Win10 Upgrade stuck at 99%

1,284 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bigtruckguy3500
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Started the download around 25 hours ago, been stuck at 99% since about 6pm last night (~21 hours). Task manager still shows it using about 50% CPU, so I assume it's still doing its thing. And I've read online that it often gets stuck at 99%.

Anyone run into this problem? Is it about time I do a reboot and re-attempt with install media or something?

Edit: Got tired, restarted the computer at almost the 24 hour mark. Windows 7 installed some updates, not sure if that had anythign to do with it, but I created a Win10 DVD from my laptop that I started the install with. 30 minutes in and I'm at 9%, will update w/ progress if it finishes.

Edit 2: Windows finished updating completely. Round about 2 hours this time around. Definitely recommend you make the DVD to update. Not sure if I'll stick with it or revert though.

Edit 3: Probably going to switch back. My desktop is pushing 8.5 years old, and it still performs well, but some old drivers aren't there in Windows 10. And it takes way longer to boot up. Also, interesting fact, when you update to windows 10 from a genuine windows product, microsoft registers your hardware on its servers so in the future you can install windows 10 for free without a problem. Can also do a clean install and all that in the future, and it'll just recognize your hardware. Makes going back to windows 7 less of an issue for me. Might retry with a clean install at a future date.
Pman17
AG
With an old computer like that, best not to update to Windows 10. I've heard people trying to update old computers. Didn't work out well.
archangelus2
AG
I'm having the same exact problem.
VonDownByTheRiver
Trying to upgrade a nearly 9 year old PC to Win 10 would be like trying to upgrade the very first iPhone to iOS 9. Time for a new PC.
bigtruckguy3500
The switch back was only like 15 minutes or so and pretty straight forward. Windows 10 felt like it ran a little snappier than 7, but it took longer to boot up, and would hang on the boot screen from a cold start. I'd have to hit reset and then it would boot up all the way. Also felt a little more stable (not that Win7 is unstable) in that chrome had less hangups with flash and webgl.

Will probably build a new PC in May/June. My laptop is my main computer right now. Desktop is just for browsing the web and doing word/excel/powerpoint on a nicer/bigger screen.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.