Skipping TV commercials?

874 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jopatura
Caesar4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was looking for a device to automatically mute commercials, preferably to also darken the screen. I encountered this product which is not yet released. Apparently, they have a beta program starting soon. Seems to have other interesting features.

http://skipr.tv/

I wonder if a TV manufacturer, one that puts apps into the TV, e.g. Vizio, would be interested in this kind of technology. I get that TV advertising is related to TV manufacturing, but as far as I know, that link is only tenuous. If a TV offered the ability to mute commercials, I'd be highly motivated to choose that brand, all other things (size, cost, picture, etc) being roughly equivalent.
A&M Chopper
AG
Tivo has a commercial skip feature on recorded content.
PLUM LOCO
AG
quote:
Tivo has a commercial skip feature on recorded content.
On some stations.
jopatura
AG
I thought at one point there was FCC regulations about skipping commercials. Basically the consumer could choose to fast forward or edit commercials out of a DVD-R recording, but devices couldn't automatically do it for them. I vaguely seem to remember a lawsuit that some TV channels tried to wage against TiVO and DVR's when they first came to market to prevent the fast forward feature.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.