Outdoors
Sponsored by

Czech...

112,561 Views | 375 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Shoefly!
I am the Aggman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
By the way, the word kolache is plural...one kolache is called a koláè or kolach.

Cool, thanks for that tidbit, I didn't know that. Much like most don't know that you don't eat a tamale. It's a tamal. When you have more than one they become tamales.

Whoop coo ca choo
jpb1999
AG
My more meaningful post...

Karolina Kurkova

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 1/15/2010 4:14p).]
jpb1999
AG
cen-tex, I am glad you brought up the kolach v kolache thing... it BUGS me when people call one kolach a kolache, with the long e sound at the end.

Ag83
AG
Any of you Czechs speak the language? One of my biggest regrets in my life is that my Dad didn't teach me as I was growing up (he and all his siblings as well as my late paternal grandparents speak/spoke it fluently)......well, other than the curse words/phrases I learned from my Dad and uncle growing up (even if sometimes they wouldn't tell me what it meant - but I could tell it wasn't good )
Nestea07
AG
Got Pivo?
B-1 83
AG
quote:
The other is Kountry Bakery at I-10 & Hwy 77 in Schulenburng. Dobre Smakuje'

The one in Halletsville is better.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Clearly I'm an Irish kid but I've got some Czech buddies and I'm surprised that there's no love here for Prasek's in Hillje SW of El Campo.

That place is AWESOME!
Texgal65
100% Czech here too. I also hate that I did not learn the language. My dad, who passed away 20 years ago, tried to teach me when I was a teenager, but I didn't care enough to learn it. I will go to my grave with regret for that.
My mother is a great cook and one of my favorite meals growing up was pork roast, dressing and saurkraut. MMMMM I can smell the garlic roasting now! My dad loved eating jitrnice (liver sausage) with syrup. Lots of my friends were disgusted when I would talk about that combination, but oh, it is soooooo good. My sister is 10 years older than I am. She can remember going to the bakery in downtown West when she was very young and asking for a black kolach....she wanted a prune one!
alley
+1 Czech
When I was growing up I spent about 6 weeks each summer in a tiny Nebraska town with my grandfather and great-grandparents. They spoke Czech but I never picked it up. They were all American born but my grandfather didn't speak English until he went to school.

My grandfather and I spent about a month in the Czech Republic in 2007. My first Europe trip. It was awesome.

Whenever I travel through Nebraska I still go back to the bakery and butcher in that town for kolaches and jaternice. My family hasn't found kolaches in Texas that we like as much.

I've done most of the Pimsleur Czech CDs but my grandfather doesn't really speak it with me. I don't get the reinforcement I need to really keep it. Chtela bych pivo!
jpb1999
AG
alley, is that Wilber, Nebraska? It is supposed to the Czech capital of the US. I know there is quite a big czech population in nebraska, and I think I have some distant kinfolks there with the same last name, which is not a common one.

Try the Kolache Kitchen in Temple. It is not as well known but has been there forever. To me, it is one of my favorites and more of a traditional kolach... kinda like how my grandma used to make them.
birdman
I've met several Czechs. Actual guys from Czech, not Americans with Czech blood.

They all said that kolache translates to 'cake'. That's it. And there are a million types of cake, in Czech and US.
jpb1999
AG
Yes, in Czech thats what it means and in the Czech Republic there are many different kinds... however in the US a kolach is what is being talked about and described on this thread. Two different things because two different places...

[This message has been edited by jpb1999 (edited 1/18/2009 8:28p).]
Arminius
quote:
You czech vimmens are making us horny.

FIFY
kutacj
Jak si mas...100%! I have a lot of family around Weimar, La Grange, Halletsville, etc. God Bless all those weddings around Shiner. Gotta love Kasper's Meat Market in Weimar as well. The corner bakery was better a couple years ago, the one in Schulenburg replaced it.

Ag83...I speak the broken language! Haha..My dad and his brothers speak it all the time. My grandma actually taught me all the good words. I can listen to a conversation and understand it. Sometimes I am able to respond. It's my fault that I can't speak it fluently (sp)though, they tried when I was a kid, but I thought it was funny. Who's laughing now!

[This message has been edited by kutacj (edited 1/19/2009 6:36a).]
Arminius
quote:
Shiner is a Czech beer? I know the town is majority Czech, but Spoetzl was a Kraut, right?

Spoetzl was a Kraut and the beer is/was Bavarian... check out the 'Brewmaster Hall of Fame on Shiner's website:

http://www.shiner.com/main.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoetzl_Brewery

Czech or Kraut, it's still good beer!
Allen76
AG
okay BQ... you reminded me of an odd coincidence here.

first of all, I played in a C&W band for a while and we played a lot of Bob Wills. I can tell you that 2 of the 6 CD's loaded in my dash right now are Bob Wills. Here is the wierd thing...

Adolph Hofner played this San Antonio area a lot when I was a teenager. It got to be where he was just a little "old" for us young "hip" teenagers. Fast forward....

I had to quit the band to get a real job and ended up in Laredo oilfield for one year. There I met a businessman who had been on President Carters energy committee. ___ Felan from Alice. We got to talking about Bob Wills playing south Texas. When I asked him if he ever went to one of his dances, he said he might have but kind of avoided Bob Wills because he was "corny". Wow... similar to my friends and Adolph... that hurt.

BTW - Now that you know a little of my background, you might agree that I can tell the difference between Bob Wills singing and Merle Haggard, George Strait, or even Adolph Hofner singing Bob Wills' songs.
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm actually part Czech and German with some Pole and French in there in on my Dad's side. A real mutt. I am learning a little Czech frmo the Primsaleur CD's. My grandma could speak it, and my Grandpa probably understands it some though I've never heard him speak it.

It is not that far-fetched that some of us are distantly related.

My mom is Holub/Patek. Holub is roughly "Pidgeon" in Czech, and Patek is "Friday". If you go to Shiner, and see Friday's fried chicken, it is (or used to be) run by some of my distant relatives.

[This message has been edited by MouthBQ98 (edited 1/19/2009 9:49a).]
MouthBQ98
AG
Also Czechvar is a good import beer.

I always wondered my my grandma said "You want a Kolach?"

Als, about the Ukranian post: I think the Poles make Pierogies, too.

[This message has been edited by MouthBQ98 (edited 1/19/2009 9:52a).]
Allen76
AG
my klobasnek is bigger than your klobasneki

I worked in Victoria for 3 years. Some bakery downtown had some awesome kolaches and pigs in the blanket.
Texgal65
MouthBQ98 - My mother was a Holub as well. We used to have a family reunion every year that entailed a huge lunch. After everyone ate, we would all take a walk and we called it the Pigeon Trot~!
Curak73
I'm just posting because the Czechs on this post should immediately recognize my signature. Grandpa taught me the meaning when a lad, but now he regrets it as I use it in casual conversation just to playfully irritate him.

For the non-Czechs, "curak" = the dangly thing that men have and women do not.
jpb1999
AG
Curak, that is funny. I knew how to say it and what it meant, but didn't know how to spell it. What about cerna, pronounced chednaw...

While we are naming names, any Shereks, Skrhaks, Havelkas, or Billecks in the house?
tree91
AG
Should we have a TexAgs meeting at the KJT?

http://www.visitennis.org/Festivals/National_Polka_Festival.html
kutacj
What about Puscha? That's what the ladies have and men don't! hahaha...spelling should be correct.
BULL
AG
more Czech & Bohemian hotties please
Ag83
AG
Curak, how is that pronounced? CHU' dok by chance?
Apache
AG
My Czech stepdad taught my daughter that her bellybutton was her pupek. The folks at day care couldn't figure out what the heck she was saying.... they thought it was a cuss word!

I know maybe 100-200 Czech words by sound, but I couldn't spell them for the life of me.

quote:
chednaw

RACIST!

[This message has been edited by Apache (edited 1/19/2009 3:37p).]
CentralTXag
AG
Another Czech "checking" in here from my Dad's side (he grew up near Praha / Moulton). I enjoyed reading through this thread, especially the difference between kolaches and pigs-in-a-blanket. When I lived in Lafayette, Louisiana a few years ago everyone called pigs-in-a-blanket kolaches. I gave up trying to explain the difference. Shiner beer may be a bavarian brew, but in the early days it was brewed and consumed primarily by Czechs living around Shiner. I remember as a kid (we'll say 30+ years ago) seeing a lot of it consumed at family get togethers, but no one else having ever heard about it. Then when I got to A&M, I was surprised to see how popular it was at the Dixie Chicken. I also have a regret about not having learned the language. My Dad can read and write it, but my Mom spoke German; so they could only converse in English at home, and I didn't learn either language.
MouthBQ98
AG
My gramps always called us "Schratskas" when we were being little turds (phoenetically spelled out). I think it means sewage or something like that.

As a kid, I thought the english word for belly button WAS pupek! It was the only word I had ever heard for it growing up.

On the hotties front, I belive petra nemcova was also Czech, but I'm not sure.

[This message has been edited by MouthBQ98 (edited 1/19/2009 3:47p).]
Curak73
Yeah, its CHU-dok. It is the whole "rolling the r" thing.

In Czech, if a c has a little "v" above it, it is pronounced with "h" after it. Same thing with "s" and "z". Hence, CHU-dok. Can't type it that way though, so use the imagination.

Yeah, I think it is slacka (slotchka) which in conversation is little turd, but I think literally it was the runny kind. Hovno was generally used for just plain "sh/t".

I'm 35. Knew all four grand-parents. And Czech was offered as a language at my high school.
Ag83
AG
quote:
As a kid, I thought the english word for belly button WAS pupek!

Same here. There are still some phrases my late uncle used to say that he'd never tell me the meaning of (and my Dad won't either). Man I sure wish I knew what they mean - they have to be good ones.

[edit]: I knew the word - my uncle called me that all the time - but I could have never spelled it. Thanks for the insight. As above, I have some other ones maybe you could help me with - but I have no idea how to spell them either.

[This message has been edited by Ag83 (edited 1/19/2009 4:41p).]
Curak73
Oh yeah.

Cerna (cher-na) also has the little "v". That is black (f).

Cernoch (cher-nok) is black man. Cernoska (cher-nosh-ka) is black woman.

Cerna opice (cher-na o-peet-se) is black monkey.

Ukaz me tvuj prsa (U-kazh mye tvoo-yee per-sa) is "Show me your teats"
MouthBQ98
AG
Need that on a bumpersticker!
jpb1999
AG
This is funny... I thought it was pupek also. We also called gnats mooshskies, no idea on the propper spelling. My friends at school made fun of me for years for that one.

Duck Blind
AG

[This message has been edited by Frisco Kid (edited 12/24/2010 6:05a).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.