Ecobee vs Nest

6,930 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aggielandma12
bco2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought a brand new sealed ecobee3 on eBay a fee weeks ago for $160, getting close to the Nest out of pocket after the Coserv rebate.

Interesting also Coserv is only giving the rebate on Nests this year. In previous years, it was for any thermostat.
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
Will you tell me how it is?

I love it so far. Installation was not difficult; the instructions, YouTube videos, and phone support are all outstanding. I replaced an old Bryant mercury switch thermostat with the ecobee3. I did have to access my furnace wiring control panel to connect a power wire (C wire) that was not necessary with the original thermostat. (The builder ran the wire when my condo was built and left it unconnected at the furnace end and the thermostat end, so I didn't have to run anything. Phone support talked me through it with no problems.) I'm neither a handyman nor an electrician. Anyone who can use basic tools (screwdriver, hammer, wirestripper, etc) and knows where to turn off power to their system should have no trouble doing the install themselves. Watch the YouTube videos to get an idea of what the installation is like. (Search for "ecobee 3 installation".)

The unit itself is great. It practically sets itself up. Prompts are displayed throughout the setup process. The remote sensor pairs up with the main unit easily.
Aggielandma12
AG
So I have one AC unit with a thermostat upstairs and downstairs. Would I need two Ecobeees?
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
So I have one AC unit with a thermostat upstairs and downstairs. Would I need two Ecobeees?
Nope. The ecobee replaces one thermostat, and you use the included extra sensor in the other location. You'd disconnect the unused thermostat, I suppose. ecobee phone support was awesome; I'd give them a call and ask if you're unsure.
txag2008
AG
quote:
quote:
Nope. The ecobee replaces one thermostat, and you use the included extra sensor in the other location. You'd disconnect the unused thermostat, I suppose. ecobee phone support was awesome; I'd give them a call and ask if you're unsure.
This may not be the case at all. The sensor isn't simply a replacement for a thermostat. Replacing the stat with the ecobee sensor only works if the 2nd stat is just being used solely for its temperature input
Aggielandma12
AG
What's your thoughts on running the fan 100% of the time?
txag2008
AG
Why would you want to do that?
Aggielandma12
AG
http://www.fplblog.com/featured-posts/acsetting/

http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-291026.html

For many homes, it is the way to go.
For others, maybe not so much.

Our home is a split entry. As a result of its open stair construction, heated air rises, and cold air falls to the opposite levels.

The result of this natural heating change in temperature, caused by the simple fact that hot air rises and cold air falls; is that, without continuous air movement, the temps will be many degrees warmer upstairs than down stairs.

Also, in the summer time the cold AC air will tend to remain in the lower level and the hotter air will tend to remain trapped in the upper levels.

But, by leaving the fan on continuously - as we have for the last many years, the temps in all rooms of the home remain within a degree or two of each other.

Also, there is never any feeling of dampness in the lower level, that may naturally occur if air is left undisturbed in the heat of the summer.

-----------------------------------
Yes, it costs some $$ to leave the fan on all of the time, but for ourselves, we would not have it any other way.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.