Multiple monitors?

2,102 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Azariah
BusterAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I currently have an old desktop running two monitors. I trade a lot now, and I need to upgrade to four monitors.

Is anyone else running a similar setup? Trying to do this cheaply, but still be able to run 100 tab excel models and three trading windows at the same time.

Suggestions are appreciated, mostly related to the computer / video cards used.
92Ag95
AG
Matrox Triple Head To Go
chipotle
Post your current desktop model so we know what card would be compatible. Depending on the monitor resolution you shouldn't need that strong a graphic card(s) to push to 4 monitors.
BusterAg
AG
I have a very old Dell, and need to upgrade, I believe. Inspirion 560. It can handle 2 monitors, doubt it can handle 4.
chipotle
From the quick google search I just did the 560 has two internal slots: PCIe x1 and PCIe x16. If you're already using one slot for a video card to use for dual monitors I would think you could just get another inexpensive graphics cards on newegg to utilize 4 monitors.
UmustBKidding
x1 pci-e slot display cards are typically not great, but the do work and typically support one monitor. The best solution for multiple monitors on machines with slot limitations is to use a card that supports DisplayPort 1.2 and display port monitors. Depending on resolution Display port can drive up to 5 monitors http://www.displayport.org/cables/driving-multiple-displays-from-a-single-displayport-output/
USB display adapters are an option also but not near as powerful as display port. I have a old high resolution 30" display that requires dual DVI and a 27" display on an pcie-x1 card. The 27 typically has static things like IM, email and other low refresh items and my larger display is where real time data lives.
Biggest issue with my X1 display is its drivers don't get refreshed often so my good display adapter can't be updated at times since they are from the same vendor (Nvidia). Was a completely different but worse set of problems having one ATI and one NVidia ccard in the system.

BusterAg
AG
I'm pretty sure that 3 monitors of stock charts and a huge excel model will make smoke come out my computer's ears. It has a hard enough time with just two sets of live stock feeds. I guess that I could just buy a new graphics card and try it out, though. If it doesn't work, I can just put that graphics card into a newer computer?

AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
40" monitor bros.
eric76
AG
Don't forget that some graphics cards can use a lot of power.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
I run two monitors. 32 and 40 inch. They aren't great but they do the job and I am looking at upgrading just like you are.

Here is a list of cheap graphic cards that "should" do the job. A batch of new graphics cards just hit the market so if you wait another month or so (maybe even now) then the older ones that used to be considered really good (and still are) will come down a bunch in price. http://multimonitorcomputer.com/top-4-best-videocard-for-multiple-monitor-computers.php The GeForce GT 740 is the best bang for the buck but it can only hold 3 monitors according tot he article. With the GeForce GT 720 the author says you can put two of the graphics cards and that can support up to 9 monitors. Not bad for only $110 in graphic cards.

The biggest issue for me is the resolution, yes having a big monitor is nice but I would rather be able to fit more on the screen when looking at charts which is why my next set of monitors will have at leas two of the 27-inch monitors (probably bigger) and have a resolution of 2560x1440. The graphic cards I am looking at are also used for gaming since I also play a couple of video games whenever I have some free time.

claym711
AG
I just want to know where you got a 100 tab excel model and what the hell you use it for to trade stocks.
chipotle
Had no idea excel model and stock feeds were so intensive.
Jack Boyett
AG
I just went to 4 monitor setup. I ordered these 24" monitors for $130.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0148NNKTC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Problem was, they were not VESA mount, so I had to buy these adapters to mount them on the monitor stand.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01771Q6U2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You don't need a graphics card. You can use these USB adapters and put as many monitors as your computer will handle for $49 each.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2E1MQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a list of recommended equipment from my broker.
http://stage5trading.com/news-posts/recommended-trading-equipment/
bigtruckguy3500
I have nothing to add, but this sounds cool.
aezmvp
Highly recommend the 21:9 format with two monitors either mounted side by side or vertically depending on your preference. Totally worth it.
dubi
AG
I'm running 2 dual-dvi 30" monitors and they really do the work of 4.

An ancient Dell ultrasharp and a Monoprice LED that is awesome!
BusterAg
AG
quote:
I just want to know where you got a 100 tab excel model and what the hell you use it for to trade stocks.
I built the model to value a group of assets held by a publicly traded company. Had to model out projections for 15 different WW markets.
BusterAg
AG
helpful comments here, guys. Thanks.
Azariah
AG
quote:
I currently have an old desktop running two monitors. I trade a lot now, and I need to upgrade to four monitors.

Is anyone else running a similar setup? Trying to do this cheaply, but still be able to run 100 tab excel models and three trading windows at the same time.

Suggestions are appreciated, mostly related to the computer / video cards used.

If you are heavily enough into trading to need four monitors to "run 100 tab excel models and three trading windows at the same time" then you need to stop being cheap. Buy a new PC that can drive what you're doing, and invest in good monitors.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.