Talk me out of buying this TV

6,247 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by KidDoc
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I've been researching a new primary TV purchase and was planning to wait until the typical Superbowl sales come around but I have stumbled on what appears to be some very good deals that I am tempted to buy now.

This TV will be replacing my tried & true 60" DLP that we have had for at least 8 years. It will be in my media room with surround sound primarily used for football, movies, netflix, and PS4. From all I have been reading OLED seems to be the bomb as far as ultimate picture quality.

Here is the link to the deal:

65" LG OLED deal

Link for price history on this model.

A 65" LG OLED for $2379 with no taxes seems crazy good. Am I right or just itching to get a TV upgrade sooner to watch football on?

Also is there any value in extended warranties on these products? I cannot find any data on the webs.

Thanks!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Seven Costanza
AG
whoops, never mind. I didn't click on the link the first time I read it. I would only buy from Amazon or a big box retailer, and wouldn't trust anything that sits outside the price on Amazon for the same model.
txam92
AG
Be careful of that site. Known for bait and switch. Do a Google search on them.
VonDownByTheRiver
It's their poor man's OLED model, but if you're ok with that, go for it. I'm waiting another year or 2 for the poor man's version to be the $1000 norm.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
It's their poor man's OLED model, but if you're ok with that, go for it. I'm waiting another year or 2 for the poor man's version to be the $1000 norm.
Yeah I don't mind it being a poor man's OLED I don't want it as a status symbol just a great picture. SO what is the difference between this and more expensive ones? Apps? Speakers? Bevel?

I actually ended up ordering from a different website due to the poor reviews of the prior one linked.

http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/LG-OLED-HDTV-p/oled65b6p.htm?Click=7751&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0_O-BRCfjsCw25CYzYoBEiQAqO9BDF4gH4NjofWDYm1FOSSXL3nuMDpkn3GEj3iVvITv-qgaAlHC8P8HAQ
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
Well thus far this has been a hassle! Those first two websites are both scammy type sites where they try to upsale when you call to confirm and if you go the the cheaper model it will be > 28 days delivery (if at all IMO).

The guy on the phone was comical with the upsale. He was stating that the cheaper version is made in China and is an 8bit version while the newer version that they could get to me quickly for $500 more was a 10 bit version made in Mexico. They also wanted to have a check mailed to them instead of credit card to get the advertised price.

What a mess!

I tried the next listed price of $2779 (no tax no shipping) from a site called "biznable.com" which has lots of good reviews but time will tell.
Gigem314
AG
quote:
Yeah, same here. I'm waiting a few years until the prices come down and they work out the kinks.

The prior versions of the LG OLED's (9100, 9500, 9600) supposedly had some issues with banding and vignetting. Not necessarily a big deal as all tv's have a few quirks, but for $2-4k I most definitely want something that has more reliability and a good panel. Supposedly this newer line (like the B6) has fixed a lot of those issues.
VonDownByTheRiver
Only buy TVs online from Amazon, IMO, and in person from Frys or Costo if that's an option.

Dealing with these scummy sites isn't worth the time and hassle of saving a few bucks. If you can't afford the Amazon or Frys price, you can't afford the TV.
VonDownByTheRiver
And FYI, you liked to a TV that's usually in the $4500 range. The cheapest I've seen that model is $4000 in store at Frys, and of course you're adding in another $350 of tax on that. If a deal smells too good...
KidDoc
AG
quote:
And FYI, you liked to a TV that's usually in the $4500 range. The cheapest I've seen that model is $4000 in store at Frys, and of course you're adding in another $350 of tax on that. If a deal smells too good...
Yup it happens! I'll keep you guys up to date on this next website just for poops and giggles.

SF2004
AG
quote:
Well thus far this has been a hassle! Those first two websites are both scammy type sites where they try to upsale when you call to confirm and if you go the the cheaper model it will be > 28 days delivery (if at all IMO).

The guy on the phone was comical with the upsale. He was stating that the cheaper version is made in China and is an 8bit version while the newer version that they could get to me quickly for $500 more was a 10 bit version made in Mexico. They also wanted to have a check mailed to them instead of credit card to get the advertised price.

What a mess!

I tried the next listed price of $2779 (no tax no shipping) from a site called "biznable.com" which has lots of good reviews but time will tell.
Should have started with this. Huge red flag and screams scam.
KidDoc
AG
So Biznrate site was out of stock on the 2015 65" OLED, but to their credit they did not try to upsale or anything just canceled the order.

So I found a good one through an Amazon Marketplace seller for $2899. Let's see what happens this time!

https://smile.amazon.com/LG-65EF9500-Bundle-Microfiber-Protector/dp/B015RTOREI/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1474385686&sr=1-5&keywords=65%22+oled+tv

KidDoc
AG
quote:
So Biznrate site was out of stock on the 2015 65" OLED, but to their credit they did not try to upsale or anything just canceled the order.

So I found a good one through an Amazon Marketplace seller for $2899. Let's see what happens this time!

https://smile.amazon.com/LG-65EF9500-Bundle-Microfiber-Protector/dp/B015RTOREI/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1474385686&sr=1-5&keywords=65%22+oled+tv

Per amazon it is about to ship and AMEX emailed me about the charge so this one looks legit. Much better than the $4000 locally. No tax or shipping on this one either.
KidDoc
AG
They also called and said they are out of stock but they will send me a 2016 B6 Version for NO UPCHARGE, for the exact same price. Sticker price is $3999 on those TV"s so I'm pretty happy to get it for $2899. Supposed to arrive within a week.

Youtube review of the B6 line.
KidDoc
AG
TV came in today and it is great! My only issue is the way my media room closet is setup I cannot connect the audio out to my audio receiver so the smart TV functions are a bit worthless. I will be getting my 4k dish receiver Wednesday and that should take over the streaming functions and goes in the av closet so will use surround.
combat wombat™
AG
Don't do it. Don't buy that TV.
thaed137
AG
I like how you:

1) Posted don't buy it after he obviously bought it.

2) Provided no reasoning at all why not too.

KidDoc
AG
quote:
I like how you:

1) Posted don't buy it after he obviously bought it.

2) Provided no reasoning at all why not too.

I thought it was purdy funny!

TV seems pretty dang nice just need to get the support hardware to grab the 4k broadcasts.
combat wombat™
AG
He said, talk me out of buying that tv. He didn't say when or how.
combat wombat™
AG
quote:
He said, "talk me out of buying this tv". He didn't say when or how.
adamsbq06
AG
quote:
TV came in today and it is great! My only issue is the way my media room closet is setup I cannot connect the audio out to my audio receiver so the smart TV functions are a bit worthless. I will be getting my 4k dish receiver Wednesday and that should take over the streaming functions and goes in the av closet so will use surround.
Smart TV functions are worthless. Im my experience the manufacturer puts these on and only support them for about a year. If you want a Smart TV get Amazon FireTV, AppleTV or Ruku. These devices are constantly being upgraded and third parties can develop apps for them.
combat wombat™
AG
I freaking LOVE my Roku. I have two of them and a smart tv, Samsung. The smart tv is fine, but the Roku is so much better from an ease of use standpoint.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
quote:
Smart TV functions are worthless. Im my experience the manufacturer puts these on and only support them for about a year. If you want a Smart TV get Amazon FireTV, AppleTV or Ruku. These devices are constantly being upgraded and third parties can develop apps for them.
I'm gonna see how the upgraded Dish receiver is with smart functions. My dish is hardwired to my gigabit net so it should work well but ya never know.

I have chromecast but it can't handle 4k until the new version comes out in a week or two. I've been using my ps4 to stream and it does great but again doesn't have 4k streaming.

I agree smart TV stuff is usually filler but the remote is actually kinda cool you can use it as a pointer with a cursor on the screen.
hph6203
AG
While mostly true, LG's WebOS has been praised as one of the best integrations of smart features into a TV. The issue right now is that the experience he gets from Prime Video and Netflix should be noticeably better on the integrated apps than it would be on a FireTV, Roku or Apple TV as they do not support HDR (which this TV does).

Roku did just announce new streaming devices, some of which supports HDR content (October 9th release). The current iterations of all streaming devices other than the Nvidia Shield don't have the proper hardware to support HDR content.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
While mostly true, LG's WebOS has been praised as one of the best integrations of smart features into a TV. The issue right now is that the experience he gets from Prime Video and Netflix should be noticeably better on the integrated apps than it would be on a FireTV, Roku or Apple TV as they do not support HDR (which this TV does).

Roku did just announce new streaming devices, some of which supports HDR content (October 9th release). The current iterations of all streaming devices other than the Nvidia Shield don't have the proper hardware to support HDR content.
What's even worse is I have a Nvidia Shield but cannot find my dang mini HDMI cable haha.
adamsbq06
AG
quote:

WebOS is praised for now... but what happens in a year when they move on to the next version that isnt supported by old TVs. That's my chief complaint regarding smart TVs. Samsung tried the evolution kit to allow you to upgrade the "Smart functions" but it was too expensive to be a realistic option.

KidDoc
AG
This reminds of me of trying to upgrade computer components back in early 2000's.

So my audio receiver is not compliant with 4k technology so I bought a new one from Best Buy because it was the same price as amazon ($300 whee!). However it still seems that the cable that came with the house that runs from the media closet to the TV is too slow to handle 4k and I will need to run a new compliant cable. At least I can use the old cable as a guide I guess. Best Buy charges INSANE prices for long HDMI cables ($150+) so I ordered a 40 foot one off Amazon for $40. I may run an optical line at the same time in case I need to use the smart TV apps so it will still go through the surround sound.

What a joy being a tech dork...

KidDoc
AG
While playing with it at lunch I did figure out how to use the WebOS netflix stream and just connect to the Denon receiver via bluetooth! So no optical line needed and I don't need to be in a rush to install the new HDMI until Dish starts broadcasting more in 4k. Right now they only have 4k netflix (which I can get off the onboard app on the TV), video on demand, and they did the summer olympics in 4k. I still have the 4k HDMI cable on order to "future proof" just happy I at least got the netflix working with surround sound.
VonDownByTheRiver
quote:
If you were a tech dork, you'd have know about HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 before buying a TV.
adamsbq06
AG
quote:
This reminds of me of trying to upgrade computer components back in early 2000's.

So my audio receiver is not compliant with 4k technology so I bought a new one from Best Buy because it was the same price as amazon ($300 whee!). However it still seems that the cable that came with the house that runs from the media closet to the TV is too slow to handle 4k and I will need to run a new compliant cable. At least I can use the old cable as a guide I guess. Best Buy charges INSANE prices for long HDMI cables ($150+) so I ordered a 40 foot one off Amazon for $40. I may run an optical line at the same time in case I need to use the smart TV apps so it will still go through the surround sound.

You could also do 4K HDMI over ethernet... a bit easier to pull than HDMI
KidDoc
AG
quote:
quote:
If you were a tech dork, you'd have know about HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 before buying a TV.
Good point, more like a tech noob.
KidDoc
AG
OK so finally got it all settled and very happy with the upgrade. In addition to the TV ($2900) had to upgrade my dish hopper ($100 + $3 a month), upgrade my surround sound receiver ($300), and run a new HDMI cable ($40). It is sad that there are no broadcasts in 4k yet but the Netflix streaming is like looking through a window and Witcher 3 streamed from PC thru nvidia tablet in 4k is just stunning.

So cost a bit more and more hassle than I had hoped but I should be in good shape for the next decade.

Edit: The Netflix thru hopper 3 works great with the new cable and 5 GHz WiFi. Overall very happy with hopper 3 much nicer than the older hopper with better/faster apps,search, and menus.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.