iPhone 7 Event Thread

51,425 Views | 524 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Premium
Pman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

iPhone 7 is coming!
Announcement on the 7th @12pm CDT
Pre-orders on the 9th @2am CDT
Release 16th
Same for the Watch

iPhone 7
-32, 128, 256GB
-Five Colors: Silver, Gold, Rose Gold, Black, Jet Black (gloss)
-Same design as the previous two
-No headphone jack to add more battery, Taptic Engine and extra speaker
-Stereo Speakers with improved ear speaker
-Force touch home button for better water resistance
-Better water resistance design IPX7
-Dual Camera for the plus for better photos/lowlight/10x zoom, 12mp, image stabalization
-7mp Facetime Camera
-Better Processor A10 for better battery life

Airpods
-Wireless Apple Style Earbuds
-Charges in a case

Apple Watch Edition 2
-Water Resistant 50 meters
-GPS
-Faster Processor
-Brighter Screen
-Same Design
-Added Ceramic Casing

Apple Watch Edition 1
-Old watch
-Faster Processor
-Reduced Price

Summary Vid

Live Stream
http://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2016/

Pre-Order Tip
If you want to be the first to have one and not be backordered, pre-order at 2am Central on the 9th via Apple Store App for iPhone.

Otterbox Cases for Pre-Order
https://www.otterbox.com/en-us/iphone-7
chipotle
AggieFrog
AG
Another toc cycle. Next year should be interesting, though. Big changes this year is non-physical home button, removal of the headphone jack, duo camera on 7+, and maybe some water resistance. I'm hoping they remove the huge bezels, go OLED, add wireless charging, and make it IP68 certified next year. I'm not holding my breath on them finally updating Springboard and allowing user-specified default apps which are years overdue.

Hopefully we're surprised next week though I doubt it.
VonDownByTheRiver
No way default apps are changable. iOS 10 has already been detailed, and honestly, it's a pretty un-Apple thing to allow.
AggieFrog
AG
quote:
No way default apps are changable. iOS 10 has already been detailed, and honestly, it's a pretty un-Apple thing to allow.

Was referring to iOS 11 next year. I know they won't but that's a major reason I switched in 2012 and remain on Android.
adamsbq06
AG
All for a phone that largely has the same functionality as the 6+ i use today...
VonDownByTheRiver
quote:
All for a phone that largely has the same functionality as the 6+ i use today...
3D Touch, no home button that can break, and a dual lens camera are pretty worthy of a 2 year upgrade IMO.

In the most general sense, all cell phones have had the same basic functionality for 5 years.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:
3D Touch, no home button that can break, and a dual lens camera are pretty worthy of a 2 year upgrade IMO.

In the most general sense, all cell phones have had the same basic functionality for 5 years.

What about 3D Touch?

tamusc
AG
You have a 6S Plus then, not a 6 Plus as you originally said.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
You have a 6S Plus then, not a 6 Plus as you originally said.

I never originally said anything but yes I have a 6S, not a 6S Plus.
Madmarttigan
AG
I have 3D Touch and have absolutely no idea what it adds in functionality to my phone. Annoys me more than helps me.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
I have 3D Touch and have absolutely no idea what it adds in functionality to my phone. Annoys me more than helps me.

Google just released an update to their app that utilizes 3D Touch to preview links from search results page.
Brick Tamland
The actual Google app or Chrome? If Chrome would add the peek and pop functionality I would use it exclusively
Brick Tamland
I'm sure I will end up getting the new phone at the end of the month when my upgrade occurs. Have had every one since the 4 came out so far. Every time I talk myself into switching the new ones come out and I love all things Apple again.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
The actual Google app or Chrome? If Chrome would add the peek and pop functionality I would use it exclusively
The Google app. Just noticed it today in my updates. I think it will just take time for developers to figure out how/what to use the feature for.
tamusc
AG
Ahh, sorry. The comment about adding 3D Touch was specifically in response to someone with a 6 Plus that doesn't have 3D Touch and also mentioned it bring a two year upgrade, which also wouldn't apply to some with a 6S
Bregxit
AG
quote:
Ahh, sorry. The comment about adding 3D Touch was specifically in response to someone with a 6 Plus that doesn't have 3D Touch and also mentioned it bring a two year upgrade, which also wouldn't apply to some with a 6S

Gotcha. I didn't realize the 6's didn't have it.
Tabasco
AG
I assume it will be waterproof. I accidentally learned they made some efforts to waterproof the 6 after my wife dropped hers in Lake Travis. After 8 hours at a depth of 10 feet, I pulled it out and it worked perfectly. I had thought it was at 45 feet, but when we raised the boat lift, it was there on the thing that fills up with air to lift the boat. I was amazed and googled it, and there are some articles about it.
agdoc2001
AG
quote:
3D Touch, no home button that can break, and a dual lens camera.

Wow. All this and now none of my earbuds work with it?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BQ2001
AG
Hate the no headphone jack decision. I have iPhone headphones all over the place, work, gym bag, workout area. If one goes out from running in the rain or sweat it's no big deal, they are cheap. Also, am curious if you could use an adapter and charge at the same time. I listen to podcasts or music all day and occasionally have to charge up after lunch.

I'll probably just get a 6s after the price drops and see what the headphone options are a couple years from now.
AtlAg05
AG
I'm sure there will be a $30 adapter you can buy to charge and listen to headphones.
haircut
Pman17
AG
quote:
I'm sure there will be a $30 adapter you can buy to charge and listen to headphones.
Griffin is coming out with $20 bluetooth adapter for headphones.

https://griffintechnology.com/us/itrip-clip-bluetooth-headphone-adapter

I think we can officially confirm there will be no headphone jack on the iPhone 7.
Whitetail
AG
Another device I have to charge and keep up with, no thank you. I think the adapter is a big swing and a miss.
agdoc2001
AG
quote:
Another device I have to charge and keep up with, no think you. I thank the adapter is a big swing and a miss.
This. A thousand times this.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
adamsbq06
AG
my phone just started acting up, touch screen acting up...
VonDownByTheRiver
quote:
I assume it will be waterproof. I accidentally learned they made some efforts to waterproof the 6 after my wife dropped hers in Lake Travis. After 8 hours at a depth of 10 feet, I pulled it out and it worked perfectly. I had thought it was at 45 feet, but when we raised the boat lift, it was there on the thing that fills up with air to lift the boat. I was amazed and googled it, and there are some articles about it.
And my 6s+ died after 30 seconds 2 feet down in a pool. Anecdotes!
Tabasco
AG
quote:
quote:

That sucks. 5s (no waterproofing efforts) exposed to 2-3 sec 6 inches to a foot did not survive (same accident as above phone). It would never charge so it just bricked itself.
Phat32
AG
FYI for AT&T folks at least...there is no longer the 2-year upgrade subsidy. You either pay full freight or you do NeXT.

Oh and I haven't seen my phone bill go down since my subsidy is over...*eye roll*
tamusc
AG
Yeah, Next is actually a better deal than the subsidy because you can directly control how much extra you pay over your actual service. You're also not paying extra if you're device is paid off.
Brick Tamland
I do the 12 month next so I can get an upgrade every year
tamusc
AG
Ditto. You're still paying the same total amount as the 18 and 24 month plans for the phone, but you have far more flexibility. I suppose you could pay it off early if you wanted to rather than do the 12 month, but at that point you might as well pay for the phone in full up front.
Pman17
AG
yea, my bill seems high being off that two year contract. They say I'm eligible to upgrade. Definitely doing the yearly next thing or at least for one year since the 2017 iPhone seems to be way better than this one coming up. Plus people's iPhone 6's are getting the unresponsive/white bar screen of death. Co-worker got it a few weeks ago so I believe it. Showed me a picture and he got a Samsung. Better sell my 6+ before it dies or word really spreads and it becomes worthless.
Shawdaddy
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

That sucks. 5s (no waterproofing efforts) exposed to 2-3 sec 6 inches to a foot did not survive (same accident as above phone). It would never charge so it just bricked itself.
I took my 6 swimming with me summer of '15. Deader than a doornail.

Switched to a Samsung galaxy s6 active (at full retail) because it was waterproof, and have regretted it pretty much every day since. Will be making the switch back next month once the 7 is released.
Dad
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.