Outdoors
Sponsored by

another carry gun question

1,847 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by MisterShipWreck
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i've been wanting a gun for concealed carry for a very long time. i know there are around eleventy billion threads on here about the best concealed carry guns... and this is another one.

i've been slowly saving up money to buy the best gun possible. i've resisted temptation to buy some of the "cheaper" models... but i figure if the time comes to use this thing i want my life in the hands of the best money could buy.

this is the part where i ask you to make recommendations.
AgBrad08
Glock, Springfield, Sig Sauer, Smith & Wesson M&P... im probably missing a couple of the good manufacturers

all good choices for Semiauto handguns. A big part of it will be based on the feel of the gun in your hands.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
are all of those models truly equal? what caliber is "best"?

and since obviously nobody will know how a gun feels in MY hands... i'm just looking for the generally accepted truth.
AgBrad08
They are all generally considered good quality reliable guns. As far as equal, I cant really say. A sig will cost more than the others, but whether or not that makes it better I dont know.

Asking for best caliber is opening up a can of worms. Most old guys will tell you that you should go with the largest caliber you can shoot well. It doesn't matter which caliber you choose if you can shoot with it well.

Nuke LaLoosh
AG
i'm talking for concealed carry... so wouldnt something in the mid ranges be better?
Norseman912
H&K Compact. Get the .40 cal.
Post removed:
by user
JBLHAG03
AG
Although it was more than I wanted to spend, I would recommend a Kimber Ultra Cary II - http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/ultracarry/ultra_carry_II/

I have a XD45 compact, but the Kimber is a lot smaller & lighter for concealed carry.
AgBrad08
mid price range or caliber?

either way its really going to be up to you.

Alot of people swear by glocks because police carry them. While alot of people swear by Sigs because the FBI (i think) carries them.

I went with a Springfield XD 45 compact because I liked it, it fit good, and the price was good. Whenever I go to buy ammo though, I wish I would have gone with a 9mm just because of the price of ammo to practice.

If anyone else makes suggestions it will probably be to go get your hands on some of them and shoot the ones that you like.

You may not get many more replies because this question gets asked twice a week. The search function on Texags hasn't been very useful to me, but maybe it works better for people with stars.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
like i said... i just want the best, regardless of price. i guess i figured there'd be a more uniform answer... but it appears not.

i like the way that a sig feels... but then again i've shot a kel-tec that felt good too. from what i know those are pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum.
AgBrad08
I have never shot a kel-tec, but most reports about those I hear are that they are a better than nothing type gun.

guitarace010
As far as caliber, it depends on how you expect to be using it most (granted we all hope to never use a weapon for anything other than target practice or hunting). If you live in a compact house or one where everyone lives in the same small area of rooms you want a hollow point (less penetration) in probably a smaller caliber (9mm .38 special). If secondary kills due to penetration are not a primary problem (live alone, large floor plan with people spread out) you could go with something bigger like .40 or .45 and hollow points would be optional.

just my opinion. HTH
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
i'm thinking i really dont want a 9 mm. .40 cal seems about right.

which is the best .40 cal?
Norseman912
H&K Compact. Stop ignoring me Nuke you poooooooon!
Norseman912
My gun: http://www.hk-usa.com/uspc_general.asp
RBoutdoors
I would go with hollow points no matter what caliber you choose. there are benefits of them all all 45's usually hold a lot less ammo then 40 which holds less ammo than most 9mm. there is usually more recoil with a 40 than there is with a 9 (if using the same model, but will vary between guns). Like most will tell you, shoot as many as you can and see what you like. shot placement and ammo are more important than caliber.
Norseman912
Rb, you're not creative enough...

In the mag load hollowpoint, hydroshock, hollowpoint, hydroshock.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
is H&K even in the discussion for "best" gun?

i need more exact model/ammo suggestions.
Norseman912
Nuke, I sent you the url of the model and told you .40 is good. Is H&K even in the discussion??? Why don't you ask my sister's boyfriend who fought in Afghanistan with an H&K sidearm and literally threw s sheetfit when the Army took away their H&K's for Beretta's. Do a little research to see who uses 'em. Most people don't buy them b/c of the cost, but you won't find a more reliable gun, other than Glock.
AgBrad08
yeah, HK is definitely a good gun too. My list wasn't exhaustive, just the ones I could think of on the top of my head.
akaggie05
AG
quote:
In the mag load hollowpoint, hydroshock, hollowpoint, hydroshock.

Huh? Hydra-shoks are hollowpoints. Pretty bad ones at that (old technology). I'd recommend Gold Dot, Federal HST, or Remington Golden Saber.
wadd96
AG
While Kimber makes a damn fine gun, I wouldn't want to carry a firearm with a dovetail.

My choice, and this as personal of a choice as which condom you wear, is a S&W MP9C with CT grips. Fits my hand (I can't handle a single stack and much prefer double stack) loaded with RBCD (which I also load in my S&W MP40 for home defense.)
AG
smitty 642!!!
jh0400
AG
S&W 360PD. Double action reliability, shoots 3 calibers, extremely lightweight.

rjamizon
third vote for a Smith and Wesson airweight 642. i don't see myself accurately shooting a 357, so a 38 +P is just as good, and cheaper. model 442 is black and model 642 is metalic. they are the same gun other than that.

edit: i forgot to mention that its small enough to just put in your pockets with no holster, and lightweight enough not to drag your pants down.

edit 2: also, its internal hammer keeps it from getting snagged on your pocket/holster on the draw.

[This message has been edited by rjamizon (edited 5/31/2009 9:57p).]

[This message has been edited by rjamizon (edited 5/31/2009 9:58p).]
GAC06
AG
Ask plaxico burress if it's a good idea to carry without a holster
akaggie05
AG
quote:
just put in your pockets with no holster

Enjoy AD's much?
USDA AG
The best handgun for one person is not the best for another. If you are not going to shoot frequently, and practice with it, a 1911 is not the right choice. The muscle memory required to thumb that safety off when you are in the middle of a high stress moment is going to demand a lot of shooting. I had a buddy that shot a lot, but at a FBI "Hogan's Alley" when he pulled his 1911 it wouldn't go bang, he was stressed and forgot to thumb down the safety. If you are not going to put in the practice and shooting time on the range, I would stick with a pistol like the Springfield XD or the Glock. You will not have to learn to push this, or turn this, you just grip the pistol, squeeze the trigger and it goes bang! I prefer the XD over the Glock, it just fits me a lot better and it points more naturally for me. It also has the same grip angle as a 1911, and I have found that the XD's are very reliable, and very accurate. Here is the XD torture test. http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php I carry a custom Les Baer 1911 most of the time, but I have trained my girls on the XD because they do not have the time in at the range, and the practice shooting that I have. My muscle memory is automatic, but shooting thousands and thousands of rounds will do that. I like the Sig's ok, but I would rather have a XD. Whatever you decide, I would strongly suggest renting or borrowing a couple of different models so that you can find what fits you best, and what you will feel confident in shooting. Just my two cents, good luck on your purchase, and welcome to the world of handguns. Join the NRA, and the TSRA, without them we probably would just be shooting rubber bands.
gibberish
AG
I would suggest a Sig P239, available in 9mm, .357, and .40

There is a reason Sig is trusted by so many top units. Including but not limited to the following:

United States Naval Criminal Investigation Service
United States Department of Veterans Affairs Police
United States Department of Homeland Security
Federal Air Marshal Service
United States Coast Guard
United States Secret Service (.357 SIG)
United States Department of State - Diplomatic Security Service (P229 Rail, 9mm)
Texas Highway Patrol (.357 Sig)

Since you are wanting the best money can buy. I would say Sig, HK, Kimber.

Glock and Springfield are like Hondas and Toyotas, reliable but nothing fancy.
rjamizon
i have know idea what you mean by ADs?
AgBrad08
AD= Accidental Discharge.

Although accident implies you aren't really at fault, which usually isn't the case.

Negligent Discharge is the term I prefer.

I wouldn't suggest cramming a loaded gun into your parts, especially since its pointed at your manhood.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
i was previously very biased toward sig because of something i've read somewhere, so i guess that's been at the top of my list.

norse... i'll give the ol' H&K a shot... but only because i know you really hate liberals.

now where can i go that will let me shoot both of these?
Complaint Investigator
AG
[enter the Sig snob]

Crap wrong thread. This was for another one. But hey, mine is a carry "sized" gun. So P220 carry Ignore the rest of what I spewed.

P220 or P226. I've got the 220 carry model in a SAO (They only come in a .45) Picture on a piece of paper for size comparison below. CPO or some new from a place like Buds would be in your price range (Buds has a used P220 Carry for $689 shipped right now.) Assuming you are willing to wait for Buds to get some of the "cheaper versions" in stock for new. My dad just bought a Para P12 that he seems to like well enough, too but that's the only input I have to go on for that gun.

[This message has been edited by TXAGChick06 (edited 6/1/2009 6:43p).]
dodger02
AG
Get a caliber you are comfortable shooting. Understand, too, that the bigger the round, the more expensive it is to shoot. You'll want to practice, so ammo cost should be considered.

With premium bullets these days, a well-placed 9mm, .38+P, .40, or .45 will all do the trick.

I'm a confident shooter...but I don't feel comfortable using a sub-compact in .40 or .45. The .40 is too "snappy" and the .45 is just too much, IMO. It's just not enjoyable. If my pinky finger is dangling off...a 9mm is for me. I will, however, shoot a compact in .40...so long as all of my fingers are on the gun. But, that's just my preference. You (and everyone else) could be totally different.

Like everyone has said, shoot 'em before you buy 'em...especially if you're not entirely comfortable.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
where can i do this? any standard gun range?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.