Cloud/syncing software

1,926 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jagouar1
phatbeast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I've been using OneDrive for a while, to keep my files backed up and synced across a few different computers. It used to work really well, but the changes they've made to it over the last few years have really diminished its usefulness. In addition to getting rid of the selective folder syncing (i.e., forcing you to put anything you want synced into the OneDrive folder), they seem to have reduced the frequency of syncs. By contrast, Dropbox (which I use for some work-related collaborations) seems to sync almost instantaneously when I make changes to files. For that reason, I was thinking about making the switch and paying for a Dropbox account instead.

But before I did, I thought I'd see whether anyone had any strong feelings on this kind of stuff. Any suggestions on a favorite syncing (cloud based or otherwise) software? One note: anything bit torrent related (e.g., Resilio) won't work for me, as BT transfers are blocked at work.

Thanks!

kb2001
AG
Use your aggienetwork email account. It's on Google Apps and we get unlimited storage

Stasco
AG
kb2001 said:

Use your aggienetwork email account. It's on Google Apps and we get unlimited storage

This.
AggieJason
AG
I pay for 1TB of Dropbox storage. I use it on all my devices. I couldn't be happier. No gimmicks like OneDrive.
aggieforester05
AG
Dropbox works great for me.

The main reason I don't use the aggienetwork deal is that I'm already deeply entrenched in the Google sphere and the aggie network storage does not play with my long-term primary e-mail address.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Dropbox works great for me.

The main reason I don't use the aggienetwork deal is that I'm already deeply entrenched in the Google sphere and the aggie network storage does not play with my long-term primary e-mail address.

Doesn't matter. Just log your Google drive into the aggienetwork account and don't use it for anything else. I use mine for just that purpose and have my custom Google apps email for everything else and there are no hiccups at all. Saves me $10 a month on Dropbox premium and syncs the exact same way.
phatbeast
AG
Didn't know about this. I'll check it out. Thanks!
Vernada
AG
I really like Dropbox and have been premium for years. However, Office 365 includes 1TB one drive for $100/year... And that can be given to multiple people - each getting 1TB of one drive (in addition to MS Office).

Because of that I have been transitioning everything to one drive.
Vernada
AG
Quote:

getting rid of the selective folder syncing (i.e., forcing you to put anything you want synced into the OneDrive folder),

I can selective sync. Just right click the OneDrive icon in the systems tray and go to settings.
Al Bula
AG
I recently switched from Google Drive to OneDrive for Office 365 and the space. Office 365 is way more robust than Google Docs, so I don't mind paying $99/year for the Office apps, 1TB of strorage and docs synced in the cloud. I have recently come to LOVE OneNote. If I ever use more than 1TB, cloud will be even cheaper by the time I need it.

I'm slowing transitioning things all the way out of Google. Gmail is still a better interface than Outlook.com, but i rarely need a desktop interface for personal email. The only Google product I think has a true edge over MS is in the photo hosting area, but OneDrive photos isn't too bad.

That was a bit of a rant, but all the other things which comes with O365 made OneDrive a lot more attractive than any other hosting service but to each, their own.
Vernada
AG
Good point on one note- I was a die hard Evernote premium user. But they've gradually gotten more stingy with their offerings and have spent quite a while wondering the desert trying to figure out what they want to be.

OneNote is just another benefit of the $99/yr.
phatbeast
AG
Vernada said:

Quote:

getting rid of the selective folder syncing (i.e., forcing you to put anything you want synced into the OneDrive folder),

I can selective sync. Just right click the OneDrive icon in the systems tray and go to settings.
I shouldn't have said "selective sync." I can certainly do that. What I meant was syncing while maintaining the existing file structure. So as it is now, if I have C:\Stuff and C:\Things, I'd need to move both the Stuff and Things folders to my OneDrive folder. With Live Mesh, you could just select those in that position, and then sync them to a different computer in whatever location you wanted. As it is now, you can only do that using symbolic links, which have given me some trouble in the past.

However, unlimited Google Drive is working out nicely so far!
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Vernada said:

Quote:

NM
jagouar1
AG
phatbeast said:

Vernada said:

Quote:

I shouldn't have said "selective sync." I can certainly do that. What I meant was syncing while maintaining the existing file structure. So as it is now, if I have C:\Stuff and C:\Things, I'd need to move both the Stuff and Things folders to my OneDrive folder. With Live Mesh, you could just select those in that position, and then sync them to a different computer in whatever location you wanted. As it is now, you can only do that using symbolic links, which have given me some trouble in the past.

However, unlimited Google Drive is working out nicely so far!
Google Drive works the same way doesn't it?

If that is what you wanted to do something like syncplicity would fit the bill better.

I'm personally using amazon drive these days.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.