Is 4K Worth It?

2,735 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TX_AG_10
FlyFish95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Getting a new TV this weekend and want to know if it's worth the extra bump.
Post removed:
by user
hph6203
AG
4K not so much, if you currently have a LCD display then FALD and HDR will be a significant upgrade to the picture quality.

A $1000 1080p TV is going to look better than the $400 4K TVs, but a $1000 4K HDR FALD TV is going to look better than the $1000 1080p TV.

This website will give you the scientific data points to compare sets based upon your requirements. Going to the store and comparing them based upon what your eyes see is a bad idea: http://www.rtings.com
Pman17
AG
If you're willing to spend a couple of grand. Get a new 4K with HDR at least 65". You could get away with a 55". I have a 4K 55" Vizio HDR. Wish I bought a 65" but their initial launch of the model M 65" HDR were defective so I had to go with the model P. Of course with that, you may want a UHD HDR Blu-ray player. The best recommendation would be an Xbox One S. It's the cheapest player and you get all of the apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Or if you wanna just go all digital, I recommend the Amazon Fire TV Box.

Now if you get the Vizio TV it does have android built in for all of those stuff. Comes with a tablet remote too
Post removed:
by user
chipotle
If you need a tv get 4K. If you don't then no.
91AggieLawyer
AG
quote:
Going to the store and comparing them based upon what your eyes see is a bad idea

I keep hearing people say this and it makes me want to pull what's left of my hair out! Are you saying I should believe what I read but not what I see? The TV is going to be in your home, not anyone else's.

I GET the idea that you should not automatically exclude a TV simply because one store you saw it in has a picture on it you didn't like. And because you're not automatically excluding a particular model because the store might not have it set up correctly, it is a very good idea to visit several locations to see the TV displayed.

However, if you see one in there with a picture you really like, the durability (and other things) on reviews seems good, by all means, get it. Can the store be artificially making the TV look good? Doubtful.
tamusc
AG
It's not that they make TVs look artificially better, it's that they can and do make them look randomly bad to terrible.
hph6203
AG
quote:
quote:
Going to the store and comparing them based upon what your eyes see is a bad idea

I keep hearing people say this and it makes me want to pull what's left of my hair out! Are you saying I should believe what I read but not what I see? The TV is going to be in your home, not anyone else's.

What you see in the store is not how any of those TVs are going to look on the wall in your house. That's the point. A properly calibrated TV for home use is going to look BAD in a brightly lit Best Buy or Walmart (where the majority of people purchase their TVs). If you have the opportunity to go to a premium AV store and have the reasonably replicate the lighting conditions of the room you intend on putting the TV in then by all means do it, but short of that it's unreasonable to expect what you see in the store to be what you see at home.

quote:
I GET the idea that you should not automatically exclude a TV simply because one store you saw it in has a picture on it you didn't like. And because you're not automatically excluding a particular model because the store might not have it set up correctly, it is a very good idea to visit several locations to see the TV displayed.

Comparing TVs based upon what you saw at one store vs. what you see at another is not a reasonable thing to do either. Why? Because your memory is flawed, so unless you have the TVs set up side by side in the same store, properly calibrated, in the correct lighting conditions you aren't going to be able to accurately determine the differences between sets. What looks good in one store may look bad in another, and without having the TV calibrated you won't be comparing apples to apples.

quote:
However, if you see one in there with a picture you really like, the durability (and other things) on reviews seems good, by all means, get it. Can the store be artificially making the TV look good? Doubtful.

Yes, the store does in fact make all TVs look better than they do. Some of it is unintentional and the nature of the environment. Bright flourescent lighting will make all TVs look good, because it washes out the blacks and makes them look darker than they actually are. Inky blacks make TVs look significantly better, it's why OLED TVs are the premium technology to date because they have what is essentially infinite contrast ratios (Their pixels are individually addressable and can be shut off when the picture dictates that the screen should be as dark as possible). I wouldn't put it past them to intentionally make the more pricey sets look better than the less expensive ones.

If you have the knowledge to calibrate a TV yourself, then by all means go for it, but it still won't be indicative of your home experience. It also requires way more time and knowledge to do that in store than it does to rely upon people that do the testing for you to determine how quality the set is. The job of a television is to reproduce content the way the individual who mastered the content intended. It is not supposed to go in adding information to attempt to make the picture looks better. The ability of a TV to reproduce content is scientifically measurable by checking true contrast ratios (not those listed on the box), color accuracy, and peak brightness.

If you follow the science you will end up with a list of TVs that will look good, and then you can determine which TV you prefer based upon price and styling. LG currently makes the best televisions (Their OLED line), Samsung currently makes the best LED TVs based upon picture quality and styling, Vizio makes the best bang for your buck display (similar picture quality to Samsung, some would say better, but the styling is worse).
Aggielandma12
AG
why is this 4k tv so cheap?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-smartcast-55-class-54-64-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-home-theater-display-with-chromecast-built-in-black/4859403.p?id=bb4859403&skuId=4859403
hph6203
AG
Because it doesn't have the top tier tech in it. It's a non-HDR TV, it also has a lot of motion blur, and bad viewing angles (color shifts the further to the side you look at the TV.)

Short answer: it's not a great TV. It's the kind of TV I would buy for outdoors or at the lake, or in a kids playroom where I'm not so concerned with a pristine viewing experience.

The Vizio M Series is a better buy for living rooms and especially bedrooms. The P Series is the line built for the living room, is comparatively way more expensive than that TV, but compared to Sony's/Samsung's offerings they're significantly cheaper
TecRecAg
AG
I bought a 60" LG 4K w/ HDR a month ago. Absolutely love it. Cost me about $1,400 I think. Worth the cash to me, but everyone is different.
FlyFish95
Went with 65" LG. 4k HDR. Looks awesome.
Madmarttigan
AG
I wonder how long it will take for the LG OLED's to go down below 2500 from 4000.

Are there any other companies releasing OLED 4K's to provide some competition?
The Fife
Similarly, I'm wondering when price drops for 4K HDR sets at 75"+ will be happening...
TX_AG_10
AG
quote:
I wonder how long it will take for the LG OLED's to go down below 2500 from 4000.

Are there any other companies releasing OLED 4K's to provide some competition?
You can snag up a good deal on a 2015 LG 4K OLED on occasion. I had a co-worker snag up a new 65" for 2500 from Adorama.. However, those deals are few and far between so you have to be ready when they show up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.