Forza Horizon 3

7,532 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wee_ag
Pman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just played the demo and I am stoked! The graphics are sick on the Xbox One! I've got the ultimate edition pre-ordered. Thought I'd make a thread for this. Who's getting this? What's your platform preference (Xbox or PC) since this is Play Anywhere?

Can't wait to play this in HDR!

The Forza Horizon games are a social arcade style racing game. Who's played any of the Test Drive games? It's like that but better. Each game is based in a different location where you can explore and race in different events. This year it's Australia. With Xbox live, you can sync your friends drivatars which is an AI that mimics their driving habits and race them in events to get the best time. Or, you have to option to really go online and and race your friends in real time or just explore with them. Progression is simple, keep racing and earn credits to get new cars. Cars have customization such as tuning and cosmetics. Designs can be transferred from other Forza games so you don't lose all of that hard work on producing an A&M logo. Clubs are a cool feature where you can team up with friends like TexAgs and earn reputation to boost your club in the world leaderboard.

FYI Xbox Play Anywhere allows you to buy an Xbox game and get it on both platforms (Xbox and PC) without having to pay for each system. XPA allows cross saves so you can pick up where you left off from Xbox to PC or PC to Xbox. Power hungry? Then play the game the way it was meant to be run on the PC in true 4K. You can also play with your friend's between platforms (I'm sure there will be restrictions from mouse and keyboard for some games.) Chat with friends in party on the Xbox app for Windows 10.

Gamertags
Pman17 - Pman
Kampfers - Kampfers
Wee_ag - deathmullet76
Producers_96 - TomServaux96

Azariah
AG
What looks better about this than FH2? I loved that game much more than the track-based Forza, but I can't bring myself to buy the same game every year.
WES2006AG
AG
I really like the last Forza but I am not sure I am willing to grind it out in race after race just to earn in game money to buy cars.
SF2004
AG
Wait, will this get a full fledge PC release? Or is it play anywhere your Xbox can stream to?
Kampfers
AG
I'm definitely in. The Aggie club on FH2 got pretty massive (we didn't set it to private) and was pretty highly ranked for a while.

Played the demo last night and I'm stoked. Can't wait to see the big city.

The biggest reason I'm getting this is because of cross-buy, however. Being able to play this on my PC with a wheel will be very nice. Can't help but hope that VR support may be patched in down the line as well, which is pretty much my dream game in VR (a more sim-cade racer with beautiful graphics).
Kampfers
AG
quote:
Wait, will this get a full fledge PC release? Or is it play anywhere your Xbox can stream to?
It's cross buy - so full PC release, but buying it on PC gets you the digital xbox version too.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
I really like the last Forza but I am not sure I am willing to grind it out in race after race just to earn in game money to buy cars.
Can't speak to FH3 but in FH2 you earned credits very quickly, and most of the cars were fairly cheap. The only super expensive cars weren't even that fun to drive IMO (the C-A classes are where it's at in horizon, imo).

Even those weren't terribly expensive. If you don't already, get a forza rewards account and you get free money every now and then too (it used to be every month, but haven't checked and I know they overhauled the system for Forza 6).

You could also just go out to the airport in a super fast car and drift like a mofo back and forth down the runway until the end, then hook a 180 and drift all the way back. It was really easy to earn xp and credits by accruing massive skillchains back in FH2.

Personally I never found the races in FH2 to be much of a grind. There's far more variety in terms of cars and tracks than I ever really experimented with in the traditional Forza series. Since it's almost always something new, I didn't really start feeling the grind until I had already beaten the finale twice.

And that's with substantial online racing as well. The clubs were great. Me, Scottaperk, TonsterPS, and Xiuh had a ton of good races. Can't wait to dig in again.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
What looks better about this than FH2? I loved that game much more than the track-based Forza, but I can't bring myself to buy the same game every year.
New location, more varied environments, larger map, new cars, etc.

It's going to be very similar in appeal but it certainly seems new enough to justify the purchase. FH2 was probably my GOTY for 2014 (or at least runner-up to TF), though, so I'm likely a biased party as evidenced by my previous post.
Bregxit
AG
Any controller suggestions for something like this? Last racing game I played was on Playstation 1 and there were not all the fancy wheels and stuff.
Azariah
AG
I actually dislike the fancy wheels and such in favor of just an Xbox controller. Without the cockpit of a car around me it's just a ****tier experience to try and use a wheel.
Azariah
AG
quote:
quote:
And that's with substantial online racing as well. The clubs were great. Me, Scottaperk, Tonsterps, and Xiao had a ton of good races. Can't wait to dig in again.

This would interest me greatly. No one I know plays this type of game, so it's usually me against the computer until I get tired of it.
Pman17
AG
quote:
quote:
It's cross buy - so full PC release, but buying it on PC gets you the digital xbox version too.
Cross everything, you can play against PC and vise versa. Game saves transfer. It's Xbox giving more power to players so if you wanna play it in true 4K, the play it on PC. More friends to play with!

I knew they had something special in store when they announced Windows 10 coming to Xbox One for the first time.
OldArmy07
AG
The online play in FH2 was the most fun I've had in a racing game (echoing Kampfers comments above). FH3 looks to be more of the same fun.

Forza 6 is a great game, but online is full of cheesing and first turn crashes.
TonsterPS
AG
FINE. I'm in.
OldArmy07
AG
The real question is whether the Ultimate Edition is worth it or not. Bought that one for Forza 6 and was disappointed because I still had to buy DLC for it to get the new maps.
TonsterPS
AG
Standard @ $59 / Deluxe @ $79 / Ultimate @ $99

I don't know if $40 is justified...I mean, getting it 4 days earlier would be great, but in the end, I can probably wait. And the car packs would be nice, but again, once you start earning in game money to buy whatever car you want, it might not matter.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
Standard @ $59 / Deluxe @ $79 / Ultimate @ $99

I don't know if $40 is justified...I mean, getting it 4 days earlier would be great, but in the end, I can probably wait. And the car packs would be nice, but again, once you start earning in game money to buy whatever car you want, it might not matter.
IIRC the car packs are paid DLC, no? So it wouldn't just be a matter of buying whatever car, some of them might not be purchasable with in-game credits.
TexasAggie_02
AG
there's also this:

http://www.pcgamer.com/forza-horizon-3-system-requirements-detailed/

quote:
Halo's Warthog roadster will also be made available via a post-release event to be announced at a later date, according to a new blog post on the game's site (it'll be free-of-charge at launch for any players who've played Halo 5 and Halo: Master Chief Collection on Xbox One).
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-13-forza-horizon-3-confirmed-in-impressive-cross-platform-demo

quote:
It's an 'Xbox Play Anywhere' title, which means a single purchase price gets you both versions, with progress and achievements shared across the two. It also supports cross-platform play in its new, four-player campaign co-op mode.
Xiuh
I forgot when this came out. Looks pretty good. I also remember all the club races we did and the funny lag spikes where there would be a 12 car pileup haha. If the group is getting it again, I might just have to pick this up as well.
jagouar1
AG
Not that this is directly related but has anybody found a good "cheap" (not crazy expensive) gaming laptop for play anywhere.

When I am at home I will play on the xbox or via the streaming app but what I want is to be able to have something portable that could have enough power to play on the go. I do like the surface line but it doesn't have the power to run most games and the surfacebook is too expensive for the dedicated gpu.
Walter Kovacs
AG
Pre-ordered. I got bored with FM6 a looooooong time ago.
Kampfers
AG
Well it already glitches so I'm going to have to restart. ****ing impossible to Compete against these SUVs offroad in the starter car.

No way to buy other cars at this point either. I wish games wouldn't ****ing kneecap what you can do at the start. I don't need you to teach me this bull**** bit because you ****ed up and failed to award me the car I have to completely restart because I can't just go to the autoshow and buy one
Kampfers
AG
My recommendation would be to say **** liveries and use the default paint unless you want to risk it lagging out and then you not getting the car you were supposed to

Despite the fact that this car is not eligible for the events it keeps forcing me to use it
OldArmy07
AG
That sounds painful.

I have the game too and will be online tonight if we'll have cars worth playing with online this early.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
That sounds painful.

I have the game too and will be online tonight if we'll have cars worth playing with online this early.
we could at least do some co-op campaign, don't necessarily have to venture to the MP races yet.

takes prob about an hour or two to get through the introductory races before you unlock social stuff though
Pman17
AG
Been playing on and off today. Probably on all day tomorrow.
Kampfers
AG
Just redid everything. Got to the loyalty reward. Just as I pulled up the game crashed. Hope I didn't lose it.

Yup appears the game thinks I got it. ****

2nd edit: some say this can be resolved with resets.... Testing
irock2513
AG
@Kamphers- you were the first driver I recruited during the second mission. Congrats.
Pman17
AG
Created a club Texas Aggies
Kampfers
AG
Couple of car thoughts:

I completely forgot how important AWD is in this game. It doesn't matter what class you're in, whether you're on-road or off, most of the time AWD is going to provide you with an advantage in-game. Some cars are balanced well enough to make the most of RWD, but I haven't tested many of those in this game yet.

They downgraded the Turbo Rally engine (probably rightfully so) from the past games. Now that's a class B champion, instead of a class A engine.

Thus my 07 Subie WRX + the rally engine isn't as versatile as it once was, but will still be a beast in class B. Still a lot of fun to drive, the rally engine just provides crazy amount of torque so you can really pull away from people in and out of the turns and you don't have to be too concerned about top speed on most tracks/races (especially in class B).

The 69 Ferrari Dino 246 GT you find in one of the barns is a total monster. It's class C, so I just gave it AWD and tuned it to the top if the class and it's an absolute monster. Try it out, it's fun to drive and in a very seductive package.

The Toyota GT86 is a car I always buy for personal reasons, but I tried out the full body rocketbunny upgrade they offer that takes it to the top of S1 and it's phenomenally fun to drive.

Cars I really need to try because I loved them in the FH2:
Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
Ram Runner
Anything made by Lancia

I was also incredibly close to getting a Jaguar F-Type Project 7 with an XP boost from a wheelspin but it rolled just past and I got a measly 14k credits instead.
Kampfers
AG
Just recruited pman!
Xiuh
So they changed things I guess. Just started playing and I can not buy a win. Driving perfectly and still losing by a mile.
wee_ag
AG
Possible pricing mistake at Target - Digital version is $20 right now.

I purchased (along with the VIP pass and a $10 discount = $30 total), still waiting for code.

http://www.target.com/p/forza-horizon-3-standard-edition-email-delivery-/-/A-51742572
TexasAggie_02
AG
wee_ag said:

Possible pricing mistake at Target - Digital version is $20 right now.

I purchased (along with the VIP pass and a $10 discount = $30 total), still waiting for code.

http://www.target.com/p/forza-horizon-3-standard-edition-email-delivery-/-/A-51742572

Damn, not anymore
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.