Streaming WatchESPN from iPhone to TV

17,587 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CCAg95
hurricanejake02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trying to come up with a better way to watch the games while at the hunting camp. Can access via WatchESPN, but we don't have a wifi network, so Google Cast, Airplay, etc... are out.

I'm worried about DRM issues trying to use an adapter like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Digital-Adapter-MD826AM/dp/B009WHV3BM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474987864&sr=8-1&keywords=iphone+lightning+to+hdmi

Anyone have any experience with a wired adapter and WatchESPN? Any other suggestions?
redd38
AG
I don't have an iPhone, so not sure if this is possible, but can you setup the iPhone as a wifi hotspot?
hurricanejake02
AG
I think the issue there would be getting the iPhone and the device to both be on the wifi network - would the phone actually show up as being a device on wifi?
redd38
AG
Hmm, not sure about that. But you can get a Roku or Apple TV or something like that and either get a wired version, or get a wireless version and make your phone a wifi hotspot. Then it doesn't matter if phone and tv are on the same network.
AggieFrog
AG
Now that DirectTV/AT&T Wireless customers can stream unlimited video via the DirecTV app I'm planning to do the same. Plan to use a SlimPort adapter for my Android phone but you should be able to do the same from your iPhone with the HDMI adapter to mirror the screen.
txaggie_08
AG
Is it possible to stream WatchESPN from your iPhone to TV through the Lightning/HDMI Converter from Apple?

With this?
hurricanejake02
AG
That's the question I was asking - are there DRM issues tied to using that device to send the WatchESPN signal to your TV?
AggieBQ95
AG
I've used that exact cable to stream a basketball game to a TV while tailgating for an Aggie Baseball game. We had no issues. Obviously you will use a ton of data, but my wife's personal phone has unlimited data, so I wasn't worried. We powered the TV from a power inverter similar to this one. I was planning to use my chromecast, but I wasn't confident in being able to get my wife's iphone to act as a hub and that working successfully, so I bought the cable as 20-30 people were going to be there and were wanting to be able to watch the game.
hurricanejake02
AG
Thanks!
Shaggie 05
AG
That's how we've been streaming non-antenna games at our tailgates the last couple years. Works perfectly fine - if it can show up on your phone it will show up using that. Much easier than setting up and dialing in the satellite we used to use.

Also worked in an app dev shop for several years, used that adapter almost daily, which is where I got the idea. Now carry a zip tied bundle with an adapter for every phone type in case someone is having trouble with signals.
txaggie_08
AG
I borrowed a co-worker's lightning/HDMI converter last night, and it worked for WatchESPN. Good news for my tailgate.
aTm2004
AG
txaggie_08 said:

Is it possible to stream WatchESPN from your iPhone to TV through the Lightning/HDMI Converter from Apple?

With this?

Yes. We did this last year when we realized we left the power cord to our satellite receiver at the house (takes a special cord). We just hooked up my phone to the TV with this and watched in HD. Complete game took about 8 gigs.
txaggie_08
AG
aTm2004 said:

Complete game took about 8 gigs.
8 gigs..... I sure hope I can pick up Kyle Field wifi
AggieFrog
AG
txaggie_08 said:

aTm2004 said:

Have DirecTV & AT&T?
txaggie_08
AG
Nope, Xfinity and Verizon
aTm2004
AG
AggieFrog said:

txaggie_08 said:

aTm2004 said:

Have DirecTV & AT&T?

Or are grandfathered into unlimited. I could drop my bill $10/Mo since I have DTV, but I'm considering dropping it soon and don't want to have unlimited tied to anything.
CCAg95
AG
This works great for watchespn or pretty much any app EXCEPT for the DirecTv app. From my own testing and scouring internet forums this is specifically blocked by the app so you can't use the free streaming for this purpose.
AggieFrog
AG
CCAg95 said:

This works great for watchespn or pretty much any app EXCEPT for the DirecTv app. From my own testing and scouring internet forums this is specifically blocked by the app so you can't use the free streaming for this purpose.

iOS or Android? Works fine on Android in my testing.
CCAg95
AG
iOS. Maybe its time to switch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.