WOW exp

1,582 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by VonDownByTheRiver
Furious Styles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just picked up the game a month or so ago and have never played before. From some of you veterans, what are some of the must do things I need to knock out before the expansion?
boboguitar
AG
quote:
I just picked up the game a month or so ago and have never played before. From some of you veterans, what are some of the must do things I need to knock out before the expansion?

Losing your virginity first.
good nuggets
AG
Don't listen to him, there are plenty of role playing realms that will allow you to lose it "in game".
tomtomdrumdrum
AG
I put on my wizard robe and hat.
Good Poster
AG
Don't listen to these guys. Wow is cool. Since you're new to the game you need to figure out what aspects of the game interest you most. The biggest is PvE or PvP. Find a guild that matches your interest. Once the expansion comes out it sorta levels the playing field because everyone needs new gear and has to level and discover the new content.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
I put on my wizard robe and hat.
It's DnDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Summoning the demons of lore.

It's DnDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Never kissed a lady before.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
Don't listen to these guys. Wow is cool. Since you're new to the game you need to figure out what aspects of the game interest you most. The biggest is PvE or PvP. Find a guild that matches your interest. Once the expansion comes out it sorta levels the playing field because everyone needs new gear and has to level and discover the new content.
Man, I played vanilla wow and the first 2 expansions.

At no point would anyone say wow is cool.
Good Poster
AG
quote:
quote:

Guess you're a mondo loser then
PatAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Why would you care what those people think? Are you in high school? Is the game fun and do you enjoy it?
For ****s sake, fantasy football is super popular now. Its 2016. Harambe didn't die for this guy to be called a loser for playing WoW.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why would you care what those people think? Are you in high school? Is the game fun and do you enjoy it?
For ****s sake, fantasy football is super popular now. Its 2016. Harambe didn't die for this guy to be called a loser for playing WoW.

Why would you care what I think?
diehard03
quote:

Nothing, just enjoy. If you have any non-level 100 characters, level them up quickly during invasions.
AgLaw02
AG
quote:
Its 2016. Harambe didn't die for this guy to be called a loser for playing WoW.
Jinx
There is a lot to do in this game and it can be overwhelming for brand new players. My best suggestion (from introducing people to the game over the years) is to slow down, take your time, and enjoy. Take it all in, there is a ton to explore and learn. The world will never be larger than when you first step into it so enjoy it. Find a medium to high population server and don't be afraid to tell people you are new. Sometimes you'll get trolls, but more often than not you'll find people who are more than willing to help you out and guide you.

Find a guild, and again let people know you're new. You can use the official forums, reddit/r/wownoob, or trade chat to find a group of people to play with. I would not recommend joining a guild that randomly invites you in game. It's not a bad thing necessarily, but you won't likely gain any meaningful interactions from those types of guilds.

As far as what to do until expansion, you can work on professions, achievements, experience old raids, participate in the pre expansion activities, battle pets and collecting them, finish questing in zones you may not have completed, level an alternate character to see if you like something else better... etc.

People, especially veteran players like myself will grouse and whine and moan about things, but the truth is we're still playing for a reason. The reason people come back over and over is largely because we are trying to capture that feeling of the first time we ever played. That is something that you get to experience now. Have fun.
jbirdag96
AG
Couldn't have said it better than Jinx did. I've played since just after WoTLK dropped at the behest of a former student of mine. The two things that really drew me in and keep me in are the lore and community. I've read a lot of the books which helps add a measure of depth to the game. I've met some great people in game and have been able to meet a few in real life. You WILL run into elitist jerks, but don't let it dissuade you from playing. I run on Alleria/Khadgar (Horde) and thoroughly enjoy my guildies and our escapades together. Quite honestly, they are a 2nd family of sorts.

If you want suggestions on how to set up your toon, check out Icy-Veins

Feel free to ask any questions in game Stormfury#1430
Line Ate Member
AG
quote:
Couldn't have said it better than Jinx did. I've played since just after WoTLK dropped at the behest of a former student of mine. The two things that really drew me in and keep me in are the lore and community. I've read a lot of the books which helps add a measure of depth to the game. I've met some great people in game and have been able to meet a few in real life. You WILL run into elitist jerks, but don't let it dissuade you from playing. I run on Alleria/Khadgar (Horde) and thoroughly enjoy my guildies and our escapades together. Quite honestly, they are a 2nd family of sorts.

If you want suggestions on how to set up your toon, check out Icy-Veins

Feel free to ask any questions in game Stormfury#1430

To piggy-back off of this, I haven't played WoW in about 2 going on 3 expansions (played a lot of WotLK). I have tried to fin games that offer the same elements that WoW does, but there isn't another game that offers everything this game does.

I was on a small/medium server and still had a lot of fun harassing horde/alliance in the open world while being in a guild that was competitive on our server. I think that is going to be the most important thing for you in starting the game. Find a group of like-minded players and start your community quick. Some of my favorite memories of the game weren't the raid bosses we cleared, but they were the random mount runs or open world PvP matches that would flare up with a few other guildies.

Enjoy the game. Don't let the spammers get you down. Always travel with a friend in contested areas.
PatAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why would you care what I think?
Touche
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
5.5+ million people in the world are uncool.
Dread Pirate Roberts
Lots of tough talk from people on a Nerdery forum!
Claude!
I don't know that there are any "must do" things to get done; as others have said, take the time to enjoy the game. A couple of things that I enjoyed that you can still do, though:

• Welcome to the Machine - Horde quest in Hillsbrad Foothills
  • The Day That Deathwing Came - neutral quest in Badlands
  • Eastern Plaguelands - very good overall structure to the zone; the quest The Battle of Darrowshire is probably my favorite questline in the game
  • Battle for Shattrath - one of the final quests in the Talador zone in Warlords of Draenor
  • Shadowmoon Valley (Draenor) - well-done Alliance zone with a good payoff
  • Gnomebliteration - quest in Uldum (Cataclysm zone)

That's mostly open world stuff, of course. You can also find plenty to do in terms of PvP, doing dungeons, or raiding.
VonDownByTheRiver
I politely asked Blizzard for 7 days of playtime since I haven't turned on WoW in 3 years...they brought my account all the way up to Warlords for free and gave me the 7 days. That's service!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.