iPhone 6 GSM and CDMA compatible

1,414 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by UmustBKidding
The Pilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How do I know if my phone is CDMA compatible? Are newer iphones compatible on both networks?
VonDownByTheRiver
All iphones work on all networks since the 6.
The Pilot
AG
thanks
tamusc
AG
VonDownByTheRiver said:

All iphones work on all networks since the 6.
Not true with the 7 and 7 Plus, I believe. If you bought the AT&T/T-Mobile versions, they only work on GSM, but the Verizon/Sprint versions will work on all US carriers. This is a change from the last few generations.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/08/att-and-tmobile-iphone-7-models-lack-cdma/

If you're buying one unlocked through Apple, buy the Verizon/Sprint version so you can use any carrier.

edit again - Looks like Apple has the SIM-free version on their site now. This one is the same model as the Verizon/Sprint versions and doesn't require any carrier verification for purchase.
VonDownByTheRiver
Good call, must be a change with the 7.
tamusc
AG
VonDownByTheRiver said:

Good call, must be a change with the 7.
It was, as the 6 and 6S supported all carriers.

Sounds like whatever the next version of the iPhone after the 7 is might be back to a single model for all carriers again.
UmustBKidding
Actually the Sprint & Verizon phones work on all networks (Qualcomm chipset) but they would not get right on the price so Apple went to Intel for phones that don't need to support ancient IS-95 & CDMA-2000 standards. I doubt they will go back to having a sole source for their baseband implementation. We will see after the Qualcomm/NXP merger happens but don't bet on a universal platform, but as legacy cdma is migrated out of networks it may be come a non issue.
tamusc
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Actually the Sprint & Verizon phones work on all networks (Qualcomm chipset) but they would not get right on the price so Apple went to Intel for phones that don't need to support ancient IS-95 & CDMA-2000 standards. I doubt they will go back to having a sole source for their baseband implementation. We will see after the Qualcomm/NXP merger happens but don't bet on a universal platform, but as legacy cdma is migrated out of networks it may be come a non issue.

Very true on all counts (though there was a rumor that Intel would be able to support CDMA on the next platform). I'm hoping we'll be done with the archaic CDMA networks altogether in the next few years.
UmustBKidding
Have a friend at ericsson in the group that supports sprints core switching and ran and he no only has to support legacy CDMA but still some iden and interoperability GSM and he says he might as well live in hell. I recently got a notice from att that they wonthink continue to service a GSM modem embedded in an alarm here. At least is136 tdma is gone.
It's sad that some 3rd world countries have better cellular system than the US because they have no legacy baggage.
tamusc
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Have a friend at ericsson in the group that supports sprints core switching and ran and he no only has to support legacy CDMA but still some iden and interoperability GSM and he says he might as well live in hell. I recently got a notice from att that they wonthink continue to service a GSM modem embedded in an alarm here. At least is136 tdma is gone.
It's sad that some 3rd world countries have better cellular system than the US because they have no legacy baggage.
Yeah, you're really not kidding. While many might not like Apple and other vendors dropping legacy hardware and software support, if you don't, you end up with exactly the mess we're in.
UmustBKidding
Another reason you want a Iphone 7 from one of the CDMA carriers (VZW or Sprint in USA)
http://cellularinsights.com/iphone7/

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.