Need Hard Drive Reccomendation

1,038 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BrazosDog02
BrazosDog02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two days ago, my home PC running Windows 10 went to sleep....and never woke up. After powering off and back on, the boot gave a BIOS checksum error and after recovery it hangs on "Verifying DMI Pool Data". I disconnected every drive, and low and behold, once the MAIN drive was disconnected, it will boot from CDRom to Lubuntu.

So.....Im assuming this means my HD has died. So I have a couple of questions:

1.) What are the odds Im able to connect this to the computer after getting everything up and running and recover ANYTHING off of it. Most everything is backed up except for a few things. Lubuntu actually SEES the drive, but Im running this OS off the CDROM.

2.) The current drive is Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM

It was cheap...and this is why. I need something better, not break the bank expensive, but comparable and hopefully more reliable. Every time I upgrade my PC, i put the old drive as additional storage...I LITERALLY have 15 year old drives on this thing that are cranking right along.

UmustBKidding
The Seagate 3gb drives are class action suite candidates and every one built.is dead or will be shortly. Typically from not bootable to totally unrecoverable is just a few hours so if you are going to.have to have the data extracted go straight to the professional well regarded recovery service and not waste any little life left trying yourself.
Recommend Hitachi drives. Read the backblaze drive failure reports for relative suggestions.

Vade281
AG
I love WD. Seagate is the worse. Ive had every portable hdd of theirs fail.
pnut02
AG
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/

BrazosDog02
AG
Screw it. Im putting in an SSD. YOLO.
UmustBKidding
And SSD's are not immune to failure either. http://www.zdnet.com/article/ssd-reliability-in-the-real-world-googles-experience/
My son has had two fail under warranty and now uses RAID on his SSD's.
Make sure you backup.

BrazosDog02
AG
Yeah, I know. I just figure nows as good a time as any to give it a shot.
fig96
AG
There's zero reason not to go SSD these days, prices are competitive and the speed increase for day to day tasks is ridiculous.
tamusc
AG
chase128
AG
quote:
There's zero reason not to go SSD these days, prices are competitive and the speed increase for day to day tasks is ridiculous.

I second this. Running your OS and all your main programs off an SSD will greatly increase speeds. Probably one of, if not the, biggest upgrades to a PC.

Again, always backup.
powerbelly
AG
quote:

Over a terabyte there is a huge price difference.
tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah, I accidentally deleted my post, but that's what I was saying. Now, I'd totally recommend getting a 256GB or 512GB SSD for the main system drive and then get a regular HDD for storage.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:

But most people don't need to stick a terabyte drive in their machine If you have massive storage needs like that you should probably be on an external anyway.

I also think a lot of people who "need" that much storage are just digital hoarders, but that's another tangent
BrazosDog02
AG
Well, I ended up getting a 500GB SSD. But, Im also working on this HD hoping I can recover or figure out what in teh holy hell went wrong. I booted to seatools DOS and did a short and long test on the drive....it pass both. So...hopefully the drive is usable and just not bootable. Gonna try to run Macrium and see if I can fix the boot....:/ F---.
GreasenUSA
AG
Had this same error message with a 3TB Seagate drive on Win8.1 on my desktop a couple months back from a lightening storm. After fiddling around with connecting drives to different SATA ports, I found an installer for Windows and ran a startup repair if I remember correctly. This fixed it.
BrazosDog02
AG
Windows could not repair. Macrium did not fix the boot. But, getting to a makeshift desktop gui with a boot disk from tenforums allowed me to get the bios to update from @BIOS. This seems to have cured the issue. Like nothing happened. So wierd. I ran a battery of HD tests from seatools that ran overnight and the HD cleared and passed all of them.

No clue what freaked out but the disk is in fact fine.

So. I'll clone it to my ssd and reoverclock because I'm a glutton for punishment.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.