Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cheap or DIY Kayak rack(help, need to get a 13ft yak in a pickup)

55,158 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by Ag_of_08
Ag_of_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fixing to buy a yak(probably tomorrow) and need to figure out how I can move it in a small pickup. I'm not terribley enthused with the idea of having 7+ foot of kayak hanging out the bed of the truck.

Looking at two option right now:

1. Something like this

2.Doing something like this. Maybe just sticking the tail in the bed and putting a foam block on the roof and tying it down? I'm worried the wind from going 65 is going to be kinda rough on the hull though.

if yall could help I'd appreciate it.
AgTech88
AG
If your truck has a reciever hitch there is a rack that goes in the reciever. It can go up to be even with top of the cab just past the tailgate or turned over and is even with the open tailgate/bed and sticks back several feet. Someone not mobile can find you a link. Not expensive and very useful.

AggieChemist
AG
I put my 12' yak in the bed of my pickup all the time. There's only 4' or so sticking out with the gate down.

Cinch it down with ratchet straps and it's not going anywhere. I drove mine from WV to MO last year and it never budged.
AgTech88
AG
This is what I an talking about - Thule 997 GoalPost Kayak. You can find off brands for half this price. You will be amazed how much you will use it - especially if you have a small truck or short bed.

CEPhD
AG
These are not a bad option.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=bed+extender
Kenneth_2003
AG
I bought my father a 16' canoe for Christmas and had to haul it from Corpus to Magnolia. I set it upside down in the bed and used foam (swimming pool noodles) over the gunnales (sp) to protect my cab. That truck had an 8' bed so the conoe was still well over the hood. A set of rachet straps in the back by the tailgate and a set from the bow to my tow hooks. Make sure the front two are equally tensioned. Also take twine and zigzag back and forth between the front ties. This dampens any harmonics that try to develop betwwen the two. I didn't have the twine for my trip from Corpus to Beeville and had some minor issues. Added the twine and made the haul to Magnolia (200 miles) with ease!
Ag_of_08
AG
No hitch receiver, and I'm borrowing the pickup until I can get a rack system for my car(stuck driving a pt cruiser I inherited until gas gets a little more reasonable) so I'm not forking out for one..

I bought the stuff to do the PVC rack, it was only 40$ or so. if it don't work I'll set it in the bed
MouthBQ98
AG
truck without a receiver = not a truck.

I went the bed extender route for my 15 foot yak.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I'd go with the first option but tweak the PVC design so the cross-bracing isn't in the middle of the bed.

I built a rack from 2x4s and while it works well I want to make a PVC one.

I too used to carry my kayaks in the bed of my truck and looked at using the bed-extender but I decided I'd rather have something elevated so I don't lose the cargo space in the bed when I'm hauling my yaks. With the raised rack I can put the yaks over the cab and still put a bunch of gear in the bed.
Ag_of_08
AG
mouth- truck isn't mine, and is a freaking isuzu(I didn't tell her to buy it but w/e she didn't listen to me...). It barely qualifies as is.

I'm almost done cloning the rack pictured above. I'd be done if
A. hadn't forgot to pick up bolts at the hardware store this morning
B. Hadn't had a t fitting go about 10* off square on me(the neighbors came over to see if I had cut a finger off when I found this out). I've got to go buy a coupler and trim it down....
Ag_of_08
AG
ok First version is done. I need to find a better attachment system for the frame to the bed.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.