Odd Virus - Home WiFi

1,055 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bkag9824
bkag9824
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Weird adware that disappears from phones when you turn off wifi. Only shows up on home network, not in public or on other private networks, or when using cell data inside home. Has specifically given fits on TexAgs (changes photos, tweets, etc into ads in posts - understood that TA uses ads throughout the site [top/bottom banners on cell] based on search history & site advertisers, but have never seen this issue in body of posts, refreshes webpage if I try to star a post, doesn't go back a page if I swipe to go back, just refreshes page at current location. Pops up every once in a while on other websites, not near as frequently as here.

Haven't taken laptop out of home to test on another network, but is it possible the laptop is hosting a virus that is being spread/communicated via home wifi? Haven't run any scans yet as haven't had time, curious to hear thoughts though...
akaggie05
AG
Who is your ISP? Are you on a plan that advertises a lower rate based on targeted advertising?
Tailgate88
AG
If you have the default password set on your router, spyware might have logged in and changed it to use rogue DNS servers. Log in to the router and check if DNS servers are specified. If so change to OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 and 207.67.220.220 or Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
bkag9824
AG
Consolidated, and not that I'm aware of. Had them for 3 years w/o issue.

Tailgate - don't believe I left the default password on, will double check. Thanks for the tip.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.