iOS 10 Beta/Public Beta

7,981 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Brick Tamland
ElectricAg13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone out there already installed any of the iOS 10 Beta's or planning on installing the Public Beta today? What have your experiences been and why did you decide to jump in with the beta? What have your favorite new features been. Looking forward to watching the OS improve over the next few months.
boboguitar
AG
I have ios10 on my phone, new watchOS on my watch and the new macOS on my Mac.
RAT90
AG
Same as bobo.

Once the wife sees I have things on my iPad that she does not have I will have to install it on her devices.

So far so good. I do not like having to use touchID and then press the button to unlock it. Split screen in safari is cool. If I had home automation stuff I am sure that would be cool.

I think the keyboard is better. The new text stuff is cool. Email is much improved.

I choose English (Ireland) as the Siri voice and she sounds like a robot.
Wildmen03
AG
Thanks for the heads up, didn't know it was out yet. Put it on my phone this afternoon. iPad install coming shortly.
tamusc
AG
Debating messing around with it, but I think I'll wait a few more builds to ensure it's a little more stable. Also unsure how my work's MDM software will play with it (personal phone, but MDM software required if I want to get work email on it).
ElectricAg13
AG
I put the beta on last night. Enjoying it so far. I'm impressed with how well it works as far as betas go. I remember ios 9's first beta last year was not near as friendly.

I have an iPhone 6 and have to agree with you RTA, the push to unlock is kind of a pain. I'm hoping it will be less of one as optimizations start coming out with the next betas. Without raise to wake it's a lot less fluid. I like that they tried something new, but not sure how I feel about this one yet. I can't imagine what the push to unlock feature is like without some sort of Touch ID. Assuming you use a pass code.

How's battery life been for yall so far? I burned through a bunch on the way in today using the new maps so I haven't really gotten a good feel for normal usage yet.

How's WatchOS 3 been? It looks pretty sweet.
Pman17
AG
Been using iOS 10 all day. I'm surprised there aren't many bugs with apps. iOS 9 Beta was terrible! I got HomeKit to work with my Ecobee3. Just installed Sierra, I'll let ya'll know how that does. Last summer in Public Beta I had a problem with Final Cut Pro and could not do anything till that updated.
RAT90
AG
Well, the wife figured it out and now I am installing on her iPad.
Pman17
AG
iOS 10 is slightly slower but does improve battery life on some phones

Raptor
AG
How do you get the beta version?
Wildmen03
AG
https://www.google.com/search?q=ios+public+beta&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Charpie
AG
I've done the last 4 beta releases for iOS. This is by far the best and smoothest.
tamusc
AG
Hmm, maybe I'll give it a shot when I get back to Austin then.
Pman17
AG
quote:
https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Sign up with Apple ID. Be sure you back up your phone. Download the profile and install. iPhone should restart. Then go to software update in settings and boom!
Pman17
AG
Wish more people would have this. I want to have fun with iMessage!
Charpie
AG
Me too
ElectricAg13
AG
Went on a day trip yesterday and used the new maps. I have to say the new improvements are pretty great. I was impressed with the ease of use. Its different so that slowed me down, but it wasn't difficult to pick up.

Who all has had better battery life so far? Mine hasn't been bad but I have noticed that Apple Music does drain my battery more than it did on 9.3.3. Other than that it's pretty solid.
OXDL45
AG
Downloaded iOS 10 last night.

I had some minor issues with the touch screen not active in certain points. For example, the down arrow to get to the bottom of the page wasn't working but somehow now is on TexAgs.

Other than that each app has worked pretty smoothly.
Wildmen03
AG
I've had something similar happen to me. I think it's exclusively happening in Safari. I would touch a link on a page only to have it not register my touch. Sometimes long-touching it works, other times I have to press it with a different part of my finger.

Annoying for sure.
StringerBell
AG
installing it now. first time i've done a beta.
ElectricAg13
AG
I cant wait to see what developers do with the new bells and whistles in iOS 10. Widgets can be way more useful now and even buggy rich notifications are amazing. Siri integration is just icing on the cake. The more I use this beta the more impressed I am and excited to see what else is released!

One feature hold back I don't understand is raise to wake. is there really that much difference between the M8 and M9 coprocessors? I know M9 is integrated into the A9. other than the mic always on, are there any other major differences in the hardware?
Raptor
AG
quote:
quote:
https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Sign up with Apple ID. Be sure you back up your phone. Download the profile and install. iPhone should restart. Then go to software update in settings and boom!

Gracias!
Brick Tamland
Can people who don't use iOS 10 see the messages effects?

edit: answer is no

The software update isn't showing up for my watch..
RAT90
AG
Watch beta is only for developers now.
Brick Tamland
Would it be risky to update my Mac to Sierra without backing it up? All of my files are stored in iCloud.
Brick Tamland
Thanks. That would make sense. It allowed me to download a beta profile but the software update tab said I was up to date.
RAT90
AG
There is always risk involved, it just depends on your level of comfort. Just make a time machine backup and you should be fine. BTW, the new iCloud Drive auto saves your documents folder and desktop.
Brick Tamland
Yeah I don't have a time machine, which is why I proposed the question. I know that's the only way of going back to El Capitan. Might just hold out like I did last year. Really liking iOS 10. I got my sister to get it so I could check out the messaging features since my wife hates technology
ElectricAg13
AG
Question for someone with a 6s running the beta.

When you open up a messages rich notification are you able to scroll up and read multiple texts (assuming you're phone is unlocked so it will show you your conversation history) I can see past messages on my 6 but only the ones it shows when I first open the notification. I am unable to scroll up to read even more messages like i would be able to from within the messages app.

I was curious if that was just a bug on the 6 preventing me from scrolling within that messages notification bubble or the way the feature was set up on all iOS 10 beta's.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
Watch beta is only for developers now.

The new watch layout is a bit more inuitive now but it's not a huge change. It's a bit faster and flows better, in all, a decent update.
AGSmith
AG
iOS10 public beta on 6s here.

When I try to open an app that's in a folder, the screen will occasionally go into "icon move/app delete" mode. I have to hit the home button to get out of that mode and then I'm able to open the app.

Anyone else experiencing this?
StringerBell
AG
yep, seems like the screen is super sensitive. i've had the same issue.

my bank of america app doesnt work on ios10

really like the new notification system though.
Charpie
AG
That has been the only drawback so far with ios10. Stupid BOA
ElectricAg13
AG
I've had the same BOA app problems too. Heard they are going to be releasing a fully redesigned version soon? Hopefully whatever is making the app crash now won't be an issue with the new redesign. I know it's not being released to be optimized with iOS 10 at this time but enough other iOS 9 apps work in 10 that I'm hopeful
Al Bula
AG
I have my photos organized by year in albums. Seems iOS 10 reads a different metadata tag to organize pics. Now pics from 2012 show up in the 2005 folder. Or this is a bug since the photos show up with the correct date but in wrong folder.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.