Elon Musk revealing SpaceX plans to colonize Mars

2,073 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by titanmaster_race
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Live feed:

Just tuned in. Elon's speaking is painful to watch so far....moreso than normal.
hph6203
AG
The Burning Man Toilet question.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I've seen better presentation skills from senior design projects...

That said, it's an intriguing concept, but I'm more than a bit skeptical. I'm not an aero, what are the odds of a glass nose on this thing?
VonDownByTheRiver
Elon's voice is what flop sweat would sound like if it made a noise.
wee_ag
AG
OK - this video is pretty cool. But was that a hint of terraforming Mars at the end?

RangerRick9211
AG
More renders of the Falcon Heavy.

Wake me up when it's actually built and successfully launched.
titanmaster_race
Boeing released their plans yesterday, which I believe are a bit more realistic than SpaceX's:

VonDownByTheRiver
quote:
OK - this video is pretty cool. But was that a hint of terraforming Mars at the end?

If you'd watched the presser, terraformation is a key element of their plan.
wee_ag
AG
Yeah - I didn't get a chance to watch the presser. Very cool.

Also, this is big.

double aught
AG
Exciting stuff.
titanmaster_race
Judging from their performance on ISS contracts, you can add at least 50% to their expected timeline. Probaby more if the brunt of their workforce continues to be overworked, underpaid recent graduates who don't stick around.

I.e. expected first launch of this rocket in 2025 = actual launch in 2030ish.
titanmaster_race
That being said, they are doing and planning phenomenal things, and SpaceX success can only help the space exploration industry.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Yep. Musk and SpaceX aren't perfect, but they're the ones pushing the envelope. I would love to work there (I've always wanted to work in spaceflight), but I enjoy having a life outside of work.

I'm a little concerned about the 48 Raptor engines on one stage. That is a ****load of parts that have to work in perfect symphony EVERY TIME or you're going kaboom. It's more aggressive than the Soviet N-1, and we all know how that one turned out...
TriAg2010
AG
quote:
I'm a little concerned about the 48 Raptor engines on one stage. That is a ****load of parts that have to work in perfect symphony EVERY TIME or you're going kaboom. It's more aggressive than the Soviet N-1, and we all know how that one turned out...

I thought the same, but maybe it's not so crazy. If I recall my engineering statistics right, the predicted reliability for a system working in parallel is:

P(system_reliability) = P(component_reliability)^Number of components

I believe that the risk tolerance for spaceflight is something like 99% reliability of no catastrophic failure. Note: commercial air travel is like 99.999%. So, if SpaceX can tolerate a 1% chance of catastrophic engine failure, then the individual engine reliability needs to be:

P(component_reliability = (0.99)^(1/48) = 0.9979

I don't think 99.79% reliability is too crazy. The much more complex Space Shuttle Main Engine demonstrated 99.75% operational reliability and zero catastrophic failures. SpaceX is getting tons of operating data thanks to their 9 engine configuration on the Falcon 9 and they tend to use relatively low chamber pressures in their first stage engines. This gives them a good chance to observe out-of-design conditions and perform an orderly shutdown before an engine fails catastrophically.

The vision itself is one of those things that would be categorically insane 10 years ago, but now seems faintly achievable given their progress in the last 10 years. I fully expect it will evolve in form/function and take longer than expected today. But, sometimes you achieve way more by staking an ambitious vision than just trying something incremental like Boeing's vision.
dave99ag
AG
Pretty fascinating stuff and glad to see any form of movement to Mars within my lifetime.

I liked his analogy to Union Pacific. SpaceX will get you to Mars, you have to figure out what to do when you get there.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
quote:

I don't think 99.79% reliability is too crazy. The much more complex Space Shuttle Main Engine demonstrated 99.75% operational reliability and zero catastrophic failures. SpaceX is getting tons of operating data thanks to their 9 engine configuration on the Falcon 9 and they tend to use relatively low chamber pressures in their first stage engines. This gives them a good chance to observe out-of-design conditions and perform an orderly shutdown before an engine fails catastrophically.

I can't remember exactly, but I think the Raptor is using much higher chamber pressures than the Merlin. That's how they're getting more efficiency out of it. Don't really know how much of the data from the Merlin they can use here.
titanmaster_race
Valid point, but the Russians were also known for very poor manufacturing quality. It would seem that SpaceX has figured out engine production.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.