Android Web Filter?

1,001 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agracer
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Son broke his iPhone so I'm letting him use an old Android phone (which amazingly still works and every app works.are you listening Apple!).

He said rather than get another iPhone, he was fine with a used or cheap android phone (he was using watch WatchESPN). His iPhone was a 4S but he'd done all the software updates and it was very slow.

Then I remembered Android has no built in web filter like iOS (yeah, maybe that's why he wants an Android phone, but more than likely he is sick of his old slow iPhone).

Can anyone recommend a good Android web filter? I've looked on google but the reviews are very mixed. Some are just browsers which can be bypassed by using the Android built in browser. Others seem like they can be defeated pretty easily.

Anyone have a teenager on an Android device with an effective web filter?
agracer
AG
no one?
Wildmen03
AG

Quote:

(which amazingly still works and every app works.are you listening Apple!).

I have an iPhone 3g that still works and all of the apps work on it too.
agracer
AG
Wildmen03 said:

Quote:

(which amazingly still works and every app works.are you listening Apple!).

I have an iPhone 3g that still works and all of the apps work on it too.
oh, my old iPad works, but it's barely functional at this point. And I'm going to call BS on some of those apps on the 3g still working. I know that WatchESPN will only work on the more recent versions of iOS, same with FaceTime.
Wildmen03
AG
I'm not saying it's loaded to the gills but every app on there still works.
agracer
AG
So I kind of found a work around.

I can set up the phone as an admin under my Gmail address, not sync anything (contacts, mail, etc.), and enable safe browsing.

Then set up a 2nd account on the phone for his e-mail, contacts, etc. and create a guest account and allow him access to all the apps on the phone except the play store (so he can't DL another browser). This will still sync his e-mail, contacts, etc. under the guest user, but and all my safe settings on the admin account will be in effect.

Only problem is he cannot swipe down the quick access tool or get to any settings to log in Bluetooth (he has a speaker he likes to play music on) or any wi-fi I don't set up on the admin account. So far that's the biggest drawback.

There are some safe browsers out there, but they can be bypassed by simply using the default browser which I cannot seem to find a way to disable or delete off the phone. Also not sure how to disable or require a passcode to DL new apps on the play store (only found a pass code for purchases).

Got to hand it to Apple here, they certainly got this right for managing your kids safety. Still can't believe google has no good methods for filtering web content on their stock OS.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.