Stereo Setup

953 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Col. Steve Austin
Lance Uppercut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wasn't sure if this was the right place for this topic....but I'm looking to set up a stereo for playing music in a bedroom (and preferably getting a surround sound experience while doing so). Does anyone have any suggestions of where to start/what to buy? Budget choices aren't required, but would be appreciated.
agdoc2001
AG
Need more info - what is your planned source for the music? Records, CDs, cell phone? Do you already have a TV in the bedroom that would use the same speakers? Budget? How "visible" are you willing to have the components be? Do you plan to play anything but "Smooth Operator" by Sade during sexy time?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Lance Uppercut
AG
-No TV. Strictly for music
-Visibility is fine
-Not looking to break the bank.
-Physical media usage preferred, but primary requirement being able to play off of Bluetooth/phone/internet
-Mainly trying to greatly enhance someone's ability to rock
FtWorthHorn
If it's for music, the simplest answer is going to be a decent pair of speakers and an amplifier of some sort. For the needs you laid out, you might consider a bluetooth-enabled amplifier. Something like this:

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-2.1BT2-100W-2.1-Class-D-Bluetooth-Amplifier-with-Sub-Frequency-Adjustment-300-3831?quantity=1

That would let you have Bluetooth plus inputs for up to two other sources. Add a decent pair of speakers and you're good. Expansion from there is likely adding a subwoofer.

The surround sound experience is generally applicable for movies much more than music, and I'd spent money on the L/R speakers first.
tfunk02
AG
Relevant.

Maybe up your speakers if you can afford it, but I'd start with that amp. Music is primarily stereo. I wouldn't worry about surround for just music.
aezmvp
The other perfectly acceptable option is start with two Sonos speakers (or the bar) and then add from there gradually.
SF2004
AG
tfunk02 said:

Relevant.

Maybe up your speakers if you can afford it, but I'd start with that amp. Music is primarily stereo. I wouldn't worry about surround for just music.
/EOT

What a great video.
Caesar4
AG
Yep. I'd consider a Sonos Roam.
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/roam

You can add more speakers gradually and end up with a whole-house/garden sound system. If you get the Sonos Beam, you can connect that to your TV and then send the audio from the Beam to every Sonos speaker in the house.

So…if you're following a game, then you can roam around the house and keep track.
agdoc2001
AG
The Sonos Era 100 is a great option, but the SVS prime wireless is really great as well. I use the SVS as my computer speakers.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YouBet
AG
I've pretty much gone all Sonos at this point. It's just too easy.

I do still have my Klipsch 5.1 system in the closet which is superior for movies, but we no longer have a true, dedicated media room.
EclipseAg
AG
I have an old-school Sonos setup (Sonos S1), both inside and out. Had it for years; I guess I was an early adopter.

Is it worth upgrading to S2? I looked into getting a Roam last year, then realized it wasn't compatible with my current setup, and didn't want to go through the hassle of starting over. But now I'm reconsidering.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
YouBet said:

I've pretty much gone all Sonos at this point. It's just too easy.

I do still have my Klipsch 5.1 system in the closet which is superior for movies, but we no longer have a true, dedicated media room.
You watch movies in the closet? Maybe it's time to come out into the light.
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.