Recommendations on going completely wireless

1,044 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggieforester05
P.H. Dexippus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in Houston and just purchased a property that doesn't have coax. I would just assume not rekindle a relationship with ATT or Comcast. What is the best bet for streaming content to a smart TV and not blowing the budget? Tethering? Mobile Hotspot? WISP? Clear 4g sounds great but is slow.
pnut02
AG
I would go WISP over LTE/Hotspot, if available
aggieforester05
AG
WISP over the alternatives listed. Honestly unless there is a really strong WISP available your best bet is to use the cable services internet and then stream to TVs. Many WISP and basically all mobile solutions are going to have crappy data limits and much slower service. Although you might check to see if there is any decent DSL or fiber services in your area. I do all streaming from a 100mbps cable internet connection and we're using 500 gb + a month of data and that's with no more than two tvs streaming at once.
TX scallywAG
AG
This is an oddly worded post.... Doesn't have coax ran within the wall isn't same as needing to ditch standard ISPs. Sounds like your looking to go wireless for your LAN and your ISP... both?

Residential WISP is primarily popular in rural area where an ISP hasn't invested in running cable (either fiber or copper). Because of this, you often pay more for less.

In Houston, your best bang for your buck will be cable companies, not even sure if there are residential WISP companies in Houston proper.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
aggieforester05
AG
If you do end up getting cable internet I highly recommend making the streaming only jump, you'll never look back. Just supplement it with an HD antenna and there's almost nothing that you'll miss out on. Your selection on a day to day basis will be so much better if you have a comprehensive streaming package.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.