Alexa, Dot & Smart Bulbs

3,107 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ExPLK
aezmvp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking at doing the dot with the Phillips Hue Starter kit and then expanding the bulbs throughout the house. Does anyone have experience with the Hue system? Pro's/Cons over doing a SmartThings hub? I'd prefer the Alexa and have Siri (for the rib) for voice control but would prefer not to have to spend $2000 fitting out the whole house and be able to fill in possibly with some Cree or GE bulbs (or other I really haven't looked into the Lifx or other competitor bulbs).

Suggestions? Anyone have experience here? Eventually I'd like to geofence and add some other smart home things but not until we move next year.
Pman17
AG
I have a two Echos in my house. One Dot in my room and the big one in my kitchen. Two months ago I bought the Hue lights kit and Smartthings for security and have been using them since then. The smart things is cool but I haven't had a whole lot of time to mess around with it. The reason I bought it is its the only DYI security system you can modify and use just about any Z-wave product and it works with almost everything out here. Smartthings is cool but it's still limited on what I want it to do. I rely a lot on the IF automation app. The home automation thing is still in its infancy. If you have time to do a lot of research, then look into Smartthings and see if it can do what you want it to do. It may require some messing around with code to get the devices you want. I have a key pad attached to it, but the issue I have is Smartthings doesn't officially support keypads and I have to rely on custom software and that software may have stopped getting updates from its developer. So whenever I set the alarm, it still goes off when I open the door even though I set a time delay because it's conflicting with Samsungs Smartthings Security app. So you have to know what you are doing with Smartthings or it can be a headache.

Hue on the other hand is awesome! Though with my roommate, I have trouble getting him into this tech era so he turns off the light switch and I can't control the lights or they wont automate when we are away. I need to put some tape over those switches. Hue does have it's automated switches but I can't really modify this house I'm renting. The reason I really like Hue vs all the other brands is it has Apple Home Kit so I can just swipe up on my phone and I can control my lights in the iPhone dash. It works well with Amazon Echo because Phillips and Amazon are partnered in this home automation endeavor. Amazon has that frustration free packaging with Hue and buying the bulb packs means it's cheaper than just buying them at Best Buy. I believe that the Hue second generation and up lights wont go obsolete for a long time so these babys will last. I recommend buying the color starter kit first since those are fun to play with and they do everything when it comes to color. Then just slowly buying the bulbs like the white ones and the colored ones. The colored ones are really expensive but the white ones aren't that bad at just $15 a bulb. They're LED anyways so they're gonna last you for 10 years. Haven't been doing it lately but I plan to just buy a pack of bulbs every paycheck. The Hue app is crap but the lights work with everything so I just use the IF app to automate those. Alexa sometimes has a difficult time finding the lights whenever I command her to turn on the kitchen lights. So you will have some hiccups and it's always faster to just flick the switch, but hue lights are a good peace of mind when you're not at home during the night.

Overall, Home Automation is still in its infancy. Smartthings requires the tech smarts so you be the judge on getting that. Hue is awesome though their app sucks and there isn't a whole variety of bulbs ( I want flood lights!). Amazon Echo is cool though she sometimes complains to me she can't find the Hue bulbs and she finally finds them after the third try when I could have already switch the light switch up twice to trigger the bulbs. Yea, still in its infancy but get the bulbs an echo for starters.
agnerd
AG
Personal opinion so take it or leave it:
Wait til you move.
Personally I don't want anything to do with smart bulbs. I want control at the switch with a smart switch. I'm replacing all my switches so that I can turn all the lights off or on and am not relying on the switch being flipped on that the bulbs require. Then I can still use regular bulbs. Also allows you to retain full manual control of the lights. I want to have control of all the lights regardless of which switches someone has flipped on or off. Just something to consider.
Olag00
AG
I agree with above. I have replaced all my switches with Zwave switches and I have a few Hue light bulbs. It is annoying when someone turns the switch off without you realizing and then try to control the Hue bulb with the app or voice. Another drawback I have seen is if your power goes out either during the middle of night or while you are at work, the hue bulbs turn on full brightness (if the physical switch is in the 'on' position, if the switch is off, then it wont come back on).

I overcame the manual switch being turned off by programming an event to turn the switch back on if it was turned off, then send a command to turn Hue bulb off. This way the switch always gets put back into the on position.

aezmvp
quote:
I agree with above. I have replaced all my switches with Zwave switches and I have a few Hue light bulbs. It is annoying when someone turns the switch off without you realizing and then try to control the Hue bulb with the app or voice. Another drawback I have seen is if your power goes out either during the middle of night or while you are at work, the hue bulbs turn on full brightness (if the physical switch is in the 'on' position, if the switch is off, then it wont come back on).

I overcame the manual switch being turned off by programming an event to turn the switch back on if it was turned off, then send a command to turn Hue bulb off. This way the switch always gets put back into the on position.

That's pretty nifty.

I think I'm going to start with a few right now and maybe add a Bloom for bias lighting behind my main TV (and holiday accent colors). Because of the move I'm certain that to skip adding the Lightstrip as kick lighting in the bathrooms and kitchen (young kids, it's a plus) with some battery operated cheap LED's to upgrade the look of the house.
VonDownByTheRiver
quote:
Personal opinion so take it or leave it:
Wait til you move.
Personally I don't want anything to do with smart bulbs. I want control at the switch with a smart switch. I'm replacing all my switches so that I can turn all the lights off or on and am not relying on the switch being flipped on that the bulbs require. Then I can still use regular bulbs. Also allows you to retain full manual control of the lights. I want to have control of all the lights regardless of which switches someone has flipped on or off. Just something to consider.
It really depends. If it's a standing lamp (desk/floor), bulb is perfectly fine. You just leave the lamp turned to "on" all the time.

If it's a fixture, you definitely want a smart switch, preferably a dimmer.
Pman17
AG
Light strips are cool. Hue are really expensive but I got some $15 ones that go on the back of my TV. Looks awesome though they aren't a smart light.
ExPLK
AG

I have a Hue controlled by my Echo and Dots throughout my house. I originally thought it was going to be really expensive when pricing out the bulbs but as many of the above suggested, switches considerably decrease the cost of entry. Once I realized that it wasn't necessary to control each of my 5 canned lights in my kitchen, independently, I then began purchasing switches to control groups of lights.

Alexa does control the lights via voice activated but it is fairly limited. I would recommend using the Yonomi app, in addition to the Hue and the IF app. It affords you greater flexibility on what you can do with the lights via voice commands with the Echo.

aezmvp
I looked at that Yonomi app. I'm thinking of pairing it with a couple of the TP smart plugs for the TV and a Harmony Hub. That way I can voice control the TV as well. Now if Alexa could control the fire tv without the harmony.
Guitarsoup
AG
We only have a smart plug and it is in our living room. Lamp behind the couch is a pain to reach, so we can turn it on with our phones or by telling Alexa to turn it on.

Love the echo in general. Only thing I wish I could do is reorder the shopping list.
ExPLK
AG
Also check out Huemote. It is much better than the native hue app.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.