It'd be awful satisfying, but no it's not okay. Because it COULD injure them. I've been peppered more than I'd like to admit, but I've also seen a guy take a single bb right in the eye at a long distance. It's extremely rare but it happens.

This entire thread is ridiculous and an embarrassment. Any of you who ever (rightfully) gave AgeofEase08 s*** about shooting into the bushes should be just as vehement on this thread.
rab79
AG
Sean
schmellba99
AG
There is a huge difference between accidentally coming across somebody in the course of hunting public land, which is generally expected on occasion, and knowing somebody or a group of hunters is in a specific location and setting up your operations without pause for your safety or those of the other hunting party.

Night and day difference.

The overly pretentious attitude needs to follow the turd I'm dropping right now, because that is where it belongs.
txaggie02
AG

quote:
The overly pretentious attitude needs to follow the turd I'm dropping right now

txaggie02
AG
There is also a huge difference between peppering somebody and shooting directly at them. I see nothing wrong with "accidentally" having some pellets fall onto somebody, as it has happened to most anybody that has ever dove hunted. Shooting directly at them is another thing.

[This message has been edited by txaggie02 (edited 1/23/2012 1:23p).]
WildcatAg
AG
quote:
I've been peppered from like 50 yards and could barely even feel it. It's a great way to get their attention without doing any damage or harm to them.

I need to get my turkey gun patterned for the spring, would you mind holding up a piece of poster board for me?
CS78
Dont intentionally place yourself within peppering distance if you dont want to get peppered.
MouthBQ98
AG
Are we talking 8 shot or 4 shot? Someone needs to clarify.
AggieChemist
AG
I think we can make a blanket statement that intentionally shooting at or in the direction of someone we DO NOT INTEND TO KILL (even if they are an *******) is bad.

Firearms safety rule #1.
Michael Shumard
Let me rephrase - I shot at a 75 or 80 degree angle. I did not hit them...

aggiegolfer03
AG
I had duck hunters keep me from fishing about half of what I wanted to in the Colorado this weekend, so I'm having a hard time finding any sympathy for someone being mad about another using public waters.

That's about as ascinine as complaining about traffic to me...

There is a difference in being curtious and being and ahole with public use though....

In my case I had duck hunters on both sides of a narrow spot in the river with no choice but to go between them slowly and paddle back up even slower when it was time for me to head back.

[This message has been edited by Aggiegolfer03 (edited 1/23/2012 5:42p).]
aggielostinETX
AG
you get mad when skiers or jetskis get too close?

[This message has been edited by Deats (edited 1/23/2012 5:39p).]
NW80
AG
I can't believe this discussion is going on!
I spend many wakeless hours fixing/saving people who are shot for as nebulous a reason as this!
&h!t guys, listen to yourselves!

You "internet rambos" all need to choose up sides, drink a couple of beers and light it up !!!
AND, don't call an ambulance!
What if you were on the recieving end?
I'll bet none of y'all have ever even seen a dead body or had to tell someone their loved one has died.
Now, lets just take it a step up/down you blind the guy for life..... over what ????
Killing a couple of "Pond Inspectors"?
taquache02
Ol Jock 99
AG
The ER Doc had a point.
schmellba99
AG
Jesus tap dancing Christ, some of you folks need to use just a pinch of congitive thinking before you being spouting off about the actions taken when you weren't there.

Assumption is the mother of all fark ups, and a fair amount of the folks on here are apparently masters at fark ups.

A shotgun, fired in the air at a high degree of angle, at a range of 100-150 yards will not yield sufficient velocity on a #4 steel pellet to cause any damage, even if it were to hit somebody in the eye as they were looking skyward at the exact wrong moment. That whole terminal velocity thing, mass of the projectile, etc. It will have no more lethal velocity than a pelican turd dropped from a couple of hundred feet.

Instead of focusing your internet badass anger on a duck hunter, how about taking about a half second to think "hrmmmm....duck hunter was in position, decoys spread and in the blind over an hour before inconsiderate fisherman decided to make camp within this (supposed) lethal range of a shotgun, and in the line of fire, after duck hunter (who remember now - has right of way because they were there first) made themselves known to be in the area".

Rule #1 about public areas, especially where waterfowl hunting is concerned is simple: first come, first serve. That is one - hell its the primary - reason that hunters on the bay get to their spots several hours before shooting light. It's not because we love getting up that early, it's not because we need several hours to set out the decoys - it's simply because even if you spend the time and money building the blind in your perfect spot, if you get there late and somebody else is using it - tough luck. First come, first serve. That goes for fishermen that decide to hit the bay during duck season too - we all share the water and coast lines and the same rules apply.

Accidentaly coming up on a hunter or fisherman that is there before you happens - every one of us has been on both sides of the fence on this. 99.999999999999% of the time if you are courteous, everybody waves, smiles and still manages to have a great time. Sometimes you end up meeting a new friend, comparing hunting or fishing areas or end up combining forces for a hopefully better hunt. But if you are the jackass that weighs anchor 75 yards off of a spread during duck season, full well knowing that hunters have laid claim to that area prior to your arrival, then getting peppered is a choice you make. If you are a duck hunter and you show up late and there is a fisherman in your cove, you move on and find a different area. I was always told (no idea if this is a law or just common sense - probably common sense) that you want 300 yards minimum between you and the next hunting group - so you don't pepper one another, and so that your effect on their hunt (and vice versa) is minimized. Simple.As.That.

Same for jet skiers or shallow water boat drivers that haul ass in the flats past fisherman with lines in the water. You are a jackwagon for doing so.

Yeah, using a little common sense would just royally screw up a good internet brawl over a situation you pretty much know jack and squat about.

And I would absolutely LOVE to see any one of you start fishing in front of Shumard's blind during duck season and then try to tell him face to face that he was the one that needs to move. I would pay good money to see that.
sunchaser
AG
....so is getting peppered at 75 yards OK?

Can you please provide a link to the full list of rules?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.