Outdoors
Sponsored by

Czech...

112,458 Views | 375 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Shoefly!
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're trying to teach Zachary about his pupek right now!
Duck Blind
AG

[This message has been edited by Frisco Kid (edited 12/24/2010 6:07a).]
BohunkAg
AG
Bobby Jones was the man. I made my wife listen to him tonight. Too bad what happened to him.

The Vrazels are still the best. Their retirement dance is tomorrow. Listened to Alfred's show for years. Now I listen to David Kolar (my neighbor) on KHBR in Hillsboro. Also listened to one of Lee Roy Matocha's seemingly hundreds of shows when I was at A&M....was always on 1280 in Brenham.
jejdag
When is the show on from Hillsboro, and what is the frequency? I live in Temple, and can maybe pick that up. I like the Vrazels real well. Used to always see them at St. Martins picnic in Tours when I lived up that way.
Jejdanecky ! <--- Did any of y'all ever hear that growing up?

Never mind, I went to the interweb and looked it up..its 1560 AM, Sundays from 1 to 3.

I'll try it!

[This message has been edited by jejdag (edited 1/24/2009 7:50a).]
jpb1999
AG
quote:

Heck, my family still says this all the time... I even broke out kuzinec 'KOO-shee-nets' last night talking about cops giving DWIs to people on backcountry roads...

If in Temple you can get:

KMIL AM1330(105.1 FM) Cameron Sundays 12:15 to 4:30 Polka Show
KRXT FM 98.5 Rockdale Sundays 2:00-5:00 Polka Show
Duck Blind
AG

jpb1999
AG
It is pronounced Sva-Chee-Na = afternoon snack
BohunkAg
AG
and it's spelled svacina.

My uncle talks about his wedding (in the 40s) that they had it in the morning (that's the way they used to do it) and they had a little svacina after it and that was the reception.
BohunkAg
AG
you got it jejdag....you may have trouble catching it in Temple, though. Houston's 1560 AM has a pretty strong signal now and may come in over KHBR, which is a great station in general by the way. It's a throwback to old small town AM radio stations. Saturday mornings are fantastic on there. They play old country.
Texgal65
Speaking of weddings...my mom and dad often talked about their wedding day. They were married on a Monday morning at 7:30 at the Catholic church, complete with bridesmaids and groomsmen. They had a dance in the morning, lunch, a dance in the afternoon, a big supper and then another dance. People would take off work in those days to attend a Svadba (wedding)
Curak73
Not sure what else to add.

Sponjak /Spon-yak/ is underwear, always a favorite.

Potjsem was always used for "come here"

I saw Jejida necki somewhere in here. Mostly leave off the "necki". Isn't this an equivalent of "Jesus Christ!"

Dobrou noc, dajme hubicky was "Good night, give me a kiss"

Prsi, prsi, zaba nemas usi was "Rain, rain, frog has no ears."
Curak73
Oh yeah, not an "inch of rain", but an "eench of rain"
Jett01
AG
quote:
dajme hubicky

Ha, my mom taught me this one, and I said it to a friend once, thinking he didn't know what it meant, and I almost got an unexpcted kiss!

My grandpa on my dad's side and my grandma on my mom's side are both Czech.

Grandpa was born in Moulton and married a German girl from Shiner.

Grandma was born in Moravia and married a German boy from El Campo.
Ag83
AG
quote:

Hey, I think (depending on how it's pronounced) that this is one of those my uncle used to say but would never tell me the meaning of. It's been a lot of years, but it was something like YA nah nich kee. That sound about right?
BohunkAg
AG
quote:
Hey, I think (depending on how it's pronounced) that this is one of those my uncle used to say but would never tell me the meaning of. It's been a lot of years, but it was something like YA nah nich kee. That sound about right?

I just realized what you guys were saying! Heck yeah my grandma used to say it all the time, our priest in West says it (he's Bohemian too), and I say it sometimes too!
BohunkAg
AG
One more comment....growing up I always felt like we had a special thing here in West and was very anxious about going off to school. I did not want to leave. My dad "convinced" me. Once I got there, the coolest thing was that I realized that there were people at A&M who grew up just like I did in places like Halletsville, La Grange, Fayetteville, Caldwell etc. I just remember being so blown away by that. I still think it's cool.
jpb1999
AG
It is Jejida necki = YAY dah NICH kee = Jesus Christ

Curak, thanks for posting the correct spellings, I am enjoying trying to say them correctly...
jpb1999
AG
I was just informed that hubicky = Who Bit chkee = many kisses but Who Bit chKoo = 1 kiss

Do we need to petition Brandon for a Czech board.. this thead is getting out of hand.
jejdag
I don't wanna be argumentative, but my starenka always said jejdanecky, and I don't like thinking she was taking the Lord's name in vain (God rest her soul). My Mom (maminka) told me it was "a mild expletive". I will ask my older brother, who didn't learn English until he started to school. We always were told that "safra" meant damn, but I think it's actually the word for dam.

Here's one....potvoda PAWTH vawda....ever hear that one?
jpb1999
AG
You're right I'm sorry, it means "Oh my gosh" not Jesus Christ... I actually never exactly what it meant, and took the post above as fact. My mom just said Jejida means "Oh my"... not sure exactly what necki means.
jejdag
I always thought svacina meant sandwich. Funny how in the past I've used words one way because that's how we'd learned them as a kid, only to find out later it's not necessarily so. Do you say vyet or estcheh (not sure how to spell e'm) for "more"? I always used estcheh, but was later told that vyet was correct, and that eschech meant "enough".
BBQ
AG
How about this one, one of my favorites from my Great Grandpa Hajda, he came over the big pond in 1908, "Go trough the cow over da fence some hay!" translation, go through some hay over the fence to the cows!

thrash can = trash can
tunder head = thunder head
tistle = thistle

I seen mentioned the "swatcina" wow that brings back memories!

Working in the fields with my grandpa (Pepo), Memo would brind Pepo a jar full of hot Sanka instant coffee and I woud get a Pepsi that was rolled in paper towels so that it may stay cool. Then Memo would either had made homemade donuts with powder sugar or penut butter, chocolate and powder sugar cracker sandwiches.

Did your Grandpas ever call you a tisi maly prrt?

You guys probably have heard "Jezui Maria" a few times! Means Jesus and Mary but is used as an expletive sort of our equivalent to "Gawd Damn"!

BTW, I love going back home to Christmas Mass. The Czech choir always performs and it brings back so many memories.

Another thing that is sort of different, when I am around all my great aunts and uncles, they speak to me in Czech and that frustrates the crap out of my wife. She does not understand a word! I have to always politely ask them to speak in English! Then I will get a tongue lashing for not teaching her Czech or get tormented for not marrying a good Czech girl! I tell them I got as close as I could get, I found a German!

[This message has been edited by BBQ (edited 1/25/2009 8:22a).]
Duck Blind
AG

Cen-Tex
AG
Ty jsi maly prd...you are a little fart.

Ever been called ...ty jsi opice? (you are a monkey) It's a good one to call the kids. Pronounced TEE SEE OPEETZA
Duck Blind
AG

[This message has been edited by Frisco Kid (edited 12/24/2010 6:08a).]
Astrobo
AG
None of you honyocks have brought up one word about calling someone a honyock yet. Not many conversation get far without use of that word.

[This message has been edited by Astrobo (edited 1/25/2009 8:20p).]

[This message has been edited by Astrobo (edited 1/25/2009 8:21p).]
BBQ
AG
How about mischok? pronounced "mis chalk"

means city dweller, city slicker
Z100
AG
+1 for Praha festival - spent many Sunday's going to mass - I remember when the men and women still sat on opposite sides of the church and the end of mass was said in Czech...

Flatonia Czhillispiel can be a good Czech event. Last full weekend in October...
maroonblood08
AG
1/2 Czech here.
TRL-Ag
1/2 Czech if anyone knows a Czech hottie gotta keep the good blood flowing in my kids....I got in trouble for calling my belly button pupek...my name's from the old country too its from my dad's side his mom grew up in Cistern then moved to Flatonia and his dad grew up in La Grange dej mi pivo
TRL-Ag
family's land is in Flatonia Czhilispiel is an awesome time...Saturday night is really awesome Texas Country and $2 beers you can't beat it and that includes Shiner
jejdag
My mom grew up in Cistern, too! Still got cousins that live there. Cistern's church picnic in late August is a pretty good time.
Skippy85
Astrobo, my grandfather's favorite thing to tell us kids...."You honyocks get in here and eat." My football coach in high school was not Czech, but he picked up that one word and barked his orders to the "bunch of honyocks" he had playing for him.
jpb1999
AG
I dated a former Miss Czhilispiel for a while... never made it to the event though.
melissa07
AG
1/2 Czech here. We tease my mom that she "ruined" it for us... Dad's side is 100% Czech. He was born and raised in Ennis and every 2 years we have a family reunion which draws several hundred people.

I too never learned the language, with the exception of a few words and phrases that have already been mentioned. I love to hear my grandparents speak to each other in Czech and my dad is guilty of blaring Polka music when he's doing work around the house. I love it because it reminds me of all of the weddings I attended while growing up. We went to so many of his cousins' weddings (his father was one of 13 children and his mother was one of 8, I believe) as well as those of his 5 brothers and sisters. Big families, big weddings. A Czech wedding cannot be beat!! It's an all day event with family, food and Polka music - what could be better?!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.