Panasonic gh4 feedback

476 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag_of_08
Ag_of_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a larger/higher resolution option for the big drone. A lot of my inspection work will be done with a go pro on a smaller gimbal, have that covered.

I've also got a movi style gimbal, and the big platform to pick it up with. For higher resolution, real estate work, and general usage where the less expensive ( therefore less risky) go pro/smaller platform won't work, Im looking this direction.

Anyone have experience with the GH4? I have no real interests in stills, unless they're frames pulled from a video, but the film quality, lens compatability/adaptability, and weight are pushing me this direction. I had considered a 70d, but the lack of 4k is actually an issue, as is weight with lenses( more weight equates to shortened flight times).

It's really starting to look like I might have to step up to one of the micro cinema cameras to get much better, and that is not in the budget for the near future
91AggieLawyer
AG
I haven't actually used a GH4 but I've seen pro videographers use them for weddings. One guy at church had one -- he does some freelance video work -- but he says he's planning to go to the Sony full frame platform. I don't recall the model of the Sony. Anyway the GH4 gets great reviews and compares favorably to most full frame SLRs/Mirrorless except in extreme cases of low light.

You sure you want to risk a $1400 camera on a drone for what would end up being only marginally better results? What a GH4 (or even a Canon 5d Mk II) gets you in video is superb depth of field that something like a GoPro or your iPhone can't get. This shines in close shots of subjects with the background getting blurred. I don't think that is needed for drone work.

Why do you feel the GoPro isn't good enough for what you want? Heck, I have some iPhone video that looks better to me than what most equipment, even pro equipment, could do just a few years ago.
Ag_of_08
AG
Quality of video, image stabilization, lens selection, light handling, dynamic range, focal length and filtering, glass quality all come to mind.

I'm not as worried about the risk with this particular bird as I would be with a consumer bird. It's a 1000mm octocopter, setup specifically for cinematography grade cameras, with a gimble to handle them. Even with a double motor failure, it will make it to the ground in a controlled landing fully loaded. It was built specifically with professional photography work in mind, and to pick up something like a MOVI gimbal+ DSLR, and give me about a 15minute dynamic flight time(25 or so when stationary).

The go-pro will work for a lot of what I'm doing. The smaller tricopter I have is more than sufficient for that, but the big octo is being aimed at doing higher resolution work. I'm also doing a great deal with GPS based high res mapping surveys, and having to pull highly cropped stills from 4k video.

That's a phantom 4 on top of it during the mockup build.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.