Best Home Automation Systems?

2,606 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by adamsbq06
ThunderCatsHOOOO!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife and I are moving into a new home that is about a year old tomorrow and expecting our first child in December. The home currently has an ADT security system installed but are considering our options. We have we never had any kind of home automation or security system before but with these new life changes I am looking to put some money into securing and automating our home. I have looked at AT&T's Digital Life solution because I am currently a customer, and its intriguing because of the professional installation (I am not much of a DIYer), the 24/7 security monitoring, and the completeness of their solution (thermostat, lights, garage door, keyless entry, outdoor/indoor video survellience, glass break sensors, etc). I also like that everything is integrated and controlled/monitored from a smart phone. I have seen some reviews online of "higher rated" solutions (i.e. FrontPoint, HomeSeer, ADT) but few, if any, have professional Home Automation installation included.

Looking for advice/suggestions on the AT&T solution or others out there.

Thanks and Gigem!
AggieBQ95
AG
The only thing I do not like about the ATT solution is that everything works on wireless devices - they will not do an install with your existing hardwired sensors. Other than that, ATT digital life seems like a pretty good solution. I have ADT currently, and I went with them because I could get a 2 year contract by being a USAA customer rather than have to sign for 3 years (the normal term length). They gave me some minimal home automation and I was able to add to it. I added additional light switches, so I can turn on/off and automate my front porch, back porch and kitchen light. It also works well with my nest thermostat, but that was a separate install that I did on my own about a year after the security system install. The only part I do not have is the cameras - which at times I wish I did. Like I said - if ATT digital life took advantage of my existing sensors, I would probably switch sooner than later, but I just am not a fan of the whole thing being wireless. Seems like a recipe for disaster or at the very least a possibility that you have an area that is not being monitored at some point when there is a failure.
AggieBQ95
AG
I called this morning and apparently ATT Digital Life can use the existing hardwired connections. Looking in to possibly switching as that has been what was holding me back. If you decide to go with them, let me know and I will refer you and we both save $25 if you don't already have another referral.
adamsbq06
AG
First of all where are you located...

I have a lot of experience in this, probably more than most. I am a certified URC Total Control System Designer. I don't have a business i am trying to push, this is a hobby of mine and i do work here and there for one of my friends.

The issue you will run into with ADT and Digital Life will be limitations on the types of devices you can automate and also you will have to likely but them through them. I am a Digital Life customer myself and even though their light switches, door locks etc are all Z-Wave, I cant go to Lowes or Home Depot and but a bunch and have them work. I had ADT Pulse before this and the same story.

My advise for you is to leave the automation portion of your issue seperate from the security system. WIth either system you can get alerts to an email account then you can use IFTTT (a free app from the app store) to trigger events for other controlers like a Z-wave controler or Phillips Hue or whatever. Between that, a couple of IP cloud based cameras and a Z-Wave or IP Based thremostat you should be able to solve 95% of the problem.
If you want it more automated than that (or want to connect it to whole house audio or a theater room, etc) shoot me an email and i can design something for you for free and get you a quote for HW and anything else you would need.

This is more info on the system I use... URC
AggieBQ95
AG
Not doubting what you claim BQ (from another BQ), but I currently have ADT and I have added Z-Wave products as often as I want. Initially they gave me one or two plugs that worked, and I since added three wall switches. I could also add a door lock, but I haven't really seen the need for that. The only thing I was unable to add was a camera, as that would have required me to have video monitoring with ADT, and while I would like to be able to view video footage remotely, I don't really have any desire to use it as a part of the home security. I have young kids and my wife has had some health issues - so I would like to check in remotely from time to time.

I contacted ATT digitial life this morning and they assured me they would be able to install any of the z-wave devices that I currently had working with ADT with the ATT DL system. If they are unable to, that would be a deal breaker for me.
leathal02
AG
As a local small business security owner i would say there are a number of things I would reccommend. Firstly to be honest I would rather a local competitor of mine get business before att or sudden link with their security deals/bundles.

As far as automation it depends on what's you want to do with your system. Keep it cheap or make it expensive and complex. Personally I push Honeywell for my security and automation unless it's a high end home that has dimming panels then it goes to Lutron or savant. There are some pretty good options. Honeywell supports up to 232 devices on one controller. 99% of zwave devices will be recognized and work with the controller, but only a certain type are compatible with remotely activating or using.
I also sell urc remotes and they have some interesting things also, but their remotes are top notch.
Depending on the brand of panel set uses will really tell the capability in what zwave items. I know Honeywell but don't know what dsc or ge offers. I know there are also other automation controllers for zwave that I have heard are pretty good also.

As far as cameras. I never install a camera system without a recorder at location. The cloud is great for looking into the system remotely but for a camera system in my opinion their needs needs to be a recorder on site.

I would also support local businesses over huge companies as long as the local guys are reliable. Just my two cents.
adamsbq06
AG
quote:
Not doubting what you claim BQ (from another BQ), but I currently have ADT and I have added Z-Wave products as often as I want. Initially they gave me one or two plugs that worked, and I since added three wall switches. I could also add a door lock, but I haven't really seen the need for that. The only thing I was unable to add was a camera, as that would have required me to have video monitoring with ADT, and while I would like to be able to view video footage remotely, I don't really have any desire to use it as a part of the home security. I have young kids and my wife has had some health issues - so I would like to check in remotely from time to time.

I contacted ATT digitial life this morning and they assured me they would be able to install any of the z-wave devices that I currently had working with ADT with the ATT DL system. If they are unable to, that would be a deal breaker for me.
They told me the same thing... ADT there is a limit of the compatible devices.... I was able to buy more switches as long as they matched the make/model of the ones that were compatible. but if it didnt exist on their list I was out of luck. WHen i switched to DL i was told my stuff would be compatible by the sales team... then the day of install they were tryin to make me buy all new devices. I ended up escalating it by threatening to cancel before they replaced every switch with DL switches... while they are the same as the ADT switches it seemed that any switch not purchased through attt was blocked by their system via mac address. Also if you want to add something you either have to call or schedule a service call...
ThunderCatsHOOOO!
Thanks for the reply and info. Sorry for the late response. We have been moving into the new house the last couple of days.

So we live in south College Station and I would love to get something that is easy. Again, I'm not a DIYer so if someone can come install it and do it "right" that's what I'm looking for. Looking for something the same price or cheaper than DL.

I appreciate any other info current DL customers can provide, like reliability, ease of adding extra cameras, door locks etc. I kind of what keyless entry for front and back doors, with cameras in both places as well. Lighting and thermostat controls are a must as well.

Anyway thanks again for the response(s).
adamsbq06
AG
quote:
Thanks for the reply and info. Sorry for the late response. We have been moving into the new house the last couple of days.

So we live in south College Station and I would love to get something that is easy. Again, I'm not a DIYer so if someone can come install it and do it "right" that's what I'm looking for. Looking for something the same price or cheaper than DL.

I appreciate any other info current DL customers can provide, like reliability, ease of adding extra cameras, door locks etc. I kind of what keyless entry for front and back doors, with cameras in both places as well. Lighting and thermostat controls are a must as well.

Anyway thanks again for the response(s).
DL? you will literally have to call AT&T to add anything. I believe they charge $99 to install cameras after the first install and they run about $200 a piece. We have 4 Cameras, 2 in front of house, one in back yard, one in living room, the thermostat (its decent but i would get a nest and skip it if i could do it over again), touch pad lock, garage door opener. Honestly the thing that bothers me the most is that if i want to add more devices, i have to get them from AT&T and have them do it for me. the cameras are ok but they save the video to the cloud and you have no way of controlling the retention period. SO if you neighbor comes to you and is like hey we noticed this a month ago can you see if you see something on your camera... odds are you wont have it.

I got it a few years ago just been too lazy to replace it.

In short if i could have a do over... I would get a basic alarm system from smith thompson then i would get a zwave controller (and any z-wave device i wanted), a nest thermostat, and the new Ryobi Garage Roor opener. That would get you the basic automation.... If i wanted it to go further... Would add total control... then whenever i opened my garage i could trigger my home theater to turn on and queue up ESPN/SEC Network

send me an email i should be able to help you out. andrew@andrew-adams.me
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.