Anybody have experience switching from ATT to Sprint?

3,052 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Dr. Nefario
ANSC Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Overages eating me up with ATT 15GB mobile share. Also need to upgrade two phones. Going to ATT 25GB "unlimited" will run $250-300/mo.

Sprint has an unlimited for two phones including new phones for around $150-200/mo.

Is ATT coverage significantly better to justify the price difference?
Natasha Romanoff
Depends on where you live.

Out in the boonies, AT&T is far superior in my experience. In most cities (all the ones I've been in for sure) Sprint and AT&T are equal. I have Sprint personal and AT&T work so I usually can compare quite easily.
ANSC Ag
AG
I live rural but am usually close to most interstates.
UmustBKidding
Unless you are in a reasonable sized city sprint stinks. Look at sensorly or open signal to see if there is any hope of coverage. Att has throttled unlimited in most plans currently if you can survive slow. Cricket has unlimited on Att network but max 8mbs for $80.
Tmobile has same issues as sprint lots of areas with no coverage but has cheap unlimited plans
91AggieLawyer
AG
I was on Sprint from when PCS started until 2009 when I switched to AT*T -- mainly because Sprint was 2+ years behind at the time on phone availability. However, my concern was that I had received good call quality with Sprint and didn't want to lose it. Our only issue was my wife had problems at her work in a couple of different areas. I used that to help me get out of my Sprint contract a few months early. We did have some rural highway drops on occasion.

I can't think of any call quality problems I've had with AT*T that persisted. On a trip last summer across the southern US, I don't think we lost coverage at all -- or if we did, I didn't know it.
VikingNik
AG
You have a thirty day guarantee with Sprint so if it doesn't work you can go back. You would save tons if that is what you are paying for two lines. I can probably swing you a further discount if interested. #sprintemployee
ChiveOn
AG
I did it 2 years ago

I have an unlimited iPhone plan and as far I'm concerned it does the job ($60/month)

I did have a problem with signal strength in my office that was just fixed--their executive service team really did a great job

one drawback: sprint's network does not to talk & data at the same time that AT&T boasts
flintdragon
AG
Nothing to offer to this discussion other than "Damn, you guys use a LOT of data". Between my wife and I, our total bill is $50/mo on Project Fi.
Leeman
15GB is not enough ?
swood
AG
I'd also look at Cricket before switching to Sprint. They are owned by AT&T, use the full AT&T network, and can activate phones that are carrier locked to AT&T (including cheap GoPhones.) They recently added an unlimited tier to compete with T-Mobile One.

I have a work phone through Verizon, but everyone else in my family is on Cricket now. The progressive discounts as you add lines are nice for a family, and everyone has their own (potentially different) amount of data which avoids conflicts.

The only downsides I see are that downloads are capped at 8 Mbps (which hasn't been an issue for us) and that they don't roam outside North America. If you regularly travel outside of North America that is a deal breaker, but otherwise I think it is the best deal going.
ANSC Ag
AG
quote:
15GB is not enough ?

Not always. We do not have home Internet.
Forum Troll
AG
quote:
quote:
15GB is not enough ?

Not always. We do not have home Internet.
VikingNik
AG
ANSC, where abouts do you live? I can check our internal tools to see how service is near you.

I can get you unlimited 2 lines for $90. For tethering options there are extra add-ons above that.
ANSC Ag
AG
Waco DFW I35 corridor
VikingNik
AG
That's a little vague. Got an exit number off I-35 you are willing to share? Quite a few towers are upgraded to 2x Carrier Aggregation in Waco, a few in Hillsborough, then from Cleburne and Waxahachie north it is mostly all upgraded to our fastest offerings. Most of the other towers are 1900 LTE which is ok but not blazing fast and I can't see anything scheduled to add the fast 2500 bands to them. The LTE coverage is fairly narrow to I-35 in the vicinity of West (3-4 miles each side).

If you can temporarily leave up an email address I can send you a link/details for the deal.

Same goes for anyone considering switching.

lobwedgephil
Just keep your At&t plan but make it the ones with no overages.
aggolfer
AG
Viking - do you use any tools to stress test any of the eNBs/back haul before deploying?
VikingNik
AG
aggolfer - That belongs in a different group but my understanding is that we have standard backhaul sizing based on the number of carriers we have set up on the tower, likely also based on surrounding tower's historical traffic. If it is for 2CA or 3CA TDD it is all fiber and easily added to if more is required. Sprint has access to plenty of backhaul. Before a tower is turned on to the public the RF team does drive tests. Are you experiencing problems somewhere?
AgFB
AG
Just found this thread. Recently switched from AT&T to Sprint and we haven't been thrilled with the service. Calls sound very muffled and we miss texts from group texts a lot. Anyone make the switch recently?
AgFB
AG
Thanks. I'll look into them If I decide to unravel this Sprint deal.
Jasomania
AG
It might sweeten the deal since you don't have home Wi-Fi that with Sprint's Unlimited plan you also get 10 gb hot spot per line and HD video streaming included.
AgFB
AG
You might have been responding to someone else but I have home wifi.

At home I get 116 mbps when on wifi but around 1 mbps when I'm on the sprint network. Is that normal?
permabull
AG
AgFB
AG
Wife will never switch from her iphong. I'm not sure I'm willing either (ducks). Definitely interested in cricket.
jay040
You could consider Cricket Wireless if you're concerned about the Sprint coverage. We switched from ATT to Cricket 3 years ago and haven't looked back. It runs over the ATT network, and while it may be slightly slower, it's not noticeable. I stream Netflix on my phone while running at the gym. You can have unlimited everything for $55 a month.
AgFB
AG
Thanks. Going to call today and check on what kind of beating it will be to switch our two phones back over. Probably going to hit me with restocking fees and crap
permabull
AG
Dr. Nefario
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.