Wanting a new phone

942 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ag09
ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I, a month ago, had the birth of our first child and have been taking pictures with our phones. We have a dedicated DSLR, so our phones are for quick shots. I currently have a Moto G 2015 and it's camera is...ok.

I'm wanting a new phone with a good camera, at least 1080p screen, all day battery life, with near stock android. And I'd like to stay around $450. I had the OPO and had issues with Cyanogen, haven't tried Oxygen but it looks promising. I'm rolling with ATT, btw.

So far on the list are (in no particular order):
  • OnePlus 3
  • ZTE Axon 7
  • Nexus 6p
  • new Nexus TBA

Open for suggestions. tia.
AgDev01
AG
Im looking at 3 of the four phones on your list (excluding the 6p). I think you hit pretty much everything out there based on your specifications.

Having owned an OPO and OP2 i decided not to buy the three when it was released, the phone has received very good reviews but im ready for something different. I will say the latest version of Oxygen OS on the OP2 is pretty good. I switched back to that from CM and have no complaints.

The Axon 7 is very intriguing and offers a MicroSD slot, which is important to me, but their wavering on a bootloader unlock caused me to cancel my pre-order. I don't want to be stuck with their software as it is just too skinned for my tastes. If the 6gb version and an unlock is out before the nexus i may pull the trigger on it.

I think by default i'll end up with the next higher end nexus with as much storage i can get in the 600-700 dollar range. Quick updates and im perfectly happy running stock android.
ag09
AG
Why no 6p?
AgDev01
AG
Just because i am fine with waiting a month or two until the new model is released, even if the price is substantially higher. If i don't like the new nexus i'd still probably choose with the Axon 7 over the 6p as a year newer hardware would win out over software. Just personal preference the 6p is a fine device, should have waited for it last year over the OP2, that i think is now the cheapest of all of your options.
Leeman
What about the Moto Pure X ?

Seems like a good deal and quite a bit cheaper.
zurcaled11
AG
I'd go with a samsung s7 or s7 edge. I use and s7 edge with the google now launcher and google keyboard so most of samsung's skin is removed (other than settings menus and the top-drawer). Waterproof phones with long battery life. I came from a moto x 2014 and that was one of my favorite phones I've ever used.
mazag08
AG
I recently bought a Nexus 5x. As someone who is not interested in rooting or doing any serious development on my phone (more of basic to intermediate phone user), it has been everything I've always wanted in a phone.

I'd wait to see what the new Nexus looks like. I wanted the 6p, but it was unnecessarily large in my opinion.
ag09
AG
Yeah I think I'm on pause for now, especially with the inventory issues with OP3 and the new nexus around the corner. The S7 just recently caught my attention but I'm on att and can't stand bloat. IMO, it would be pointless to buy an unlocked s7 and miss out on hd voice/ volte.

what kind of battery life are you getting on the s7?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.