Which Game Console for my Kids

1,840 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Azariah
Darby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Want to buy a new game console for Christmas for my 2 sons, ages 10 & 8

We currently have an old PS3 first edition
They also have a Wii but rarely play it

Never had an Xbox

Considering the PS4 or newest Xbox

They play mostly sports games, car racing games and action adventure stuff. We dont do the graphic first person shooter games.

Any reccos appreciated
hunter2012
AG
Tomdoss92
AG
I play all my single player games that are non-exclusive on the PS4.
all multiplayer and $soft exclusives on the xbox one.

I've always like xbox live better than PS version, but like the PS4 better hardware wise.

If they will not play online for a few years, I'd recommend PS4.

if they/you will play online with friends a bunch then xbox unless said friend are majority PS4.
FatZilla
AG
Non-shooter, get the new PS4 thats coming(or out already, i forget). It will be good for many years and be VR ready.
MGS
I'd get an Xbox One and an EA Access subscription. If they're 8 and 10, they don't care if they're playing last year's version the EA sports games.
Azariah
AG
Xbox Live has been rated the best and easiest to use online service.

Microsoft owns Minecraft.

The Forza driving games are exclusive to MS, and are incredible. I think there are PS exclusive driving games too, so check them out.

PS4 has more horsepower, although I think the new OneS has narrowed that gap slightly.

Find out if their friends are already one something. That's probably the best indicator of what you should buy.
MaroonStain
AG
PS4 has outsold XBone 2:1 this year.
NewOldAg
AG
Azariah said:

Find out if their friends are already one something. That's probably the best indicator of what you should buy.

Playing with friends is probably more important to the kids than anything about graphics or games. I'd ask friends parents or let the kids do their own research.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
MaroonStain said:

PS4 has outsold XBone 2:1 this year.

It just means that there's a lot of a clueless people out there.
daltonhughes66
Hey I'm looking to sell my PS4 if you'd be interested. I have most of the new sports games that are out to sell with it!
agdoc2001
AG
The answer to this question is always the same. Get them whatever their friends have. The PS4 and Xbox One are both excellent consoles and are similar enough in most regards. They will get the most enjoyment from whichever of the 2 allows them to trade games with and play online with their friends.

Now is a great time to buy because the PS4 just released the Pro Version and Xbox just released the The Xbox One S. This means that the original models are selling very cheaply. If you want to buy used, many on this forum would gladly sell you their old systems. If you want a new one, there are going to be some great deals on Black Friday.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CrottyKid
AG
We have multiple adolescent sons. I think I am about to scrap the single console experiment. My kids fight over whose turn it is and who has played longer. They try to "help" each other during gameplay by offering unsolicited advice which just makes the player upset and angry. Regardless of the rules and regulations we place on gameplay, it generally devolves into some kind of angry discussion.

I don't want to outlaw video games altogether because I know how much fun they are and how they are really important topics of social conversations of preteen kids.
I am leaning toward several personal laptops or handheld gaming systems.
AggieKO
AG
Ps4
Trev
AG
XBox
Pman17
AG
Xbox One Minecraft Bundle
Tabasco
AG
daltonhughes66 said:

Hey I'm looking to sell my PS4 if you'd be interested. I have most of the new sports games that are out to sell with it!

I might buy it. I donate a game system/games to a CPS emergency shelter every year (Kidz Harbor in Liverpool Texas). They have 400 children/adolescents that go through there every year, many pulled out of their home due to physical abuse, sexual abuse, & severe neglect. I usually get new just because it is more accessible, but used is great because I could get more games. They are in the country outside of Alvin, Texas, so you can imagine they don't have much to do there.

Due to CPS rules, they can only have E and teen rated games. I will buy all those too. Year doesn't matter, they just need something to play.

If anyone else has games/systems, Xbox or PlayStation, I am down for buying them to give to this shelter.
Azariah
AG
CrottyKid said:

We have multiple adolescent sons. I think I am about to scrap the single console experiment. My kids fight over whose turn it is and who has played longer. They try to "help" each other during gameplay by offering unsolicited advice which just makes the player upset and angry. Regardless of the rules and regulations we place on gameplay, it generally devolves into some kind of angry discussion.

I don't want to outlaw video games altogether because I know how much fun they are and how they are really important topics of social conversations of preteen kids.
I am leaning toward several personal laptops or handheld gaming systems.

Buy a second console. They're cheap.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.