Color Blindness and Monitor Settings

2,393 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by schmendeler
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just realized tonight that red and blue are reversed on my monitor!

I can see blue pretty good. I was starting to wonder why car taillights on my computer monitor showed up as blue.

I've been playing around with the color for the last couple of hours but I think I just made it much, much, much worse. The sky now looks like a lawn.

Any suggestions?
eric76
AG
It appears to just be a problem with youtube. Some searching found that the problem, on the rare times it shows up, is with the java plugin. Changing to HTML5 vewer the colors appear to come out okay (the sky is blue again) but it stops and starts a lot.
eric76
AG
I tried a colorblind test on youtube with each viewer.

With the java player, i.e. the colors reversed, I got all eight numbers. A couple were somewhat faint, but I did get them.

With the HTML5 player, i.e. the colors normal, I only got the first one and missed the other 7 numbers.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I could read only the first and simplest slide.
The last 7 slides, I have seen before, but still could not see a perfectly outlined number like others.
Most appear as random dots as they should to color blind people.
BTW I have known I was colorblind since Junior High.
I know that I was the only person in my class of 40-50 in High School drivers ed to admit he was color blind.
Try this page - Link
TravelAg2004
AG
I remember when I had to take a color blind test for AFROTC. First time I had ever seen the test and was going through a booklet of like 20 slides. Got about 2/3 of the way through and hadn't missed one and hit a slide where I couldn't see a number. Panicked and finally said "there isn't one?" which was correct.

Apparently people try and memorize or guess at them, so they throw a few curve balls in there too.
Average Joe
AG
I didn't find out I was colorblind until I was 25. I was at MEPS enlisting into the Air Force. Went from "do whatever you want" to "what kind of secretary do you want to be?"
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I have noticed that my brain (and I have head of others) processes images differently, other than color.
I would guess it is a compensation of the brain.

Camouflage does not work as well against the color blind.
While bowfishing I could spot a rising Gar in the muddy water near home a good minute before my friend.
I worked with a guy whose dad was 100% colorblind (sees black, white & gray), he was used as a WWII ground spotter (in a small plane) to find camouflage netting for artillery strikes.
When I recall an accident the last thing I will mention is color unless it is white or black, but I could tell you details others would not even notice such as sticker numbers, cracks in window, number of spokes on their wheels.
AgLiving06
quote:

With the java player, i.e. the colors reversed, I got all eight numbers. A couple were somewhat faint, but I did get them.

With the HTML5 player, i.e. the colors normal, I only got the first one and missed the other 7 numbers.

Should I be concerned if I could only see the first one?
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

That's all I got. I'm apparently a moderate protan (red green color blind) from another Web site I tested on.

Buck O Five
AG
Im sure youve all seen them by now, but get a pair of enchroma sunglasses. Seeing pink and purple for the first time at the age of 30 was pretty dramatic!
kb2001
AG
This sounds like a topic better discussed with your eye doctor, rather than youtube videos. The videos have given you an indication that something may be wrong, go see your eye doctor now
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
Im sure youve all seen them by now, but get a pair of enchroma sunglasses. Seeing pink and purple for the first time at the age of 30 was pretty dramatic!
yeah that's the other website I used to determine my level of colorblindness... just hate spending $400 for a pair glasses.

What type of colorblindness did that website say you have?
Buck O Five
AG
Moderate protan. There are a few stores that carry them in stock now just to try out. I remember trying them on and looking around thinking that most everything looked the same, then saw a green light actually look vibrant green rather than white. Worth the drive!
AgLiving06
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's all I got. I'm apparently a moderate protan (red green color blind) from another Web site I tested on.

I've known I was color blind. My freshman year I was trying to get into a military academy and I can only pass the most basic color tests.

No surprise. Would be super curious to see what it is like with the glasses on, but I just don't have 350 to spend.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
Moderate protan. There are a few stores that carry them in stock now just to try out. I remember trying them on and looking around thinking that most everything looked the same, then saw a green light actually look vibrant green rather than white. Worth the drive!

I used their website to find retailers near me. Closest place wanted me to make an appointment and charge me $50 just to try them on.

I may order a pair since they supposedly have a 30 day money back guarantee.
Mr.Ackar07
So what does it mean if you can see part of the number?

For question 2, there first time I watched I saw 71 instead of 74. On second viewing I could make out the rest of the 4 but it is faint. On question 5, I saw a 3 instead of a 2, but on second viewing I could see there why it was a 2.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
quote:

For question 2, there first time I watched I saw 71 instead of 74. On second viewing I could make out the rest of the 4 but it is faint. On question 5, I saw a 3 instead of a 2, but on second viewing I could see there why it was a 2.
I think that might indicate the degree to which you are color blind.
I have seen many of those test many times before and the only number I saw clearly was the first tile.
BTW, as stated above I am quite color blind.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:

Essentially it's a degree of that type of color blindness. I had some where I could see slight differences where there probably was a number but I could be 100% sure what number it was.

On those, I showed my wife the same number and she immediately called out the number without hesitation.

So it shows that you have some degree of colorblindness for whatever colors that particular test is testing you for, just not complete color blindness.

Way back in the 80's I got a pair of those blu-blocker sunglasses (yeah, I was totally rad). I remember playing the original Wasteland on my Commodore 64. In this game, when you were in a city, there was a top-down view of buildings. Blue buildings were active and you could go into them. Purple buildings were essentially just an image and you couldn't interact with them.

I could never tell the difference between the two buildings so I would just have to do trial-and-error to see if I could go into. I put the blu-blockers one day and then I could differentiate between the two buildings. It didn't let me see the purple and blue as true colors, but it let me see a difference I could then use to know which ones I could interact with.

In addition when i drove with the blu-blocker sunglass... all the blue colored signs would appear green (like a Hospital sign) and all the green colored signs would appear blue.

Buck O Five
AG
Digital reproduction seems to have a color correcting effect. I have a pink hibiscus where the flowers dont "pop," but when i take a camera phone picture, the blooms in the image look more pink and have more contrast. Curious of anyone else has that experience?
schmendeler
AG
quote:
Digital reproduction seems to have a color correcting effect. I have a pink hibiscus where the flowers dont "pop," but when i take a camera phone picture, the blooms in the image look more pink and have more contrast. Curious of anyone else has that experience?

Could just be the jpeg in-camera processing
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.