Help me understand...

2,027 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DanHo2010
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How is it that so many big professional organizations are getting hacked? Just to name a few, Sony Pictures, Toyota, TJ Maxx.

These corps have the money to pay competent CIOs to secure their systems. Why don't they?

I hate to be political, but now Hillary and the DNC!

How is it the DNC doesn't have a competent CIO to deal with this stuff.

How is it that Hillary Clinton in this day and age not know about viruses, hackers and computer security. Having had an exceptional education, been a past govenor/senator and this being 2016? Politicians should have access to info/intel light years ahead a normal citizen.

How could the tech staff that installed the hardware at Hillary''s house not know of these vulnerabilities? What tech admin would approve this? Has the top tech guy/gal been fired?

These seem to be the questions no one asks!
tamusc
AG
Because those same organizations are staffed by people that don't like being "inconvenienced" by their "paranoid" CIO and their IT&S staff, so they do everything they can to circumvent basic security provisions and fall for generally simple phishing/social engineering tactics.

It's also a matter of cost and prioritization. Unfortunately, many companies don't find out the true cost of being hacked until after the fact.
dds08
AG
Well then this would tell me that the CEO/head person at these organizations are incompetent and should be gotten rid of. Or take a class on basic Internet security. See some documentaries on hacking devestation.

But then again, this is White House staff we're talking about! They installed that stuff at Clinton's house. Where are they? How could they be so dumb?
tamusc
AG
They're only as competent as they are allowed to be. You also underestimate how weak a link in IT security the human element really is.

Don't get me wrong, there are incompetent IT&S folks just like there are incompetent folks in every other field.

Sometimes though you have to provide the best guidance and then do what you're told. I guess IT&S folks could just quit on principle every time they are told to do something that they feel isn't best practice, but you'd end up with quite a few unemployed tech folks then.
dds08
AG
Well.... I woulda reached out to the federal ethics hotline at least and got something verifiable that I contacted them, just to cover my own rear end. Or mentioned some clues/hints to my manager.

Do they have a federal ethics hotline for government employees?
tamusc
AG
Pretty sure they do and that is definitely an option.

The other part of this is that we are woefully behind China and possibly even Russia when it comes to cyberwarfare capabilities. There is a reason why the Feds have bans on buying certain Chinese manufactured electronics.

http://techonomy.com/2013/04/huawei-zte-banned-from-selling-to-u-s-government/
dds08
AG
We are the US! World super power! What about all that state of the art tech the military is in on before anyone else? How are these countries ahead of us?
dds08
AG
MIT and CAL TECH are in our backyard with the best students from all over the world!
AtlAg05
AG
It's a never ending rat race with hackers. Those big companies will have to spend millions to keep up and at the same time they are publicly traded.

I can't see a lot of ROI spending those millions on security so it has to be balanced to keep investors happy. Plus the bigger an organization the harder it is to do security upgrades constantly. Thousands of computers/servers/networks that any hardware/software issue means losing sales which also makes investors unhappy.

It's tough and unfortunately it's a lot of reactionary processes for when someone finds a weakness and it has to be addressed.
chigger
AG
State of the art doesn't necessarily mean proven or widely available. You are also forgetting the massive amount of attacks that ARE stopped. Then there are zero-day vulnerabilities... The list goes on.

Compare it to conventional military. With our advanced "state of the art" military, why are soldiers still killed by car-bombs and IED's.

The answer is that sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to stop.
Pman17
AG
I'm in the reserve and we have to do this IT DoD security course every year. Boring AF, but it reminds us on how to keep our information secure. Doesn't all govt employees have to take this course? With Clinton's busy schedule, I doubt she would take a course like this every year, probably has her secretary do it for her or something. Also I don't know how the rest of the government does their email but I have to use this outlook web 2003 thing for my email. Glitchy AF! Only works in Internet Explorer which is only secure in the latest version. Microsoft is trying to get rid of it completely, but the govt still uses it for everything. You can't have it route to your phone because it's the military and have to have my ID card connected. Guess I can see why she had her own email servers. I don't know about y'all but I think a majority of our govt IT stuff is outdated to like early 2000s which is why they get hacked. I bet a lot of these major companies get hacked because they don't want to pay for updated systems. Which is why you never really see Google, Apple, or Facebook getting hacked. Just my opinion on this stuff, I'm not a IT security genius.
boboguitar
AG
There is no such thing as a "hack" proof system.
dds08
AG
Hmm. Makes since.

Oh well. Hope things get better!
Zemira
AG
First I think the people aspect is a large problem.

Do you know how many keep their password on a sticky note in their desk? Think of all the other clueless things they do because the security is just dumb to them.

Second I think part of it is just the sheer volume of attacks. I work for a large corporation and our CIO quoted an average of 5,000 attempted attacks, phishes and hacks a day.

These are the ones that are detected and stopped. He showed a chart last year and the origin was 75% Asia.

The figures seemed a bit crazy, but now not so unbelievable.
The Dog Lord
AG
The number of "smart" people that still click on links in obvious spam emails is surprising. As others have mentioned, there are plenty of other things that people do to negate established security measures or to prevent further measures from being implemented.
dds08
AG
Here's an idea: how about email providers like gmail/Hotmail/yahoo make it to where before a user receives email from anyone, the user must first authorize that email account to send them email to begin with?

If you never authorize anyone, then you will never receive email. If you authorize everyone, you increase risk.

At least with this option, everyone you get mail from will be someone you know. Then have an option where you don't accept attachments or links in any emails. No pictures either.

How about this be a option?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:
Here's an idea: how about email providers like gmail/Hotmail/yahoo make it to where before a user receives email from anyone, the user must first authorize that email account to send them email to begin with?

If you never authorize anyone, then you will never receive email. If you authorize everyone, you increase risk.

At least with this option, everyone you get mail from will be someone you know. Then have an option where you don't accept attachments or links in any emails. No pictures either.

Well, considering people open that email now and click links, what makes you think they wouldn't take the extra step to "activate" that email address as soon as it came in? If you force people to activate ahead of time you lose the large amount of legit emails from places that you don't expect.

It also seems like you may under appreciate the difficulties in securing a system. As your complexity grows, so does your surface area for attack.

Yes, there are idiots out there, but many of these systems are built by incredibly smart folks and it is a bit silly to just throw out random ideas and assume you could lock down a multi million dollar system that requires access from all over the world.

Even if you do make it perfectly secure, YOUR people have to be able to get in which means social engineering attacks are always possible and THAT is an oft used way in on these.

The problem is much more difficult than you seem to believe it to be.
Satellite of Love
quote:

Except for your approved contacts can get hacked and send you a bad link. It isn't full proof.
tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:

Except for your approved contacts can get hacked and send you a bad link. It isn't full proof.

Or the attacker could spoof the email addresses of known senders as well.
DanHo2010
AG
quote:
Because those same organizations are staffed by people that don't like being "inconvenienced" by their "paranoid" CIO and their IT&S staff, so they do everything they can to circumvent basic security provisions and fall for generally simple phishing/social engineering tactics.

It's also a matter of cost and prioritization. Unfortunately, many companies don't find out the true cost of being hacked until after the fact.
quote:
They're only as competent as they are allowed to be. You also underestimate how weak a link in IT security the human element really is.

Don't get me wrong, there are incompetent IT&S folks just like there are incompetent folks in every other field.

Sometimes though you have to provide the best guidance and then do what you're told. I guess IT&S folks could just quit on principle every time they are told to do something that they feel isn't best practice, but you'd end up with quite a few unemployed tech folks then.

Hope you don't mind tamusc, but I'm putting these 2 posts on the screen next time I give an update to our BoD.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Heck, just hang around THIS BOARD for a few months and you'll read at least a handful of posts where folks are asking how to get around firewalls or IT policies so they can install software, stream videos, download torrents, etc.

Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
A) The Chinese government actively engaged in theft/hacking

B) I suspect most of the exploits might be coming from everything essentially being spyware. Just pure paranoid guess on my part.

Some of my clients think there will be a return to the "office tower" with a hard wired network for a company - but they might be a little crazy.

But I think the main part is jackassery/BYOD - which also strikes me as jackassery.
DanHo2010
AG
Oh, believe me, I know.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.