Wireless Provider

1,574 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 42799862
BR 12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I currently have AT&T and live in Dallas. We're looking at switching to T Mobile because it's so much cheaper for more data and free streaming.

For those with T Mobile, how is the typical signal strength for voice and data? I understand it varies regionally, but we're rarely outside the city unless driving to College Station or to other major Texas cities.
ElectricAg13
AG
I have been wondering this myself. I've always stayed away from T-Mobile for fear of bad service but their pricing and perks are making them seem like an viable alternative lately.
l0u10itd4n
http://opensignal.com/
jagouar1
AG
tmobile is excellent in the cities and decent outside. Their new 700 mhz signal has greatly improved coverage when you are outside the city. make sure you get a phone that is capable of supporting their new network band 12.

they give you a 30 day trial, take them up on it and determine if their coverage is good enough in the places you frequent.
UmustBKidding
Tmobile and Sprint have both improved their network significantly and likely to the point if your needs are in cities the lack of coverage in rural areas is worth losing for their aggressive price. One thing you need to understand on Tmo and their unlimited streaming plan is that the data rate is throttled. So you get lower resolution youtube and bitrate streaming audio. Which is fine with me be since they do not have layer 7 flow control you wind up with all your data being restricted. So if you want to download a large file from a site that is not free it still drops your data rate to between 1-2Mbps even though you are paying for it. Have friends who are crazy mad about this, they would download files to work on via cell since it was 10x faster then their landline internet but now their downloads are all pokey.
superunknown
AG
Cricket. At&t coverage at tmobile's prices.
BR 12
AG
So the data is throttled even outside of streaming? Say, for general web browsing or social media? Would that make any data usage noticeably slower than other providers?
UmustBKidding
They have complained about all downloads. EFF is now saying all video
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/01/eff-confirms-t-mobiles-bingeon-optimization-just-throttling-applies

Azariah
AG
quote:
Cricket. At&t coverage at tmobile's prices.

I'm pretty sure AT&T doesn't sell to MVNOs. That's only Sprint and TMobile.
MaroonTank
AG
bco2003
AG
He is referring to Binge On, which allows unlimited streaming of most video sites, restricted to a 480p resolution.

If you don't like that restriction, you can disable/enable Binge On at any time by the following codes:

#BOF# (#263#) - Disable Binge On

#BON# (#266#) - Enable Binge On

As others have said, T-Mobile has been great in cities for the last few years. And the recent 700 MHz spectrum rollouts have really stepped-up the rural coverage, and further improved the in-building city coverage.

BR 12
AG
Good to know its easy to turn off and on. It only restricts the quality over cellular, correct?
bco2003
AG
Yes, it limits the video resolution over cellular.

I'm employed by TMO, and literally there is about 1% of subscribers who opt of Binge On. Most people love it.
ElectricAg13
AG
Are there similar restrictions on the quality of audio you can stream while using Binge/Stream on?
Reveille
AG
There is no throttlingof data if you have the unlimited plan. It is only with the plans that have a cap so you can use data without it counting against you
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bco2003
AG
Streaming audio like Pandora is not changed, so original quality on them, and most streaming audio is free with eligible plans. Just video is optimized to 480p, if you are opted in to Binge On.
bco2003
AG
Not completely accurate Reveille. Unlimited plans are also opted in for Binge On by default. So even of you are on an unlimited plan, your streaming video will still be optimized to 480p, unless you opt out of Binge On.
jay040
I'd have to 2nd or 3rd Cricket Wireless. We started out with the $50 unlimited plan, but have now dropped down to the $35 2.5GB plan. It's still unlimited data, but you're throttled after 2.5 GB. I don't know about you, but 90% of the time I was on wifi. Since it's no contract, you can start out at a higher plan, use their tool on their website to review how much data you used, and then cut from there. I still haven't gone over 2.5GB over the past 2 months.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.